Barcelona - Hop On Hop Off Bus

• 2 weeks later...
We're in Barcelona for a few days pre-cruise and I've put together some info that may be helpful, including maps, Turistic hop-on-off bus routes, etc.

http://www.gummy-stuff.org/Barcelona-cruise.htm

You did a FANTASTIC job putting this web site together! I've already got it bookmarked. Plus I bookmarked a few web sites you linked to since they were also useful!

Barcelona:

TO HELP GET BEARINGS:

Placa de Catalunya (Plaza/Square)see lower middle yellow

is hub of the hop on hop off buses (blue red)(Green transfer)

and is at upper end of action of Las Rambla

barcelona-hop-on-hop-off-tour-north-to-south-route-in-barcelona-49597.jpg

PORT MAP

and transfer buses

from Columbus Monument to Ships

starting at lower end of action of Las Rambla

Barcelona-Port-Map.gif

Thanks - great idea about the ear phones... I will let everyone know my experience with the red HOHO:D

Hi there,

Can you provide the address of the apartment you stayed in at Placa Espanya?

I'm going to metro there from the Eric Vokel gran via (just a few stops away) and I would like to know exactly where the Red HOHO bus stop is so that I don't wander around the traffic circle with babies looking for it :D

Thanks!

Hi there,

Can you provide the address of the apartment you stayed in at Placa Espanya?

I'm going to metro there from the Eric Vokel gran via (just a few stops away) and I would like to know exactly where the Red HOHO bus stop is so that I don't wander around the traffic circle with babies looking for it :D

Thanks!

Get to the Placa Espanya, and look for the towers; that is where the Red Bus picks up and drops off...

• 3 weeks later...
So if I buy an online ticket from http://www.city-sightseeing.com.

This means I can't just get on at any stop? I would have to go somewhere to trade it for a real ticket? Where exactly in downtown would I have to do this?

If you book with Barcelona City Tours (red bus) you exchange your online voucher for your ticket on the bus at any stop. Don't forget you will need an ID card or passport to collect your pre-ordered tickets.

If you book with Bus Turístic (blue and white bus) you need to exchange your online voucher for a ticket at Plaça de Catalunya or Plaça Sant Jaume in the Gothic Quarter.

The link you gave, although it doesn't specify, looks like the Bus Turistic as it has 3 routes.

For more information see the Barcelona information link in my signature

So if I buy an online ticket from http://www.city-sightseeing.com.

This means I can't just get on at any stop? I would have to go somewhere to trade it for a real ticket? Where exactly in downtown would I have to do this?

JMHO...Just make it easy on yourself and go with the Barcelona City Tour (red bus) you can pre-pay and hop on anywhere...You won't be disappointed....Enjoy !!

Just to add to my previous post about exchanging your Bus Turistic online voucher for tickets.

In addition to Plaça Catalunya and Plaça Sant Jaume it is also possible to exchange the vouchers at the following

Barcelona Airport (from 8.30 to 20.30), Sants station (from 8.00 to 20.00) and Columbus Monument (from 9.30 to 15.30)

Depending on where you are staying you may find these more convenient.

Also, recently there was talk of Bus Turistic allowing voucher exchange on the buses to bring them in line with City Tours. I don't think this has happened yet but it might be by this summer.

Thank you for the helpful info. Ha, I thought the site I was on was the red bus. But you are right, it's not. That really clears a lot of things up for me. :)

No, the site you were on is an agency selling HoHo bus tickets all over the world.

The 2 sites for selling Barcelona tickets are

City Tour tickets

Bus Turistic tickets

• 3 weeks later...
No, the site you were on is an agency selling HoHo bus tickets all over the world.

The 2 sites for selling Barcelona tickets are

City Tour tickets

Bus Turistic tickets

Hi Carol. Many thanks for your willingness to help all of us newbies to Barcelona. Your suggestions are very helpful.

We have decided to stay at the Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona. The price was right (using points) and I usually get upgraded as a Diamond.

My question is regarding the hoho bus tours. Since we are at the HDMB is there one of the companies that would be more convenient to our hotel? I have looked at the routes on line and it looks like they both come close to the hotel but just wondered if you had a recommendation.

Thanks for all your help. David

Hi Carol. Many thanks for your willingness to help all of us newbies to Barcelona. Your suggestions are very helpful.

We have decided to stay at the Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona. The price was right (using points) and I usually get upgraded as a Diamond.

My question is regarding the hoho bus tours. Since we are at the HDMB is there one of the companies that would be more convenient to our hotel? I have looked at the routes on line and it looks like they both come close to the hotel but just wondered if you had a recommendation.

