Barcelona - Hop On Hop Off Bus

I am wanting to book this bus service but confused on the routes. There is either an option for East/West or North/South. I had read somewhere that you can use all the service.

Any experience with the hop on hop off bus tours and whether you can actually use all the routes if just purchasing one route over the other?

Here is the other company for you to compare

http://www.barcelona-bus-turistic.com

Thanks - I just don't understand what the differences may be. How is the metro in Barcelona? Since I have not traveled to Barcelona, I am apprehensive about venturing out on my own through the subway...

Looks like you are leaving for a cruise soon!!! Have fun!!

Do either/both of these buses stop at the port?

-----------------

Helen

I am pretty sure, No...but hope someone can give us a definite answer. I have read where you would need to get to Columbus Circle and then you can get transported to the pier. But would like to know for sure...thanks for asking:)

If You only have one day in Barcelona, I would definitely use the HoHo bus. Otherwise, the Metro is the way to go. We found it pretty easy to navigate. Although, in some stations, it felt like we were walking forever. We used the Metro app in Barcelona & in Paris and it worked great. Especially for me, since I suck at reading maps! :)

Like anywhere else in the world, just be aware of your surroundings.

If You only have one day in Barcelona, I would definitely use the HoHo bus. Otherwise, the Metro is the way to go. We found it pretty easy to navigate. Although, in some stations, it felt like we were walking forever. We used the Metro app in Barcelona & in Paris and it worked great. Especially for me, since I suck at reading maps! :)

Like anywhere else in the world, just be aware of your surroundings.

Thanks for the info. We will be there for two full days before the cruise. I really think the metro is better priced but I am concerned about reading the lines, etc; plus I do not know spanish...:)

If you just want to get from one place to another the Metro will be best. The HoHo bus is better if you want to see things as you travel between places. You sometimes have to wait a while to get on a bus at busy times at the most popular locations.

As long as you have a reasonable map showing the Metro stations and a map of the Metro lines it is very easy to use.

You can get the bus to the Columbus Monument at the base of the Ramblas. You can then get a port shuttle bus from there.

Enjoy Barcelona, it is wonderful. It is only about 300 miles from where we live and we will be there tomorrow to board our cruise :)

Thanks for the info. We will be there for two full days before the cruise. I really think the metro is better priced but I am concerned about reading the lines, etc; plus I do not know spanish...:)

The HOHO bus is the best bargain in Barcelona and the most fun. We do it every time we are there. If the weather is nice, just sit on the top deck and take in all the scenery. We usually go around once just to veg and enjoy and then go back around and get off where we choose.

Just get to Playa Catalunya and get on the bus, buy your ticket as you get on. If you are on the east side of the square, you will be heading north (that's where most of the fab attractions are - La Sagrada, Park Guell, Casa Batllo, etc). If you are on the west side of the square, you will be heading south and I think west eventually - we have never done this route.

Barcelona is an easy city to do on your own. The HOHO plus the Ramblas plus Barri Gotic and you've got it made. Stroll and enjoy.

If you just want to get from one place to another the Metro will be best. The HoHo bus is better if you want to see things as you travel between places. You sometimes have to wait a while to get on a bus at busy times at the most popular locations.

As long as you have a reasonable map showing the Metro stations and a map of the Metro lines it is very easy to use.

You can get the bus to the Columbus Monument at the base of the Ramblas. You can then get a port shuttle bus from there.

Enjoy Barcelona, it is wonderful. It is only about 300 miles from where we live and we will be there tomorrow to board our cruise :)

Thanks so much for confirming the information!! Bon Voyage! When you get back I will be cruising... I will check back and let everyone know about my experience....

The HOHO bus is the best bargain in Barcelona and the most fun. We do it every time we are there. If the weather is nice, just sit on the top deck and take in all the scenery. We usually go around once just to veg and enjoy and then go back around and get off where we choose.

Just get to Playa Catalunya and get on the bus, buy your ticket as you get on. If you are on the east side of the square, you will be heading north (that's where most of the fab attractions are - La Sagrada, Park Guell, Casa Batllo, etc). If you are on the west side of the square, you will be heading south and I think west eventually - we have never done this route.

Barcelona is an easy city to do on your own. The HOHO plus the Ramblas plus Barri Gotic and you've got it made. Stroll and enjoy.

