What I've learned this cruise (Visit to the infirmary!)

Superjoku

Sorry to hear you got hurt but that is good that you have travel insurance. It will pay for your visit to the ship's Dr if you have medical coverage on it but if you have your own health insurance you have to file a claim with them first....that is what happened for me. As it turned out my health regular health insurance paid the whole bill less my deductible which is only $12 so I didn’t bother to file LOL.

BTW my DD Jacquie and SIL Julio are siling with you!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Wow that is a great price for x-rays and a cast.

Our health insurance co-pay for an emergency room visit is $400.00 and they no longer waive it if you are admitted, as happened to DH in Feb.

We always buy travel insurance that is primary and not subordinated to our health insurance (Allianz) so we would be reimbursed 100% for what you had treated in the infirmary.

Very sorry to hear about your accident :( Hope you feel better soon!

I can sorta relate as an 18yr in Highschool on a senior field trip I tumbled down the mountains of Breckenridge Colorado while skiiling and tore my anterior cruciate and medial collateral (sp?) in my knee.....After a day of skiing and ice skating my vacation was over. I made the best of it but it was a bummer when all my friends were having a blast while I laid in bed. I ventured out in crutches the next couple days but not quite the same. Being rescued by the ski patrol and laying in an infirmary for hours were quite the experience, as was relaying the message to very worried parents back home in Texas. But I always have the story to tell!!

Good luck to you :)

I know what you mean about crutches. I had a similar foot break while visiting an old graveyard in Boston on a leaf-peeper cruise. I thought I could manage with them, but quickly discovered that a wheelchair was the only option. And it was an eye-opening experience to be on a wheelchair on a cruise. You would be surprised how many times folks would crowd past me to get in an elevator and just leave me staring at the now-full elevator. Make sure you've got somebody to run interference for you at elevators and buffets!

OP I'm so sorry this happened on you vacation! Glad to see that you are making the best of it... Your bill here would have probably been in the 1000's so I'm glad you got good care.

I ended up in the infirmary on our last cruise. It was a "norolike' virus (4 days into the cruise) that I seemed to be the only one on the ship with. I was really worried about the bill but they did blood work, gave me anti nausea meds, gave me IV's for dehydration and I recieved the best care I have EVER had while sick. All for free.. I guess Carnival will take care of GI problems for free.. just FYI for those that get sick and don't want to go to the infirmary. GO!

5 months earlier I was in the ER here at home, and it was an AWFUL experience. The comparison in type of care and concern is crazy!

Our private health insurance does not cover any out of country medical costs and it is very good coverage. I think most private insurance is the same. Medicare and Medicaid also don't cover out of country medical expenses.

Ours that we have through DH's employer will pay. It is one of the circumstances where you don't have to use a preferred provider.

So sorry about your accident. Last Summer while on a camping vacation, I stepped on uneven ground and broke my foot. Spent the rest of trip on pain pills, crutches, foot wrapped and in a special shoe. Rented a wheelchair at Cedar Point and had to skip going on rides. Ended up in walking boot for 2 months.

Foot injuries are no fun hope you do better real soon.

Wow... I am so sorry. Glad you are taking it so well. I would be a basketcase! Yay for you! :)

As far as insurance... I just checked my health insurance (i live in Michigan and have private insurance through my employer) and they do pay for out-of-country charges for "medical". I am not sure if they cover wheelchairs or things like that but the "medical" stuff would be covered (good to know). Thank you to the OP for prompting me to check.

I picked through my health insurance booklet (Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Texas) and the only non-US exclusion I found was if you visit a country specifically to receive medical care. Granted, my plan would force me to cover the amount over BCBSTX's "Allowable Amount", but because it's treatment for accidental injury my deductible wouldn't be any different than in-network.

I wonder how this would work with my insurance. I have to pay a hefty deductable (more than the bill), so I would pay that (essentially pay twice) and then file a claim with my travel insurance and be reimbursed?????

I've got a high-deductible health plan, so I have a $3k/person annual deductible. If you have an annual deductible like me, you'd file a claim in order to have the costs go against your deductible and lower it for future claims in the year. If you've got a high per-incident deductible, though, filing a claim won't do anything for you. When you file a claim you don't pay anything, it's just asking the insurance company to pay you back. When you go to a contracting doctor, they file the claim for you to get the insurance company to pay them back instead.

It's kinda like auto insurance, if you've got a $1000 comprehensive deductible, then if you filed a claim for $200 in repairs for a paint scratch then you wouldn't pay the auto insurance company anything, you'd just be asking them to repay you the costs of the repairs (and they wouldn't, because your per-incident deductible is too high).

OP - sorry to hear of your troubles but very thankful for the post. I'm very accident prone so it's good to know I'll be in good hands when it happens while cruising.

Also thanks to the poster who told about their DH's experience while having breathing issues. We're wanting to take our grandkids cruising, but GS has severe asthma so emergency care for him has made me hesitant. After your post I'm feel much more comfortable taking him.

