From a dedicated RCCL cruiser need help with Disney

The Disney Magic is coming to Texas soon, which is where I live. I have one child, a boy, who is 12 now. He wants to go on a Nick cruise, not a a Disney cruise. The Nick cruise will be in New Orleans summer of 2013.

I find the Disney cruises more expensive. I guess if I had a little girl into princess, etc, it would be worth it.

We will see when the Magic gets to Texas if we get on it.

I would really like to do Oasis/Allure, but I need to justify spening $5000.00 plus airfare, excursions, and any other expenses. That is a lot for working middle class, esp when more cash goes to higher groceries and gas:(

You will save alot by not having to fly in and get a hotel. I think you should consider Disney though. They do have Pirate night and firworks at sea. Even the adults dress up for Pirate night and the restaurants give out pirate bandanas to everyone, so everybody can have a bit of Pirate on them. The other thing he might enjoy is the entertainment onboard, like the Aladdin Musical and other great nightly shows. Also Disney owns a couple of movie production studios, so it's not just animated movies they show onboard they also have first run regular movies showing in their onboard movie theater. We saw the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie onboard their ship. :) The in cabin stateroom movies are pretty good too with a pretty wide variety to choose from including ESPN, the Disney Channel tv shows and of course ABC.

And the dining options. Animators Palate is pretty cool as it's not a normal sit down restaurant (who doesn't want to be entertianed at dinner) and it's not gender specific either. Plus, you get 3 different resturant venues to dine at which is included in your cruise rate for the main dinning instead of one main dining room choice like on most lines. No speciality restaurants to pay extra for (unless you want to go to an adult only resturant without your 12 year old). Everything on this ship is set up for kids, yet they offer adult only areas. My personal opionion, since it's coming your way... I'd say sail it before he's a teen cause' by then you'll need to either step up to the Dream and Fanatsy where they have a better teen only areas or to one of the other mega ships on another line.

You make an excellent point.

Thanks! I admit that my cruise experience is limited to RCI, but based on that I think I could offer a qualified opinion about them - at least one based on experience. Not sure where lack of experience = expert opinion - and one that read as "fact". Just wanted to make a point.

Disney also has repeat guest perks and at this point since they are offered by sailing and not on how many nights you have sailed I think it's easier to get to a higher level. As a repeat guest you get a specific colored lanyard which is real nice to have to keep your key card in and each level gets a different colored lanyard. It's not uncommon to see even adults running around the ship with their lanyard on where as on say Carnival it's mostly kids.

The higher your level the earlier you are allowed into the port terminal for arrival times, the higher your level the sooner your allowed to book the private island cabanas, excursions and the adult only restaurants, the higher your level the better onboard shopping discount you get and everyone gets a welcome back gift no matter what your status. Ours last year was a nice DCL duffle filled with two rice crispy treats, water bottles and I can't remember what else. Over the years I have collected quite a few DCL backpacks, DCL luggage straps, DCL document holders etc. They are always nice and apreciated gifts. :)

I heard RCCL no longers offers a welcome back gift. Very sad....

The best way to get onboard credit and a discounted deposit and cruise discount is to rebook onboard with Disney. I currently have one in my back pocket and yes the more you sail the better the onboard credit offer.

Have you cruised with RCI? I have not cruised Disney. But the RCI C & A program offers similar (and actually quite a long list) of perks based on repeat cruising to what you indicate. They offer priority check in based on level, etc., and don't restrict anyone with check in time. They also have gifts, etc. They used to have a cruise number-based program but a year or two ago converted it do a nights-at-sea based tally which seemed to convert fairly - at least in our case. The number of nights allows differentiation of short v long cruises as well as stateroom type accumulation. Just a different way to measure the repeat values. Not sure whether one is faster to a given level v. another - just defined differently. I think they are all good programs - just specific to each cruise line. Below is a link to the RCI levels if you are interested.

Member Benefits & Cruise Rewards: Crown & Anchor Society | Royal Caribbean International - Royal Caribbean International

I've been on 6 Disney cruises. (Wonder and Dream)

To sum up "my opinion" (and we all know what those are worth)

Note: We always vacation with our kids. Two girls aged 7 and 11.

1) RCCL has the food situation HANDS DOWN over Disney. My wife and I both agree that the dining experience is better. Not by TOO much but we like it better.

