What's the role of those motorboats spouting water around cruise ships?

Even before I even entertained the idea of going on a cruise, I've seen pictures and videos of ships docked in their home ports. And in almost every one of them, there aways motorboats circling around cruise ships, pouring water into the air. The size of the ship makes the motoboats look tiny in comparison, although the plumes of water go pretty high into the air, almost as high as the ship's Lido deck.

What's the role of those motorboats? Is it to power-wash the sides of the ship? Some other utilitarian role? Or are they just "for decoration", much like band members dancing in place at the periphery of the stage, while the main vocalist really busts a move in the center?

I'm sure someone knows the answer, so go ahead and enlighten me.

If you are talking of a single tall plume from the rear of the motorboat, I think you are referring to a jet boat, and the plume's purpose is to move the boat through the water.

If you are talking of a larger boat with 5-6 sprays going in different directions it is probably a fireboat, and they are traditionally used to welcome grand ships to the port for the first time. Then the purpose is much for decoration, like the fireworks after a homerun at the ballpark.

Are you seeing something like this - a fireboat?

DSC01285.jpg

Or something that looks like a snowmobile on the water with 1 or 2 riders? Those are jet-skis.

The fireboats sometimes come to welcome a ship - this was in Port Hedland, Australia. People on jet-skis just like to come out and ride around the ship.

No offense, but I can simply not believe some of you folks have no clue as to this. That's amazing, if not terribly troubling.

Some day you will arrive at an airport, and see fire trucks washing down your airplane when you pull towards the gate. Do you know what that is done for?

Likely not!

Oy! :eek:

Again, no offense, but this should be common knowledge stuff.

Correct. I was referring to those fireboats. (I just didn't know the proper term for them, until now.) It seems like they go wherever a cruise ship docks in port. Now I know their role; thanks for clarifying things.

This is rarely done, mostly for an inaugural arrival of a cruise ship to it's new home port, a "welcoming committee" in essence. It's called a "salute". It is not typically done every time a ship arrives in port. That you have seen several photos online means you are seeing photos of each ship's first arrival celebration, which is more noteworthy than all the other arrivals that follow after that special event.

Click the link below for a video of the HAL Eurodam's salute by a New York Fire Department fireboat in 2008, and the Eurodam's response back:

And Cunard's Queen Victoria arrival in Southampton in 2007:

And the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the seas into Ft. Lauderdale, it's home port, in 2009:

No offense, but I can simply not believe some of you folks have no clue as to this. That's amazing, if not terribly troubling.

Some day you will arrive at an airport, and see fire trucks washing down your airplane when you pull towards the gate. Do you know what that is done for?

Likely not!

What about when they're not putting out a fire or cooling off a ship's overheated engine?

Likely not!

Why even post? Just trying to be a jerk?

Always inevitable on CC that some know it all comes on with a condescending post.:rolleyes:

Archived