Bacardi Rum Factory..... Anyone taken the tour??

herb

We have done it twice...once through the cruise line which was much more expensive and once on our own using the public ferry...very cheap. Enjoyed it both times, but it was more extenive tour when we first went...not because it was a cruiseline excursion, but now they do not let you go to some of the areas. Definately worth the time and money.

I say go for it. It's pretty interesting the first time around. However, I don't advise buying any liquor at their gift store. You can definitely find it cheaper at the pier or a local grocery store before you sail.

I have read on other threads that there is actually no admission fee for the tour. Can anyone tell me if that is right or not? Also I have read that you can take the water taxi over? Anyone know where you go about finding the water taxi to take over there and what the cost may be?

There is no fee and you get two tickets for free drinks. We used the ferry to go across the harbor and it was very easy. It goes about every half hour and costs around $1.00 each way. It is over in pier #2 that is walking distance from the old san juan pier.

The only advice I can give is to not expect a tour of the actual factory - it is a tram ride to over to their welcome center/museum for a history lesson and marketing of their products, and a tram ride back to the gift shop and bar area. However, I'm very glad I did the tour, and would recommend others do the same - just know what to expect.

I've done the tour of the Cruzan Rum plant in St Croix - a $5 tour that was actually a factory tour thru the distillery, barrel warehouse and bottling line. Afterwards, the Cruzan bar was pretty much wide open to any request, while Bacardi's options were more limited. Also, don't worry about only getting two drink tickets at Bacardi - you are not turned away after those are gone...

Does anyone have the website for the factory or know how I can find the hours?

This might help

http://www.gotopuertorico.com/go_cultureHistory.php?language=english&page=48

or click on the casabacardi link on this site

http://www.bacardi.com/flash_site/flash_site.aspx?new_locale_id=1&new_promo_site=us

Mon- Sat 8:30am-5:30pm

Last tour 4:15

Sunday 10am-5pm

Last tour 3:45

Thank you so much. So I see they are not open on Sundays. I will need to take the ships tour on Sunday if I want to go. Oh well, thought I could save that money. ;)

I edited and provided a link to the bacardi site. Within the last year or so they added Sunday tours.

I know it's an inexpensive tour, but was wondering whether or not it was a waste of time or interesting. (We have taken the Malibu tour in Barbados).

I was thinking of doing the Malibu tour or the Mount Gay Rum tour when in Barbados Is good??

If not I may just stick to the Bacardi tour in San Juan.

Let me know what you think?? Thanks Randy :)

• 2 weeks later...

san juan and the bacardi tour was without a doubt the worst part of my legend cruise experience (5/13-5/12). it was an hour bus ride in bumper to bumper traffic to the factory after a brief stop at el morro. the "factory" was soooooo boring that my friend faked a stomach ache just so we could take a cab back to the boat, it was like being on a school trip. it probably didn't help that it was sooooo humid and rainy. it also probably didn't help that there were huuuge crickets inside the bus that were jumping all over. it was so bad that we cancelled our "best of st thomas tour" for the next day because of how bad the san juan tour was. my adivce would be to STAY ON THE SHIP WHEN IT DOCKS IN PUERTO RICO~MAYBE VENTURE OUT AT NIGHT FOR SOME SENOR FROGS FUN!! WE WISH WE WOULD HAVE !!

you can take a ferry--5 minutes across the bay and then a cab, another 10 minutes at most. this is a cheap excusion if you have a limited time in san juan or nothing else is open. its fun--I've done downtown and its nothing special. next trip I will probably stay on the ship or go to parrot club.

Wife and I did the Destiny cruise earlier in the month. I rented a car in OSJ--drove to Barcardi on the way to our hotel. It didn't cost us a penny for the tour--and we were there on a Sunday afternoon.

A couple of items of note:

It took us about 10 minutes to drive on a Sunday--it COULD have been marked better, but a decent map and the roadsigns make it pretty hard to miss.

A BUNCH of folks that we were with had come across the ferry; rented a cab, etc. Seems to be pretty popular way to make the trip.

Prices at the factory can be beaten--soundly--in EITHER the duty-free shops before you board the ship or even in the SJ airport on the way out of town. Oh, IF you decide to buy something, make SURE you get into line quickly. When the tram unloads 35 people at one time (as ours did), within a couple of minutes, the line backed up halfway through the gift shop!

The 'two-drink' tickets are just a guide. My wife sampled most of the flavors and they continued to pour quite freely (I was driving!)

HAVE YOUR EXPECTATIONS SET ACCURATELY! We live in TN; I've been on a number of distillery tours (Including Jack Daniels in Lynchburg) that are actual 'factory-floor' tours. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE! You enter into various reproductions of the factory, ofices in Cuba, watch films, see live demonstrations, etc. BUT--you are NOT actually touring where the rum is made.....

Still a great tour...

san juan and the bacardi tour was without a doubt the worst part of my legend cruise experience (5/13-5/12). it was an hour bus ride in bumper to bumper traffic to the factory after a brief stop at el morro. the "factory" was soooooo boring that my friend faked a stomach ache just so we could take a cab back to the boat, it was like being on a school trip. it probably didn't help that it was sooooo humid and rainy. it also probably didn't help that there were huuuge crickets inside the bus that were jumping all over. it was so bad that we cancelled our "best of st thomas tour" for the next day because of how bad the san juan tour was. my adivce would be to STAY ON THE SHIP WHEN IT DOCKS IN PUERTO RICO~MAYBE VENTURE OUT AT NIGHT FOR SOME SENOR FROGS FUN!! WE WISH WE WOULD HAVE !!

You definetly got the worst of it all. Thats why this board is here to give advice... you should have taken the Ferry not the bus.

As far as the tour being boring... well that depends on what your expectations were. A tour of a historic facility like this is going to be mostly informational. Its not going to be "party" like Señor Froggs.

Only good thing is the free drinks... which you wont get at SF...

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we will do the Ferry from old San Juan... and then after the tour come back and check the Fort or at least have lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe...

Thanks for all the tips, only have days to go..... :D :D

Archived