Do You Lock Your Luggage

CRUISE4JANE

For those of you who use zip ties, how do you cut the tie when you get to your destination? I would be just my luck to think Im Ms. Smarty Pants and zip tie my suitcase closed, only to have no way to get it back open! :p

I don't lock it when embarking, I think it said somewhere on the carnival website or something not to. I do lock it when flying in and the last night of the cruise when you put your luggage outside the room.

How many of you lock your luggage that you check in? I know they do random checks, so if you lock your luggage, they would have to break your lock. Is it better to just leave it unlocked? I really would hate to check in my luggage unlocked :rolleyes:.
Cruise line personnel won't break the locks. If they want to inspect the contents of your locked checked bag, they will call you to come open it for them.

I NEVER leave my bags unlocked. I use TSA approved locks for airline travel. If we drive, I use zip ties and cut them off with the nail clipper I keep in my purse.

I always lock my mine. I don't smuggle any little "treats" so I don't care if they decide to call me to the naughty room. Between handing my luggage over to the porter and the time that I can drag it into the cabin, I don't want anyone to be tempted by an easy "crime of opportunity." Yes, anyone with a cheap pair of wire cutters can snap luggage locks open, but most people aren't toting around wire cutters.

I have never locked any luggage. Heck, I have never locked my house? Not sure I even have a key for it? In fact, I think I have only locked my car a few times? Just not a lock kinda guy.
Be sure to mention that to your insurance company, when your luck runs out. Unless you're not an insurance kinda guy, either. :rolleyes:

I live in a pretty rural location and few folks I know lock homes around here. As for cars, I not sure someone would want to rub my rusty old van, even when I am in town ( few hundred folks) people who have something for me just toss it in my van, way things are done around my neck of the woods.

If I am in a big town I have locked the doors occasionally. Insurance, home and car indeed (no health) let's not tell them.

For those of you who use zip ties, how do you cut the tie when you get to your destination? I would be just my luck to think Im Ms. Smarty Pants and zip tie my suitcase closed, only to have no way to get it back open! :p

Nail clippers in the outside pocket of luggage.

I have never locked any luggage. Heck, I have never locked my house? Not sure I even have a key for it? In fact, I think I have only locked my car a few times? Just not a lock kinda guy.

Must be a Minnesota thing... we live in the "country" and rarely, if ever lock our doors. Minnesota nice and all... ;)

How many of you lock your luggage that you check in? I know they do random checks, so if you lock your luggage, they would have to break your lock. Is it better to just leave it unlocked? I really would hate to check in my luggage unlocked :rolleyes:.

We put colored cable ties through the zippers of our Walmart luggage.

If they need to open it than its easy to get in.

Plus its easy to spot our luggage with the cable ties.

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Must be a Minnesota thing... we live in the "country" and rarely, if ever lock our doors. Minnesota nice and all... ;)
. We only live a couple towns away from you.

This Minnesotan does not lock our luggage but we do lock our home and vehicles. We do live very rural also, but you never know and have had local friends who were robbed. Being rural also makes you a target IMHO.

We have never locked our bags. A friend has locked his for the past 3 cruises and has had to open them even when there was nothing wrong with the contents? He is not going to lock next time and see if it was the locks or the way he packs that got them noticed?

. We only live a couple towns away from you.

This Minnesotan does not lock our luggage but we do lock our home and vehicles. We do live very rural also, but you never know and have had local friends who were robbed. Being rural also makes you a target IMHO.

Yeah, I know that... and sometimes I do lock the front door at night, but the slider out back is always open because of the dogs. I guess I'll change that habit now that you've planted the seed. LOL :eek:

Delano, Howard Lake, Cokato, Buffalo? A couple towns can only be so many.... ;)

We always lock it and have never had a lock brocken. A friend who tried to smuggle had to go to the naughty room to open his luggage. So I don't think they break locks.

I always lock my mine. I don't smuggle any little "treats" so I don't care if they decide to call me to the naughty room. Between handing my luggage over to the porter and the time that I can drag it into the cabin, I don't want anyone to be tempted by an easy "crime of opportunity." Yes, anyone with a cheap pair of wire cutters can snap luggage locks open, but most people aren't toting around wire cutters.

Never thought about that :eek:. I wouldn't want anyone to put something in my luggage. I think I will lock mine.

You will change your tune if you ever get robbed.

Minnesota may be nice, but it just takes one time. I thought my neighborhood was pretty well guarded (security at gate) until we came home from vacationing in DisneyWorld just to find out my home was robbed. Its been years, but I still find myself checking doors during the day. It is a terrible feeling knowing someone has gone through your home. No, I didn't have an alarm years ago, but you can bet I sure as he** got one installed after that.

I always lock my luggage. If the cruise line needs to check they will call you to come to the room where the luggage is and ask you to open it. The cruise line will not cut your lock.

No. I don't lock my bags. I don't want the hassle of being called to the naughty room to unlock them.

Just got back from a 4 day Bahamas cruise on Sensation. They held my bag in Security and had me go down and open it in front of a guard. They would not cut or open my TSA approved lock on the bag.

The funny thing was there wasn't any booze, guns, knives, etc in my bag. Nothing at all that should have triggered an inspection. The wife's bag had the booze and was not bothered at all. Go figure.

ABSOLUTELY Lock it. and no, they will not break your lock.

{you are referring to a cruise line and not flying on an airline?}

If locked, and they don't think there is a WMD inside, your luggage will make it onto the ship and worst case, you will have to come down to the naughty room to unlock so security can inspect. Been there, done it.

If they think there is a WMD inside, whether or not it is locked won't matter. ;)

I have never heard of random cruise line checks.

Archived