Seeking recommendations for Vancouver pre-cruise hotel.

Calbill

Is the Days Inn close to the cruise port terminal?

There are a number of Days Inns in metro Vancouver.

The "Days Inn Downtown Vancouver" is close to the cruise terminal, in the heart of downtown

The "Days Inn Vancouver Metro" is about 4 miles away from downtown (about 800 metres from the Nanaimo Skytrain station)

The "Days Inn Vancouver Airport" is near the Vancouver Airport (but nice and close to the Bridgeport Skytrain station to get to downtown)

Another place that hasn't gotten any mention recently but has had a complete makover is the Burrard Inn - its located next door to the Sheraton Wall center and now has a more boutique feel - as I live near it and pass by it most days I was curious about it pricing and it is actually quite good.

Here's a link:

http://www.theburrard.com/

I have noticed a steady increase in people in the lobby so it must be starting to build a client base.

The Blenz coffee shop on the main floor is being upgraded to offer some food service.

Just a thought that some of the locals might to interested in.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the input, we are at this location because we have purchased the Princess transfer from the airport to the pier. Someone has told us we will have a short distance to get to the Sky Train to get to downtown. Is this correct?

Do you not just love the TV in the bathroom mirror!

Oh yea! Plus, I also loved all the buttons in the room!

I had stayed at Hotel Nikko in SFO several years ago. Half the rooms had been upgraded and this was one of the upgrades. Unfortuantely my room didn't have it when I stayed there.

Yes the Pan Pacific got a huge face lift leading up to the 2010 Winter Olympics. Fairmont's Pacific Rim seems to be off the radar for cruisers, I think a big part of their clientèle comes from delegates attending the new trade and convention facility. But while on the topic of upscale digs there is the new/old Rosewood Hotel Georgia hotel and the Shangri-la but both are 6 blocks from Canada Place. The Fairmont's Waterfront Hotel across the street from Canada Place will also transfer your luggage to to pier like the Pan Pacific does.

http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/hotelgeorgia/

http://www.shangri-la.com/vancouver/shangrila

Glad it got upgraded (Pan Pacific). I had always wanted to stay there before a cruise and when I did, I was underwhelmed. Glad I got it on Hotwire. I had spent my previous nights at Pan Pacific in Whistler and was incredibly impressed with that hotel.

You are probably right that the Fairmont Pacific Rim is not on the radar for cruisers. I had a free night at a Fairmont and choose that hotel based on an earlier post of yours. I was impressed and it was still close to everything. Nice hotel with fabulous staff!

Thanks for the input, we are at this location because we have purchased the Princess transfer from the airport to the pier. Someone has told us we will have a short distance to get to the Sky Train to get to downtown. Is this correct?

It's a longish walk to Skytrain, and generally the cruise transfers are NOT worth it. Are you tied to this hotel, or can you cancel the cruise booking, and just do it yourself?

map: https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=la+quinta+richmond+bc&ll=49.173497,-123.124337&spn=0.011742,0.033023&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=la+quinta&hnear=0x54867599f4ef4d3d:0x6a5024adba02fab5,Richmond,+BC&cid=0,0,2168721605763576046&t=h&z=16 the skytrain station is on #3 Road, the other side of the big [Lansdowne] Mall

My wife and I and granddaughter (10) will get into Vancouver BC about noon the day before getting on the Island Princess for 7 day cruise up to Whittier. There are a large number of hotels in Vancouver, and I am unfamiliar with the location as relates to the cruise docks.

Would like a nice hotel for us, with access to nice restaurant, preferably close to the docks, not too much hassle to get to the ship in the morning.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks.

The Delta Vancouver Suites is two blocks south of Waterfront Station, so the trip is all downhill to get to the boat. The reason I recommend it is the suites aspect. You get a separate bedroom and a pull out sofa in the living room area. Most people forget about it because it has a very low-key facade but it's a great downtown hotel.

Viv

Glad it got upgraded (Pan Pacific). I had always wanted to stay there before a cruise and when I did, I was underwhelmed. Glad I got it on Hotwire. I had spent my previous nights at Pan Pacific in Whistler and was incredibly impressed with that hotel.

There were some great deals on Hotwire and as I recall, Priceline as well, for about 18 months leading up to the Olympics. What wasn't clear for the longest time was that these were rooms that hadn't been remodeled or were on floors where remodeling was happing. However, most folks were happy to overlook the short comings for the location and the great deals they were getting.:)

The Delta Vancouver Suites is two blocks south of Waterfront Station, so the trip is all downhill to get to the boat. The reason I recommend it is the suites aspect. You get a separate bedroom and a pull out sofa in the living room area. Most people forget about it because it has a very low-key facade but it's a great downtown hotel.

Viv

I agree with Viv, when I was working many of my out of town business colleagues used to stay there and I have seen a number of the suites...it is a good hotel. Although, while not important, I think the reason it get overlooked is because it is a tad east of "hotel central" in downtown Vancouver. But its location is nonetheless good, it's a quiet area to stay in and it's an easy walk into historic Gastown and many other of the sights of downtown.

Scottbee: Thanks for your input, we will certainly consider what you have stated. The map is very helpful and it appears the SkyTrain is on the other side of the Mall. We do enjoy walking, so we will study the distances. Any other observations will be appreciated.

Is there a hotel in Vancouver that allows you to park your car there for free while on a cruise?

Well there are no hotels that offer free parking in downtown Vancouver but there are a few that offer cruise packages that include parking, they include:

Best Western - Downtown on Drake

Hampton Inn & Suites on Robson St.

Executive Regent Park Inn on Howe St.

Georgian Court on Beatty St. (the have a shuttle but not sure about parking)

Coast Plaza on Denman & Comox St. (not really in downtown but close)

Archived