Keeping track of the family on the ship without cellphones?

Rhys&CallieMom

We tried Walkie Talkies and thought it would be a good idea on our first cruise. Lasted one day. Quickly turned into "meet back here in 2 hrs" or "If you need us, we will be *here*"....Guess it works pretty good since I still have them all and are going back! ;)

I do not recommend keeping track of anyone.

Designate a time and place that you will meet.

At noon, we will meet in front of the WJ, have lunch, discuss what is up next ..... discuss what everyone wants to do, going to trivia at 2, sitting at the pool, bingo etc.

Then determine at 3:00 we will meet at the main pool, etc.

I think that this is very sensible.

Having done a few multi generation and multi family my personal experience is that its really not that hard without modern electronics.

1) Ground rules for the kids. I was very clear that my daugther who was my youngest never to be alone, always with a family member or in the superivised kids club. My oldr boys were free to wander TOGATHER!

2) The ship is small there really is only a handful of places people hang out, unless trying to hide out :D

3) Have a discussion about when people seperate what their plans and gather point/time be. For my older two who are teens now, same rule as if they go to the shopping mall/movie. There is the basic trust/common sense ( hopefully they got some) than the fact they are in a enviroment with lots of random strangers but not necessarily inherently dangerous

We're going on our first cruise to Alaska with my husband's family -- all-in-all, 5 adults, 2 teens, a tween, and little girl who is not convinced she isn't just as old as the others. We don't always move in the same directions, especially the kids. What do you recommend for keeping track of each other (especially the teens, who are mine)? What about walkie-talkies?

Thanks!

Robyn

• 2 weeks later...

On our cruise we ran into one lady using walkie talkies. She was probably in her mid to late 60s (said she was retired). She said she and her son had been cruising since he was about 10 years old and had always used them. He is now a young adult and HE was always checking on HER via walkie talkie to see where she was !!! Sweet !!! :)

If money is no object (likely $200+), pick up a VHF marine hand held transceiver. ICOM is a good brand. Just watch what frequency you use, as you might find yourself talking to the captain!

ICOM_IC_M34_VHF_MARINE_TRANSCEIVER.jpg

You could probably also use a VHF aviation hand held transceiver (again, ICOM). Use either frequency 122.75 or 123.45. You won't be interfering with any air traffic on those frequencies, and chances are you wouldn't reach a plane anyhow whilst at sea.

Of course, these are the very expensive options!

We tried the walkie talkie option twice (thought an upgrade might fix the problems we had the first time, but they did not). However, we did find that they did come in handy while in port. That's the only place we use them now...

Archived