We have an apartment at Placa Espanya; so I believe that is pretty close to Playa Catalunya...:eek:

Here is the other company for you to compare

http://www.barcelona-bus-turistic.com

Yes, this is the one we used and it was FANTASTIC! We bought a two-day pass and went all around the city. It was wonderful. However, do NOT buy your tickets online to save money. We did, thinking we were so smart, but then did not realize that you have to make your way downtown to get them "exchanged" for real paper, dated tickets. We were in a hotel way at the other end of town so this was not a good option for us. Unless you are staying right in town, just wait and buy your HoHo tix when you get there.

Have fun!

Yes, this is the one we used and it was FANTASTIC! We bought a two-day pass and went all around the city. It was wonderful. However, do NOT buy your tickets online to save money. We did, thinking we were so smart, but then did not realize that you have to make your way downtown to get them "exchanged" for real paper, dated tickets. We were in a hotel way at the other end of town so this was not a good option for us. Unless you are staying right in town, just wait and buy your HoHo tix when you get there.

Have fun!

Thanks for the post. I went ahead and purchased the Barcelona City Tour bus company for two days. It actually picks up in front of the apartment at Placa Espanya but unfortunately I do have to go to another location to get the ticket validated but it did mention you could at the airport; I believe.. so before we get on the Aerobus that goes directly to Placa Espanya we will validate those at the airport if not we will have to walk to the placa do the street..

No, not close at all. But I'll bet there's a place to catch the HOHO bus right there at Playa Espanya.

Yes, the touristic company went further down the road and not at Placa Espanya...

but the barcelona city tour company will let you change buses without issue apparently..

....I do have to go to another location to get the ticket validated but it did mention you could at the airport....

Yes, we knew that too but just so you know, your time starts when you validate your ticket. In other words, if you have a 24 or 48 hour pass, the ticker starts when you validate. That just didn't work for us and we knew we would lose at least half a day doing that at the airport... BUT.... it is a good option if it works in your favor. :)

Have fun! Barcelona is amazing.

Yes, we knew that too but just so you know, your time starts when you validate your ticket. In other words, if you have a 24 or 48 hour pass, the ticker starts when you validate. That just didn't work for us and we knew we would lose at least half a day doing that at the airport... BUT.... it is a good option if it works in your favor. :)

Have fun! Barcelona is amazing.

Thanks:) We probably should wait till later too;) Did you feel safe in Barcelona?

Did you feel safe in Barcelona?

We did feel safe there, mostly because we were aware of our surroundings, did not place ourselves in precarious situations, were careful about not displaying our money, etc. and so on. You know - the usual precautions. ;)

My husband always says, "Walk with purpose.". Walk quickly, head up, aware of those around you, and you don't look like so much of a "victim", if you will. We chose not to use the underground Metro (personal choice, obviously) and stayed above ground using buses and cabs. We walked a lot. We had 4 days post-cruise there and loved it!

I think you will be glad you chose the red bus option...We checked them both out once we got to Barcelona..and noticed their was always long lines waiting to get back on the overly crowded blue bus and many had to wait until the next scheduled bus arrived..especially at popular HO locations...We were always able to HO back on the red bus and have a choice of seats (love the top deck seating) without a wait...I think one of the reasons for this is the blue bus is city owned and advertises HEAVILY so many tourists assume it's the best option...the red bus is privately owned so less advertising...Just a personal suggestion...even though they give you ear phones (earbud airplane type) I used my small travel headphones that fit in the universal jack and they were much more comfortable and the sound was far better...Enjoy !!

We did feel safe there, mostly because we were aware of our surroundings, did not place ourselves in precarious situations, were careful about not displaying our money, etc. and so on. You know - the usual precautions. ;)

My husband always says, "Walk with purpose.". Walk quickly, head up, aware of those around you, and you don't look like so much of a "victim", if you will. We chose not to use the underground Metro (personal choice, obviously) and stayed above ground using buses and cabs. We walked a lot. We had 4 days post-cruise there and loved it!

Thanks Karen. I am with you on the metro; I only plan to use if I REALLY have to, mostly because I am somewhat intimidated of getting lost.

Since my soon to be 22 yr old daughter is coming and her friend at 24; they want to go to a club:eek: So, really concerned about this.... it may be that either myself or spouse will have to tag along otherwise I think I will worry:p

Archived