Tour of Parliament

Has anyone done a tour of Parliament in London? Was it good?

We were in London in 1981 and just walked up to Parliament and were allowed to sit in the gallery while Parliament was in session. It was great, since Maggie was speaking, defending her budget.

We were in London in 1981 and just walked up to Parliament and were allowed to sit in the gallery while Parliament was in session. It was great, since Maggie was speaking, defending her budget.

How does one find out when they are in session?

I have done the guided tour of the Parliament buildings twice - and enjoyed both tours. In both cases, I was there when Parliament was not sitting, and I pre -ordered my entrance tickets before leaving home. You are guided [in small groups] through the buildings by a blue badge guide - the place is fascinating. I was surprised to see how small the House of Commons is -- and the murals in the Queen's Robing Room are beautiful. I now watch news reports from the UK Parliament with a whole different perspective!

You do see Westminster Hall during the guided tour -- in fact, the last time I did this tour in 2010, that's where we met our guide. [in 2004, we ended our tour in Westminster Hall.] While it is interesting to see Parliament in session, you don't get to see nearly as much of the buildings due to security, and seating in the gallery is limited.

You do see Westminster Hall during the guided tour -- in fact, the last time I did this tour in 2010, that's where we met our guide. [in 2004, we ended our tour in Westminster Hall.] While it is interesting to see Parliament in session, you don't get to see nearly as much of the buildings due to security, and seating in the gallery is limited.

We were not on a guided tour. We were not allowed to enter the Hall, but could see it from the entrance. Amazing that it still had a dirt floor.

Archived