A question for experienced Western Caribbean divers;

drog

We are doing the Western Caribbean itinerary in Jan 2013 with a large family group. My son and I are the only certified divers and we want to enjoy time with the family but we are going to do at least one dive. We are doing the Stingray encounter in Grand Cayman so that will not be an option but I'm looking for what would be best can’t miss diving so if you can only choose one place to dive would it be Cozumel, Roatan or Belize?

Hi drog,

The only one we have not dived is Roatan, and since Cayman is out, I would do Cozumel. Belize is nice, but would not do it again from a Cruise ship (not enough time to get to the really good spots).

That leaves Cozumel, a great place to dive. DW and I will be there again in September and have already booked with Aldora Divers. Great outfit, in not a little bit pricey (still less than Belize), but they will take you to the Eastern side of the Island if you have the time!

Happy Diving,

Ken:)

I would definitely say Belize!

Years ago DH was the only experienced diver in our group of four...we walked off the ship...some tour company (and I'm truly sorry I don't remember the name..it was about 7 years and 10 cruises ago) approached us..the guide took us to the airport..flew us (MayanAir) out to a local island offshore...DH did a 2 tank dive off one boat while the other three of us snorkelled off another boat...did take us ALL day and we sweated getting back to the ship a little...but it was SO worth it!

Positively the best snorkelling ever (for me) and DH said one of the best dives he's ever had. He has dove all over the Caribbean and in the Atlantic..the reef off Belize is supposedly the second largest in the world next to Great Barrier.

To this day we still talk about that as the best cruise day EVER! Nothing like island hopping in a 12 passenger plane to get this girl excited!

Check out the port of call boards and do your research.

BTW..I think the whole thing...was about $120pp (+tips of course)

The independent tour companies wouldn't stay in business if they didn't get you back to the ship on time!

Have fun!

We're going back to Belize for the 4th time in December..can't wait!

If anyone is interested in diving with dolpins you can scuba with dolphins at Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan.

Cozumel is a very popular dive location, but I've heard that the reef diving in Roatan is some of the best in the world.

I would dive Roatan (done 2x with Anthony Key) or Belize. Cozumel was good but the other two are better. We were suppose to dive in Cayman, but last time their it was too rough and was cancelled.

I went on a dive trip to Cozumel in January. We were with Paradise Divers and everything was great. Keep in mind if you go with Cozumel it is almost all drift diving, which does take away from the experience of taking your time. If you like drift diving go with Cozumel, if not go with one of the others....

Just checked with husband for his opinion (he is the family diver) on your choices-and that is what you are getting-his opinion. He has dived all three-the latest being when we were on the Legend in March. He prefers Roatan or Belize. His advice on Belize is think about booking with Carnival because Belize is a tender port and the Carnival dive trip picks you up at the boat and takes you to Turneffe, an off shore island, that is an hour boat ride in itself from where the boat is anchored. If you book independently, you have to tender in to port just to have to ride back out past the boat. In March, his dive was great seeing Eagle Rays and a whale shark with the added bonus of beautiful coral. In Roatan, he's gone with Anthony's Key two times which he says in an excellently run operation. He thinks you can't go wrong with either one!

A close call between Belize and Roatan. Both are great dives. Cozumel comes in third in my opinion. Drift diving is not for everyone and if you're fairly new to diving adds a bit more complexity because the currents can vary in intensity. Also, because of the recent accident in Cozumel for the time being, Carnival has cancelled its 2 tank dive excursion.

Also, because of the recent accident in Cozumel for the time being, Carnival has cancelled its 2 tank dive excursion.

I am curious about this. When and what happened? I am asking because my son-in-law was booked on the Carnival 2-tank dive on our Conquest cruise last month. It was cancelled and Carnival said it was because there were not enough divers signed up.

He ended up diving with another dive shop in Coz and it worked out for the best, but I'm wondering what the real reason was for the excursion getting cancelled.

I am curious about this. When and what happened? I am asking because my son-in-law was booked on the Carnival 2-tank dive on our Conquest cruise last month. It was cancelled and Carnival said it was because there were not enough divers signed up.

He ended up diving with another dive shop in Coz and it worked out for the best, but I'm wondering what the real reason was for the excursion getting cancelled.

Here is the story on the woman in Cozumel. Her body is still missing :(

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/acworth-woman-disappears-scuba-diving-mexico/nMLXH/

and here are two more that died a few days apart in Grand Turk :(

http://www.fptci.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3468:police-briefs-two-tourists-die-while-snorkeling&catid=27:community&Itemid=71

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1611702

Archived