2) Disney has the BEST kids program on a ship. They dedicate A LOT of deck space for thier kids programs and activities. My girls have both said they enjoed the kids program on RCCL too but they love the character experiences on the DCL ships. (Meets, Shows, Dining at Animator's Palet)

3) Castaway Cay is AMAZING. Such a nice little island. We are looking forward to doing a 5 night double dip cruise one day just so we can go twice. That said, I can't comment on RCCL's island as we are going there for the first time in June on the Monarch but I have heard / read many good things about it.

4) RCCL beats DCL hands down on cost. We have on a few occasions priced an RCCL 9 night cruise for the same cost of a DCL 5 night. Disney is expensive but in some cases worth it. My kids are only going to believe in the "magic" and be young for so long so to me the price is worth paying but not all of the time.

5) If you were to compare reward programs, RCCL kills DCL! Disney needs to start expanding their rewards program but sadly most agree that they don't have to because the ships are full regardless.

This June my family is going on Monarch for 3 nights then doing Disney World for 6 days. A good does of both worlds that everyone in my family is happy with.

Hope this helps. :)

Not sure where lack of experience = expert opinion - and one that read as "fact". Just wanted to make a point.

And you make a very valid point! Its really no different than those here that say they hate Oasis class ships because they are too big and too crowded but yet have never stepped foot on one :p

So, I will say AGAIN what I said before. The Disney product is superior to RCI in areas that they compare. Does that mean it's the right choice for everyone? No! But, chances are, if someone is looking for the experiences found on a Disney cruise (particularly as it relates to families and children), then a side by side comparison will have DCL winning out.

Sorry, but given that you have neither children nor any relevant experience, you can shout it as often as you like, there just isn't any merit in the statement. Be sure to chime in again when you've actually experienced your "facts"

I know nothing about Disney Repeat club, all I know is RCCL is amazing. Between the priority boarding, the Diamond/Concierge clubs, the free and discounted services on board nothing beats it. Maybe Disney does, but I have no clue. I cannot criticize or commend anything Disney does because I have never been on board. That is the reason I am the OP of this board.

I know nothing about Disney Repeat club, all I know is RCCL is amazing. Between the priority boarding, the Diamond/Concierge clubs, the free and discounted services on board nothing beats it. Maybe Disney does, but I have no clue. I cannot criticize or commend anything Disney does because I have never been on board. That is the reason I am the OP of this board.

Disney's Castaway Club is actually quite good. The only downside is that you can be Platinum (their highest tier) with as few as 30 nights at sea, or (like us) not be Platinum with more than 60 days at sea. RCI's new model is much more equitable.

A few things C&A could learn from Disney:

1) 10% discount when booking onboard

2) OBC increases as your tier increases

3) Lanyards/room key holders to returning guests

4) 50% reduced deposit regardless of cabin class

A few things Disney could learn from RCI:

1) Flat booking fee (Disney charges a fixed % of the cruise cost, which results in no two bookings having the same deposit (not even two bookings on the same ship/itinerary/date)

2) NCC's. The only way to take advantage of the onboard booking perks on Disney is to actually be on board when you do the booking. NCC's make "onboard" anywhere you happen to be sitting when you decide to book.

3) Coupon books. A nice (albeit sometimes cheesey) touch

4 Tier based events onboard (Disney doesn't do anything for returning guests until they have at least five previous sailings)

I am a Diamond cruiser with RCCL, just got off my best cruise (in 30 cruises) on the Allure. We rebooked Allure for next spring break, but my wife wants to try Disney Fantasy. We ended up finding a deal on two cabins on Disney which is very close to our RCCL price for 2 cabins. I have posted some posts on Disney CC, about RCCL and Disney, and the Disney posters just slammed RCCL, like it was a disease. I am a dedicated RCCl, Hal 3 star and Princess Platinum, and Celebrity Elite. No Disney status. Anyone have any unbiased feelings or comparisons of Disney vs. RCCl?

Thank you.

Been on two Disney cruises, will be on RCL next year to Alaska and so I have done tons of research. I am a big fan of DCL and the product they offer. Every time we return from a cruise vacation, the kids can talk nothing but when we are going again in the mickey boat. Disney stamps its authority right there. Our kids are 6 and 3, maybe 3-4 years down the line, they might not look at Disney that way.

