Suggestions for a day in Bar Harbor

xyankee

I'm just wondering because I have a whale watching tour booked for 12:30 if I would have time to do the Oli's trolley tour - I would like to - is the short one worthwhile - I know it does not go to Cadillac Mountain.

Too many things to do in just one day.

Thanks for your help!

I'm just wondering because I have a whale watching tour booked for 12:30 if I would have time to do the Oli's trolley tour - I would like to - is the short one worthwhile - I know it does not go to Cadillac Mountain.

Too many things to do in just one day.

Thanks for your help!

I thought that both tour companies offered the Short Tour, but after reading their sites, only Oli's offers one.

If you read the Short Tours description: ...We include a 15 minute stop at the summit of Cadillac Mountain, the highest point on the east coast... , it does do Cadillac Mountain. As long as the tour includes the summit of Cadillac Mountain, I would say the tour is worthwhile.

As the whale watch boat departs, make sure you are on the starboard side so you can get a good view of Acadia National Park.

SBtS

I thought that both tour companies offered the Short Tour, but after reading their sites, only Oli's offers one.

If you read the Short Tours description: ...We include a 15 minute stop at the summit of Cadillac Mountain, the highest point on the east coast... , it does do Cadillac Mountain. As long as the tour includes the summit of Cadillac Mountain, I would say the tour is worthwhile.

As the whale watch boat departs, make sure you are on the starboard side so you can get a good view of Acadia National Park.

SBtS

Thanks for the advice! I did book the short tour! Looking forward to seeing the park and hopefully a whale or two.

Thanks for the advice! I did book the short tour! Looking forward to seeing the park and hopefully a whale or two.

I just what you to understand that the Short Tour does not include the Park Loop Road which does a loop of ANP . You'll be 'seeing the park' as the trolley goes to the summit of Cadillac Mountain and you'll have 15 minutes to see all you can see from there.

SBtS

I just what you to understand that the Short Tour does not include the Park Loop Road which does a loop of ANP . You'll be 'seeing the park' as the trolley goes to the summit of Cadillac Mountain and you'll have 15 minutes to see all you can see from there.

SBtS

I think it will give me an idea of the park and maybe I can come back again! Thanks for your help.

We will be arriving in Bar Harbor on the Caribbean Princes in early October. Any suggestions on what to do for the day in port?

We are also on the Caribben Princess first week of Oct. We have reserved Olli's Trolley for Acadia Nat. Park and Cadillac Mountain in Bar Harbor. It's highly recommended.

What is the name of the Boat and Mature Tour Company as well cost ,

the boat which leaves the pier where we tender to?

They are dog / animal friendly as is most of Bar Harbor too.

Here is a nature cruise offered by the Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co. that departs from the town dock - http://www.barharborwhales.com/nature-cruise.php

The boat may be Bay King III - http://www.barharborwhales.com/boats-crews.php

SBtS

Dear SailBadtheSinner,

Thank you again.:D

Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company, Inc looks very nice too.

::::::::::::::::::::::

Bay King III is a high speed twin-hull luxury catamaran built in 2001. She offers viewing decks with 360 degree railing allowing everyone aboard the opportunity to have a front row view of the action. Inside our heated cabins, you can enjoy a full galley and bar, as you relax in the comfort of bench seats and booths. Every tour is hosted by a naturalist who provides an entertaining and educational narrative about your sightings and life in the Gulf of Maine.

The Bay King III is used for lighthouse tours, bay cruises, and tendering cruise ship(s).

:::::::::::::::

I had just called the other firm which had the vessel, SEA DAWG, also had been at the Town Dock before now they have a pier at a hotel .

But having to take, now a Taxi is almost as costly as the tour itself..

They said" maybe next year we may provide a shuttle "... you know the stories.. check is in the mail...etc..etc..etc..

Proof is in the Pudding, eh.

;)

Here is a nature cruise offered by the Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co. that departs from the town dock - http://www.barharborwhales.com/nature-cruise.php

The boat may be Bay King III - http://www.barharborwhales.com/boats-crews.php

SBtS

So if we decide to use one of the trolley type rides...it takes us to the park, correct. I need to read more on it. Do I need to make a reservation ahead of time, or is it something you can just find a booth and sign up for....Another question, I don't bring a lot of cash, on trips. I rather use my card. Do these places take credit cards or do you have to pay in cash?

Website for Oli's Trolley:

http://www.olistrolley.com/attractions.html

We will be taking the Explorer in Aug. 2013 to New England & Canada. Looking forward to seeing all the sites as well. Have fun.

Sorry if i repeat a lot of stuff, I just kind of glanced through the thread :rolleyes:

I lived in Ellsworth (about 35-40 minutes from Bar Harbor) for 12 years, and I will never tire of visiting Bar Harbor! There's so much to do and see there! First, there's the quaint little plaza area where all of the free buses meet. There are also multiple restaurants and cafes you can check out, along with many, many souvenir shops. I'll need to find the name of the shop, but this one place in the plaza sells the best ice cream and fudge, hands down! There's also Oli's Trolley, whale watching, the waterfront, or you can take one of the free buses to Acadia National Park and go check out Thunderhole and many other attractions. It is ESPECIALLY beautiful there during the fall :)

I'll try and rack my brain and think of more things to do in Bar Harbor!

Archived