Love bugs - yet??

peanutter

A couple of those artificial sponges covered in nylon mesh. Soft enough not to damage the paint but strong enough to remove the bugs and their residue. Soak them then leave wet and keep in a zip lock bag. Pick up and artificial chamois (got mine at Walmart). The mesh sponges will remove the bugs as long as they are wet then wipe down the paint with the chamois. I keep a kit in each vehicle and one in the garage.

Thank you.

Evidently love bugs are now present on I-10 in north Florida. Dw went from Tallahassee to Madison yesterday and front grill is now covered with carcasses.

Thanks Tanker for the cleaning kit ideas. Add a little Johnsons Baby shampoo and baking soda to the water. Some people use used dryer sheets instead of nylon sponges. Also spray a light coat of Pam over the nose of the hood at first signs of bugs, or before hitting th eroad on any long road trip. Helps make removal easier. Rain X on windshield and side mirrors helps too.

Evidently love bugs are now present on I-10 in north Florida. Dw went from Tallahassee to Madison yesterday and front grill is now covered with carcasses.

Thanks Tanker for the cleaning kit ideas. Add a little Johnsons Baby shampoo and baking soda to the water. Some people use used dryer sheets instead of nylon sponges. Also spray a light coat of Pam over the nose of the hood at first signs of bugs, or before hitting th eroad on any long road trip. Helps make removal easier. Rain X on windshield and side mirrors helps too.

Good ideas. I've been using Rain-X for years and also the Pam spray before going on long trips but hadn't heard about the baby shampoo and baking soda. Thanks for the tip.

We've been enjoying the APDIP (another perfect day in paradise) weather here this time of year but don't look forward to the love bugs. Funny how we never heard of a love bug much less saw any when I was growing up here. Moved away for some years then when In came back, they seemed to be everywhere in May and Sept. Where they came from and how they got here, guess that's another story...................Have a good one. I'm gonna go round up the shampoo and baking soda.

Good ideas. I've been using Rain-X for years and also the Pam spray before going on long trips but hadn't heard about the baby shampoo and baking soda. Thanks for the tip.

We've been enjoying the APDIP (another perfect day in paradise) weather here this time of year but don't look forward to the love bugs. Funny how we never heard of a love bug much less saw any when I was growing up here. Moved away for some years then when In came back, they seemed to be everywhere in May and Sept. Where they came from and how they got here, guess that's another story...................Have a good one. I'm gonna go round up the shampoo and baking soda.

I heard an interesting story vis-a-vis these bugs. This fellow opined that years ago someone projected a theory that they would help control the mosquito population; hence, they were imprted to Fl. Of course, it did not work. Maybe somewhat analagous to the feral pig scenario.

I heard an interesting story vis-a-vis these bugs. This fellow opined that years ago someone projected a theory that they would help control the mosquito population; hence, they were imprted to Fl. Of course, it did not work. Maybe somewhat analagous to the feral pig scenario.

I've heard that story also and and that the theory was developed at UF. Sure hope not as I've been a Gator Guy most of my life.:)

I've heard that story also and and that the theory was developed at UF. Sure hope not as I've been a Gator Guy most of my life.:)

Trust me I would love to pin the Love Bugs on the Gators, :D sadly being the honest guy that I am I can't

http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/hot_topics/environment/lovebugs.html

I got turned on to Poorboy's bug remover as I'm pretty antsy about putting anything on my car. You can get it online, but I order it from autogeek.net. If you are ever in the Stuart area, you can go to their warehouse and pick it up...super nice people over there.

Trust me I would love to pin the Love Bugs on the Gators, :D sadly being the honest guy that I am I can't

http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/hot_topics/environment/lovebugs.html

I got turned on to Poorboy's bug remover as I'm pretty antsy about putting anything on my car. You can get it online, but I order it from autogeek.net. If you are ever in the Stuart area, you can go to their warehouse and pick it up...super nice people over there.

Thanks for the info and your honesty.:) I must confess that even though I'm from Tampa I'm not much of a Bucs fan but I've liked the Dolphins for years.

Must have been concocted by a transfer from UTx or East Texas:D. We drove down Hwy 59 from Texarkana to Houston one year and had to stop at at least 4 times to wipe them off the windshield. You could see them in black swarms 100 yrads or more down the road. I think the van we had still had a few remanents on the grill when we traded it it a couple of years later. They can be bad here in Flroida but yet to see them that bad.

Must have been concocted by a transfer from UTx or East Texas:D. We drove down Hwy 59 from Texarkana to Houston one year and had to stop at at least 4 times to wipe them off the windshield. You could see them in black swarms 100 yrads or more down the road. I think the van we had still had a few remanents on the grill when we traded it it a couple of years later. They can be bad here in Flroida but yet to see them that bad.

I was in East Texas last week (Hwy 59 from Houston to Nacogdoches) to visit my son and his family and they were talking about how bad the love bugs were there. Told him they couldn't be as bad as Florida and he said "they're worse" so I guess nothing has changed out there.

We're getting small swarms in sarasota now. We have used spray vegetable oil on the front of the car to make it easier to wash off. It's worked.

Isn't that bad for the paint though? I know some use Wd40, but use caution be ause Wd40 attacks plastic which most bumpers are made from these days.

Isn't that bad for the paint though? I know some use Wd40, but use caution be ause Wd40 attacks plastic which most bumpers are made from these days.

Saw a few this morning in Sarasota and sprayed off the car they hosed down the front of it with PAM.

Yogi, I'm pretty picky about my mercedes but the PAM doesn't hurt it at all.

Saw a few this morning in Sarasota and sprayed off the car they hosed down the front of it with PAM.

Yogi, I'm pretty picky about my mercedes but the PAM doesn't hurt it at all.

Thanks BH...the yogimobiles are older, but look new because I stay on top of the paint finish, I'll give it a shot next weekend, going fishing off Loop Road down the Trail.

Yesterday I found my self on I-95 from PC area to Stuart and back - 100+ each way - and had 3 or four splats to clean off.

Last year the middle of May was the worst LB season I've seen here in the Cocoa area. I participated in a car show last 15 May at the International Palms and the LBs were so bad you could hardly stand in one place. The beach side grill was absolutely unusable. That week even my 5 mile commute to work would find my car covered with splats until I found that if I kept my speed over 35 but under 50 they would usually carry over the car rather than meet their demise!

If you REALLY REALLY want to keep 'em off - real hard core car folks who are heading out for some spirited driving will coat all the front edges of the car in masking tape - usually the blue stuff. (not the glass obviously but the painted areas) Sort of a temporary bra . . . you see this at autocross events routinely, and pictures of folks driving "The Dragon"

Archived