From an adults perspective, I find the service extra-ordinary, the ship is clean, it is majestic, the decor and the finishing touches. There are things that you would find only in a Disney ship.

1. The way they announce your family into the ship.

2. The unique Dinner rotation.

3. Extra large cabins that support family types.

4. Fireworks out in the sea.

5. Disney very own stage shows.

6. Castaway cay. A little piece of heaven on earth.

Needless to say, I love Disney. All this though comes with a cost, they are a niche product and they cost more. The food though, I would have to say is not that great, unless you get to the specialty restaurants. They are good..but not exceptional.

Then again, their itin. to Alaska leaves much to be desired. For one they do not operate cruise tours, no one way trips, they do not have permission into either of the two glaciers(Hubbard and GB). All this meant we had to look elsewhere and we figured RCL is the closest to Disney and so we are doing RCL.

I've been on 6 Disney cruises. (Wonder and Dream)

To sum up "my opinion" (and we all know what those are worth)

Note: We always vacation with our kids. Two girls aged 7 and 11.

1) RCCL has the food situation HANDS DOWN over Disney. My wife and I both agree that the dining experience is better. Not by TOO much but we like it better.

2) Disney has the BEST kids program on a ship. They dedicate A LOT of deck space for thier kids programs and activities. My girls have both said they enjoed the kids program on RCCL too but they love the character experiences on the DCL ships. (Meets, Shows, Dining at Animator's Palet)

3) Castaway Cay is AMAZING. Such a nice little island. We are looking forward to doing a 5 night double dip cruise one day just so we can go twice. That said, I can't comment on RCCL's island as we are going there for the first time in June on the Monarch but I have heard / read many good things about it.

4) RCCL beats DCL hands down on cost. We have on a few occasions priced an RCCL 9 night cruise for the same cost of a DCL 5 night. Disney is expensive but in some cases worth it. My kids are only going to believe in the "magic" and be young for so long so to me the price is worth paying but not all of the time.

5) If you were to compare reward programs, RCCL kills DCL! Disney needs to start expanding their rewards program but sadly most agree that they don't have to because the ships are full regardless.

This June my family is going on Monarch for 3 nights then doing Disney World for 6 days. A good does of both worlds that everyone in my family is happy with.

Hope this helps. :)

Have to disagree on the COST factor, in order to compare apples with apples I compared costs of Disney with the RCL ships that have the Dreamworks experience and I would have to say, the prices are comparable.

Have to disagree on the COST factor, in order to compare apples with apples I compared costs of Disney with the RCL ships that have the Dreamworks experience and I would have to say, the prices are comparable.

Given the limited number of itineraries and ships that Disney has, the best way to compare (IMHO) is same week, same length, same itinerary.

For example, we're on FOS May 6 (Eastern Caribbean). Disney Fantasy is on their Eastern Caribbean the same week (leaves a day earlier 5/5); both ships will be in St. Thomas on the same day E2 balcony cabin on FOS $2502; lowest balcony Cat 7A cabin on Fantasy $3483

Only during off season. In spring and summer, the same cabin type for Disney Fantasy will be more expensive than that on Oasis/Allure/Freedom OTS.

edit: of course people will say Disney cabins in general (for typical inside, OV and verandah) are larger than RCI, they have split bath, etc., which is true. But 2 cruises with same # of nights, similar destination/itinerary and similar scope/variety of activities and entertainment is about as apple-to-apple you can compare.

Disney's Castaway Club is actually quite good. The only downside is that you can be Platinum (their highest tier) with as few as 30 nights at sea, or (like us) not be Platinum with more than 60 days at sea. RCI's new model is much more equitable.

A few things C&A could learn from Disney:

1) 10% discount when booking onboard

2) OBC increases as your tier increases

3) Lanyards/room key holders to returning guests

4) 50% reduced deposit regardless of cabin class

A few things Disney could learn from RCI:

1) Flat booking fee (Disney charges a fixed % of the cruise cost, which results in no two bookings having the same deposit (not even two bookings on the same ship/itinerary/date)

2) NCC's. The only way to take advantage of the onboard booking perks on Disney is to actually be on board when you do the booking. NCC's make "onboard" anywhere you happen to be sitting when you decide to book.

