Splendida Trip Report - Long

mom3qts

Where did you book the godfather tour? We have been looking at them and found there wasn't enough time to do one. Was your time between the tour and getting back onto the ship ok or rushed? Thanks and great review. We go on the Splendida on the May 4th.

Hi

Great review. Just a quick question, what was the weather / sea like? I'm thinking of booking a similar msc cruise for the end of jan next year but a bit worried it might be a bit rough.

Thanks

The weather was pretty good. It was warm (low to mid 60s) each day, but not hot. We wore light jackets or sweatshirts and were comfortable. We were lucky to have no rain. The last night of the cruise (between Genoa and Barcelona), the seas were rough. The crusie line put out the little baggies everywhere for those who had problems. Some people did as several of the rest rooms were closed for cleaning. It was the only time that the movement of the ship kept me awake at night (because it was rocking so much). But, overall, the weather was good and the seas were calm.

Where did you book the godfather tour? We have been looking at them and found there wasn't enough time to do one. Was your time between the tour and getting back onto the ship ok or rushed? Thanks and great review. We go on the Splendida on the May 4th.

We booked with Mario Astone. He email is marioastone@tiscali.it. He took us on the Godfather Tour (but it might have been a modified version of the Godfather Tour per my request). I highly recommend Mario. We had an absolutely wonderful time with him. His brother was the guide for some friends of ours. Our friends also spoke highly of his brother. We had a lot time in Sicily, but we did get off the ship as early as we could. Mario took us to the town where the church from the Godfather wedding scene is located (Savoca). We walked along the same path as the wedding party (in the movie). We were there very early and it was very quiet and peaceful. It seemed like we were the only people in town. There is a bakery in town. Mario introduced to a lady who worked there. The fresh bread smelled amazing. After this town, we also toured Casteola (sp?) and Taormina. We especially enjoyed the Greek/Roman theater in Taormina and got some beautiful pictures from there. Mario also took us to a couple of places in Messina on our way back to the ship. He provided snacks and drinks for us as well. It was a wonderful day.

We booked with Mario Astone. He email is marioastone@tiscali.it. He took us on the Godfather Tour (but it might have been a modified version of the Godfather Tour per my request). I highly recommend Mario. We had an absolutely wonderful time with him. His brother was the guide for some friends of ours. Our friends also spoke highly of his brother. We had a lot time in Sicily, but we did get off the ship as early as we could. Mario took us to the town where the church from the Godfather wedding scene is located (Savoca). We walked along the same path as the wedding party (in the movie). We were there very early and it was very quiet and peaceful. It seemed like we were the only people in town. There is a bakery in town. Mario introduced to a lady who worked there. The fresh bread smelled amazing. After this town, we also toured Casteola (sp?) and Taormina. We especially enjoyed the Greek/Roman theater in Taormina and got some beautiful pictures from there. Mario also took us to a couple of places in Messina on our way back to the ship. He provided snacks and drinks for us as well. It was a wonderful day.

His website is sicilywithmario.com.

It is Castelmola if you,re interested in visiting. Sounds like a perfect tour mom3qts! Savoca is a very laid back town. They still use a mule to carry produce and they live on their local produce. I really wanted to go but never had the chance.

You will have a wonderful time with Mario or his brother! Tell him the Effinger's say hello. I have been meaning to post detailed reports for each day at port. Hopefully, that will happen this week.

Thanks, mom3qts, for your review. Did you arrange for private tours/guides in other ports? We are on this same itinerary on Splendida in June and would be interested in your recommendations.

Many thanks,

Would someone who only speaks English have problems on this ship? I speak Spanish, but my husband is English only. I don't want him to be uncomfortable because he can't communicate with the people around us. Any thoughts?

There could be as little of 5% of people speaking English and even fewer of them from the US. Interaction with other passengers will therefore be limited. Will this bother him? Has he been in a situation like this before?

Other factors to consider are that won't just be the language of other passengers that will be different or even very different but their behaviour, customs and what is considered polite. Tours in English may be cancelled at short notice or combined with another language, if the tour does not have enough English speakers booking.

Communication with crew is fine. He will just need to drop any loca.l colloquialisms and not talk too fast. The vast majority ofmthe passenger facing crew speak English but not all are completely fluent, so you need to be prepared to reword something ifmyou getna blank look.

The ship is beautiful and travelling with a line like MSC, will mean you don't just get the European experience on land but also onboard rather than just observing it form a comfort bubble of your own country.

Thanks, mom3qts, for your review. Did you arrange for private tours/guides in other ports? We are on this same itinerary on Splendida in June and would be interested in your recommendations.

Many thanks,

Loriva, which week in June are you sailing? I am about to book and we haven't decided on June 10th or 17th as the embarking day. \

Thank You AmoMondo. No, my husband hasn't really been in this kind of situation before except that we live in Texas and are surrounded by Spanish speakers and I am a High School Spanish teacher who loves her Mexicano students and we frequently have them and their families at our house. Spain is my dream and he's being the awesome man that he is by agreeing to go there for me. :) It sounds like he can handle it. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Loriva,

Sorry for the slow response. Yes, we did arrange tours at the other stops. In Malta, we hired Amy Pace. She was wonderful. She basically gave us a tour of the highlights of Malta that we customized after I did some research. It was a wonderful tour of an absolutlely beautiful island. In Rome, we used Rome in a Limo for the highlights of Rome tour. We also hired a Vatican guide as we were there on Good Friday. It was also a wonderful day. Our driver Franchesco and our Vatican guide Gorgina (sp?) were both fantastic. When I go back, I will use the same companies/people. In Genoa, we didn't plan anything and ended up regretting it. We toured around the town a little and then headed back tot the ship early. If I make it back to Genoa, I will find my way to Portofino. HOpe this helps. Let me know if you have any quesitons.

Thanks, mom3qts, for your response. We also used Rome in Limo for our last trip to Rome and loved them as well, including the Vatican tour. We are also thinking of Portofino from Genoa--it doesn't sound too difficult to navigate. I found Amy's website and will contact her.

carlaw70--We are booked on the sailing out of Civitavecchia departing 15 June. It also boards 16 June out of Genoa or 17 June out of Barcelona. There is a Roll Call under the latter two dates.

Take care,

Archived