Thanks for all your help. David

City Tour (red bus). The nearest stop to your hotel is Fòrum which is on the east route.

Bus Turistic (blue & white bus). You would need the green route which only runs in the summer (end of March to end of October). The hotel is about half way between the stops Fòrum and Parc Diagonal Mar. At Parc Diagonal Mar buses go either towards Fòrum or towards the city centre.

All of these stops are within 5 minutes walk

My advice would be to go with the City Tour option as the bus that goes along near your hotel is one of their main routes.

With Bus Turistic their green route only does a circular tour from Port Olimpic down to Fòrum. You would need to change onto their red route to get to any of the main sightseeing points.

City Tour (red bus). The nearest stop to your hotel is Fòrum which is on the east route.

Bus Turistic (blue & white bus). You would need the green route which only runs in the summer (end of March to end of October). The hotel is about half way between the stops Fòrum and Parc Diagonal Mar. At Parc Diagonal Mar buses go either towards Fòrum or towards the city centre.

All of these stops are within 5 minutes walk

My advice would be to go with the City Tour option as the bus that goes along near your hotel is one of their main routes.

With Bus Turistic their green route only does a circular tour from Port Olimpic down to Fòrum. You would need to change onto their red route to get to any of the main sightseeing points.

Thanks, Carol. We appreciate your knowledgeable advice! Red bus it is. David

Just a quick question regarding the Barcelona City Tour HOHO. Does anyone know what time the buses start in the AM? AM I missing that information on their website? Trying to book tickets for Sagrada Familia and want to know what time I should be aiming for. Any help would be appreciated.

Just a quick question regarding the Barcelona City Tour HOHO. Does anyone know what time the buses start in the AM? AM I missing that information on their website? Trying to book tickets for Sagrada Familia and want to know what time I should be aiming for. Any help would be appreciated.

It varies by the time of year but it usually starts at about 9am. For actual times you will need to wait until you are there and check their timetables.

Just back from Barcelona, we used the red bus (Barcelona City Tours) and were very satisfied. we bought our vouchers online from home, simpy presented them on the bus and received our tickets. Service was frequent, never a problem finding a seat, buses were clean, staff was cheerful, audio tour was informative and user friendly.

We took the red HOHO bus and did a full loop first. It took about 2 hours in stop and start city traffic. We were going to do the loop twice but after all the stop and start traffic we decided against a second loop. My advice is to figure out what you want to see and just do the loop once checking out sites as you go. I wished we had just bought a one day ticket, rode the route and then did the Metro the second day to the sites we wanted to go back and see.

I agree with buying a one day hop on-off bus pass and then taking the metro to places you really want to see. We enjoyed our bus tour but you do spend time in traffic, and also at the various stops loading and unloading passengers. Be careful to hold on to your ticket, it's just a piece of paper, looks like a receipt but that is what you'll need to reboard. Some people had to stop and try to find them which also caused some delay. We went with the 11 am -- noon entry window at Sagrada Familia, studied the bus route to estimate how long it would take to get there since the total bus loop was about 2 hours, allowed a little extra and it worked perfectly. The line for online ticket purchasers is to the right of the main line and is clearly marked, you scan your tickets and walk right in.

Can anyone suggest the best ways to get from the Norwegian NCL Port to the Red Bus (Do I need to get on at Plata Catalunya or is there a closer spot from port) Thank You!!

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic

welcome.gif

You can get the port bus to the Columbus Monument and board the City Tour (red) bus there. The buses that stop here are for the West Route only.

If you want the East Route the easiest stop is Plaça Catalunya. This is not the nearest East Route stop but you can have an interesting walk up Las Ramblas with the added advantage that at Plaça Catalunya, you have the choice of either route.

The disadvantage of getting on there is that it is a very popular stop and gets very busy.

There is a list of stops and other information on my Barcelona Information pages (see link in my signature)

Hi there (I posted a new thread before realizing this is where you ask the HOHO questions, sorry),

My hotel stay includes Bus Turistic tickets. We are staying at the Eric Vokel Gran Via. Placa Espanya is the closest HOHO stop. Do you think it is possible to find seats for 7 at this stop in the morning around 10am? Placa Espanya looks to be one of the earlier stops on the HOHO route and I'm concerned that we will end up just watching buses go by.

Other than Placa Catalunya, where is the best place to get on the HOHO without crowds?

We are visiting in 3 weeks,at the end of May. I'd like to time it so that we're not waiting in a crazy line just to get on the bus. We plan on staying on for the entire loop until the Gothic Quarter.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Archived