3) Coupon books. A nice (albeit sometimes cheesey) touch

4 Tier based events onboard (Disney doesn't do anything for returning guests until they have at least five previous sailings)

RCI C & A:

Scaled balcony discounts for certain level C & A.

Scaled OBC offers not limited to on-board bookings.

Frequently issued email discount coupons over mulitple itineraries.

On-board cruise based coupons.

C & A onboard events.

50% deposit discounts not limited to on-board bookings.

C & A gifts

Go to the C & A website to see the full range of tier based programs.

RCI C & A:

Scaled balcony discounts for certain level C & A.

Scaled OBC offers not limited to on-board bookings.

Frequently issued email discount coupons over mulitple itineraries.

On-board cruise based coupons.

C & A onboard events.

50% deposit discounts not limited to on-board bookings.

C & A gifts

Go to the C & A website to see the full range of tier based programs.

All true, just didn't want to completely embarass the Disney folk by listing everything. The one I'd really like to see C&A think about is OBC. On a given length cruise, the OBC is identical regardless of tier (My OBC for booking a 7-night on FOS was $100 when I was Gold, and it's still $100 now that I'm Diamond. On Disney, the OBC increases based on your status. On a 7-night, it starts at $200, and goes to $375 if you're Platinum

On RCI you get tier based discounts if you book a balcony; on Disney you get a 10% discount for any cabin you book while on board. So an inside cabin on Disney for a second time cruiser can actually get a higher discount for booking on board, than a Diamond member gets for booking a balcony (~$350 vs $225). The edge to RCI on this is that I don't have to book onboard to get the discount

I think it would be worth it to try Disney once while your kids are little.

We just sailed on the Disney Magic with our two kids (14 and 5).

We have sailed RCL before but not with our kids. We did sail last year for Spring Break with them on Carnival.

My youngest hated the kids clubs on Carnival and I thought Disney would be different (it is Disney after all), but she hated them on Disney too.. that is actually okay with me as I go on vacation with my family to spend time with my family.

She loved seeing the characters, but that is the only reason she would want to go on Disney again.

Her favorite part of the cruise was the slide, so any cruise ship with a slide would be great with her.

She loved the shows on both Disney and Carnival.

My oldest said no more Disney, it is too much for little kids.

Disney's cabins are nice with the split bathroom and not having to pay for sodas is nice.

We did enjoy the Disney cruise, but it most likely will be our last as they are very expensive.

There is nothing bad to be said about Disney and like I said before you should try it once, especially if your kids like the characters as there is plenty of interaction.

Have you cruised with RCI? I have not cruised Disney. But the RCI C & A program offers similar (and actually quite a long list) of perks based on repeat cruising to what you indicate. They offer priority check in based on level, etc., and don't restrict anyone with check in time. They also have gifts, etc. They used to have a cruise number-based program but a year or two ago converted it do a nights-at-sea based tally which seemed to convert fairly - at least in our case. The number of nights allows differentiation of short v long cruises as well as stateroom type accumulation. Just a different way to measure the repeat values. Not sure whether one is faster to a given level v. another - just defined differently. I think they are all good programs - just specific to each cruise line. Below is a link to the RCI levels if you are interested.

Member Benefits & Cruise Rewards: Crown & Anchor Society | Royal Caribbean International - Royal Caribbean International

Yup, I have sailed with RCI many times and I am currently a Platinum member, one more cruise after next month for Emerald status. I personally don't like the how many nights you sailed part vs the number of times you've cruised, but whatever. All the cruiselines offer some sort of repeat cruiser benefit. Thanks for the link.... I just wanted to make sure the other poster knew that their were benefits for sailing with DCL. :)

Yup, I have sailed with RCI many times and I am currently a Platinum member, one more cruise after next month for Emerald status. I personally don't like the how many nights you sailed part vs the number of times you've cruised, but whatever. All the cruiselines offer some sort of repeat cruiser benefit. Thanks for the link.... I just wanted to make sure the other poster knew that their were benefits for sailing with DCL. :)

I agree - it's all a subjective call anyway but knowing what the programs offer may help decide. My opinion is anything that gets me out to sea and away from the day to day has to be good!

Archived