What to do on a Sea Day?

janabm81

WE spend our lives doing so cruise to relax.

We love reading, quizzes, talks, a good film in the cinema (NOT under the stars) and other things we pick off the programme. Of course a leisurely lunch and afternoon tea are good relaxed social times.

It is difficult for us to relax on deck because most areas on the big modern ships are designed to catch the sun, and the shady places where we can avoid being sun-baked are mostly fully occupied all day. This includes the pools which are too noisy anyway. However, there is usually a quiet corner in a lounge to relax. :cool:

I normally am at the pool for most of the day, but I will also attend an activity if there's one I like. I always look in the daily activity guide to see what's happening. There are plenty of activities to do on sea days. I will also try other amenities the ship has, such as mini golf, shuffleboard, etc.

Well...Take this opportunity to eat lunch in the dining room....

We ate lunch in the MDR one day, and I really enjoyed it. We had been up early that day, had breakfast, and spent several hours up on deck, and I wound up just taking a quick shower again to wash off the sunscreen and changing quickly. It was a nice mid-day option.

Not if the wind is blowing in the same direction as the ship is moving.

They closed the top deck on the Carnival Elation (where putt putt is) on the first sea day because it was so windy. There were quite a few restrictions our first sea day because of that, but it was the first day, so we still had lots to explore.

Checking out the "night spots" was something we enjoyed doing during the daytime. There's no one in there unless the youth groups are hanging out doing an activity, so it's super quiet.

Being British it is tea and tiffin in the afternoon sun, or maybe not looking at the weather here at the moment lol ;)

I always class the sea day as a lazy explore the ship day, no rush just soak up the atmosphere and work out what is where and plan for later :)

Apeeler :cool:

We love sea days for the relaxation they offer. Of course, you can spend the time being super busy if that is what you enjoy. We are taking our 2nd TA this fall because we had such a great time last fall on our first one. Also have another booked for 2013. There are so many interesting people on board and this is the best time to be able to get to talk to them. I bring along my Kobo and find a quiet place to read and gaze out at the sea rushing by. Don't forget the opportunity to take a nap and to enjoy afternoon tea.

Ciao,

Nikki

Amazing suggestions, I can"t wait till we go on our first cruise in September.

I honestly thought you sat in a deck chair, read a book and played deck quoits :o

Which ship are you on? You can still sit- not in a deck chair, but on a lounger, read a book and play deck quoits.....but there's so much else to do.

I think you've been watching old cruising films, where they serve the beef tea....:rolleyes:

Jo. :D

Which ship are you on? You can still sit- not in a deck chair, but on a lounger, read a book and play deck quoits.....but there's so much else to do.

I think you've been watching old cruising films, where they serve the beef tea....:rolleyes:

Jo. :D

I think you've been watching old cruising films, where they serve the beef tea....

Jo.

I think you are right and I have to wake up and smell the coffee AND program :-)

I think you've been watching old cruising films, where they serve the beef tea....

Jo.

I think you are right and I have to wake up and smell the coffee AND program :-)

We are on the Thompson Celebration, Holly Land Tour, September 17th

We are on the Thompson Celebration, Holly Land Tour, September 17th

Then you won't have a minute to call your own! Celebration has the most amazing staff, especially the entertainment crew, who are around all day, mixing with the passengers, and playing games, holding classes, having Q&A sessions. They'll be in the Lido when you're having a cup of tea, as will the officers who also like to join with the passenger's chat.

I did drama classes, and OH had singing lessons; he was invited to go with the crew snorkelling one morning in Jordan....that's how friendly they are.

For all that we love the big ships, our cruise on Celebration ranks up there as something very special, with entertainment and activities better than most other lines- which is why people return so often. (and no tips, and pub price alcohol!) We'll be looking at Thomson again.

Have a brilliant time! :cool:

Jo.

We had nine sea days (10 if you count the last day in Ensenada -- most of the passengers were like us and stayed onboard) on our last cruise. We were never bored. We might start the day, after breakfast, with a walk around the ship (about three laps if possible) or a trip to the gym. After lunch, my hubby might bring his guitar to an area that he found near one lounge, and play for a few hours. I would bring a puzzle book or reading material...or take a hula or lei making class (the Hawaiian cruise on the Golden Princess). A mid-afternoon trip to the International Cafe for a treat to enjoy during afternoon trivia. After dinner, we'll look for some entertainment.

So, granted I am not a first time cruiser but I thought this would help them as well.

What does everyone do during Sea Days??? (Especially if you're not into gambling or being at the pool allllll day.)

Thanks!:)

If I was at the pool allll day, I'd be a toasted lobster for sure! They often have lots of trivia and others games which I like to go to, at least a line-dance lesson or two, if I'm on Princess, I'll spend a little more time on the Internet using my free minutes and eating of course!

We had quite a few sea days on our recent Australia/NZ cruise. We took a travel Scrabble game and a Scrabble card came with us so we played those. The Radiance has pool tables and an area with chess boards so we would do that. DH's one vice turned out to be the iced mochas at Lattetudes so you could usually find us there mid-afternoon relaxing and just watching the ocean. Afternoon naps are also nice.

Thank you all for some good suggestions!

Although I love to lay around with a drink by the pool, or read a good book, or nap, or take a mixology course, etc., as the next person, it sounds that these are activities are pretty like the activities that a person can do at home as well.

I am interested in doing things on a ship that I could not do at home. Are there any activities for sea days that you have found could not be done at home (or a resort)?

• 3 months later...

Our usual sea day goes like this:

1. Late wake up

2. Brunch

3. 'We've missed ......... because we slept in'

4. Trivia

5. Art Auction (to watch only and learn a little and watch others spend money)

6. Late lunch

7. Afternoon nap

8. Read a book

9. Afternoon Nap

10. Dress for dinner

11. Dinner

12. Show/Bar/Entertainer

13. Promenade Walk

14. Sleep

15. Repeat.

NB: 4,5,8 and 9 are totally interchangeable with what ever is going on at the time.

We love sea days really enjoy having 3,4 or 5 in a row to really get into the groove of relaxing.

Although I love to lay around with a drink by the pool, or read a good book, or nap, or take a mixology course, etc., as the next person, it sounds that these are activities are pretty like the activities that a person can do at home as well.

I am interested in doing things on a ship that I could not do at home. Are there any activities for sea days that you have found could not be done at home (or a resort)?

Maybe I could do those things at home but not with a fantastic view and people walting on me. Not thinking about cleaning house, cooking dinner or work is very relaxing.

I find lying around reading is one thing I can't do at home. The boss might cut my salary if I tried. ;)

So, granted I am not a first time cruiser but I thought this would help them as well.

What does everyone do during Sea Days??? (Especially if you're not into gambling or being at the pool allllll day.)

Thanks!:)

My sister and I get a cup of coffee, plate of pastries and find a quiet, shaded place to sit and read our Nooks.

Totally impressed that this thread is still alive and well! Yay!

The one thing I haven't heard anyone talk about is all the extra stuff on RCCL's big ships like rock wall or flow-rider. Are these things that adults just don't do?

Find the roll call for your cruise and see if anyone is hosting a "Meet and Greet" party. We hosted one on our last cruise in our PH Suite on the stern of the ship. No wind and plenty of room for the 35 new friends that came. Party lasted 2 hours and we then went to lunch. We served snacks and Mimosa's. This is also where you can compare notes on who is going on what excursion that you may have a second or third chance to see one another at. On a ship with 3200 passengers, that is not much chance to see one another again.

Archived