Loss of power on Regatta

john07

I have friends currently on the Regatta. They reported a loss of power yesterday from 4 - 7 pm. The generators provided power to the ship but they lost propulsion. They were close to land so no one was really worried.

Free drinks were provided -

I am a bit concerned as I am on the next sailing.

Need to remember to pack a flashlight.

Cheers -

John in Denver

hmmm... close to land, no propulsion, possibility of running aground and free drinks. I don't think it would have been a good idea if I drank and then the ship ran aground, listed and I needed to swim for it because some life boats couldn't be launched. Just hypothetical. I would however, very much appreciate free drinks the next day when everything is fine and dandy! :D

Hopefully this was just a one time anomaly.

A ship is a small city. Think about the number of emergency events in a small city in a day, a week, or a month. Here they either lost the generators that make power for the propulsion system, or there was some sort of temporary fault in that connection. You have to realize that events occur. Everyone is trained, trained, and trained some more to deal with all sorts of emergencies -- many of which we prefer not to think about when we are cruising. The list of equipment that is temporarily not working (minor and major) is a constant list that is rarely totally empty.

A loss of propulsion casualty in a harbor or near the shore would obviously be more problematic.

When you look at the overall picture, and realize how few fires there are at sea on cruise ships (fire's being the biggest threat), you begin to realize the amount of care and caution exhibited by the crew.

...interesting, we've been on the Regatta and Insignia, Regatta in 2008 and at that point in time she was in tip top shape. We were on Insignia just this past November and did notice signs of definite wear and tear, she had problems early last year which caused her to reduce her cruising speeds, and now Regatta is having issues with her power. Another of the R ships, Azamara Quest was adrift for sometime a couple weeks ago and finally limped into port after an engine room fire...

...while on Insignia we were involved in a discussion with a number of other guests regarding the future of the Insignia, with the knowledge that she was soon to be heading to a different future under Hapag-Lloyd. Some said they'd never sail on anything bigger and didn't think O should ever get rid of their R ships, and we tend to prefer that size ourselves. Others, and some members here on the Oceania board, have mentioned that the R ship's days were numbered as they approached 15 years of service. It is evident that O has been placing most of their emphasis on the new Oceania class ships, so maybe things like these most current events are why we'll most likely have to face a future with O ships being a bit bigger than we've been accustomed to...time will tell...

...we're attending an 'Cruise Connections' Oceania show and reception this coming Monday, it will be interesting to see if they have anything to say regarding future plans...

cheers,

the Imagineer

Archived