I think next time I hurt my ankle I'll just book a cruise and have it treated there. The whole cruise and treatment might be cheaper than our ER.

example:

My Ex took our daughter to the ER for a rash that had been around for about three weeks. She didn't use our Pediatrician so she wouldn't have to pay anything. Just had the ER bill sent to me...Anyway, the ER Doc looked at the rash, said he wasn't sure what was causing it, wrote a prescription for the itching and sent the bill for about $700. I took her to our Pediatrician. He told us what was wrong, said it would clear up in about a week and billed us $65.

I went to the infirmery on our first cruise for a rash. I suspected I was havin an allergic reaction to the soap used on the sheets as it was on my arms and legs only. They gave me some cream and no bill.

I broke my little toe while in Cozumel. Got back to the ship, went to infirmary, they took care of me immediately ( being Canadian, quick medical attention is not something we are used to!). They only charged me for pain pills. all of 7$. Obviously didn't claim it to insurance:).

OP I feel bad for you, it sucks. Keep your chin up and enjoy all the attention from your travel companion!

[quote name='Superjoku']At the moment, I am sitting in my stateroom looking out at Bermuda!

Unfortunately, I am also wearing a hideous cast on my foot.

While on a guided tour, I stepped wrong and snap. The stairs were uneven and the ground at the bottom of the step was kind of dug out and irregular. Our guide said a woman split her knee open at that spot and that it had been brought to the attention of the government to fix. Anyways.

I got a nice tour of the infirmary. Very cool. They seem to be very well prepared. Since I was injured off the ship and not on a Carnival excursion, we had to pay for the service. $90 for a doctors visit. Total of $294 for doctors visit, x-rays, pain meds, and the cast. A fraction of what I would have paid in the states at an ER, but I was surprised that they didn't accept any kind of insurance. I was also surprised that everything was just charged to our sign and sail account.

Crutches could be rented for a $50 deposit. Crutches really aren't practical on a ship. Besides the fact that ones balance is compromised by the movement of the ocean, there is just an insane amount of walking. Still they are handy for getting around the room.

Ultimately, we rented a wheelchair as well. Not a motorized one, just a regular wheelchair. It cost $175 ($50 which is refunded after returning the chair).

We do have travel insurance. . . not really sure if they will cover anything or not. Guess we'll find out when we get home.

Anyways, it has been interesting![/quote]
Sorry for the mishap. I doubt if any ship accepts insurance, they are not in the billing business. I guess whatever travel insurance you have will reimburse you.

[quote name='NKsDogWalker']Wow... I am so sorry. Glad you are taking it so well. I would be a basketcase! Yay for you! :)

As far as insurance... I just checked my health insurance (i live in Michigan and have private insurance through my employer) and they do pay for out-of-country charges for "medical". I am not sure if they cover wheelchairs or things like that but the "medical" stuff would be covered (good to know). Thank you to the OP for prompting me to check.[/quote]
Out of the country expenses, probably. But, do expenses on a ship fall under this catagory?

Sorry about your accident. Acually sort of sucks. Interesting to me about renintg a wheelchair.

I agree with you about the facilities. Last week on the Splendor I have a temporary cronw break and I went down there to see if they could put it back on,,they could have had it not been broken. While down there the nurse let me look around,,amazing facility. ICUs, xrays, probaby a better clinic then some of the cities we went though while in Mexico.

[quote name='FightOnRon']Sorry about your accident. Acually sort of sucks. Interesting to me about renintg a wheelchair.

I agree with you about the facilities. Last week on the Splendor I have a temporary cronw break and I went down there to see if they could put it back on,,they could have had it not been broken. While down there the nurse let me look around,,amazing facility. ICUs, xrays, probaby a better clinic then some of the cities we went though while in Mexico.[/QUOTE]

I would assume that it was broken they needed a dentist to make a new one. They prob had cement to place it but temporaries are custom to fit your tooth.

I too am very sorry you got hurt! Posters are right if you work and have insurance through your company, once you set foot outside of the US they don't pay a thing, so I am indeed glad you have travel insurance. Make sure you keep all your paperwork. They even pay for things such as...you had to take a different flight and you had a change charge.
Once you get home think about getting a medical scooter. I am sitting here with a broken ankle and they were a godsend. I bought one on Craigslist, one via insurance and one loaner (I live in a 3 level split). The scooter is so much better than crutches or a walker, doesn't wear you out so. I don't have to use one now as am able to put weight on the ankle...so you will see plenty on Craigslist.
Best of luck, eat lots of protein and hopefully you are being pampered by a loved one, Lydia of Ohio

[quote name='Superjoku']At the moment, I am sitting in my stateroom looking out at Bermuda!

Unfortunately, I am also wearing a hideous cast on my foot.

While on a guided tour, I stepped wrong and snap. The stairs were uneven and the ground at the bottom of the step was kind of dug out and irregular. Our guide said a woman split her knee open at that spot and that it had been brought to the attention of the government to fix. Anyways.

I got a nice tour of the infirmary. Very cool. They seem to be very well prepared. Since I was injured off the ship and not on a Carnival excursion, we had to pay for the service. $90 for a doctors visit. Total of $294 for doctors visit, x-rays, pain meds, and the cast. A fraction of what I would have paid in the states at an ER, but I was surprised that they didn't accept any kind of insurance. I was also surprised that everything was just charged to our sign and sail account.

Crutches could be rented for a $50 deposit. Crutches really aren't practical on a ship. Besides the fact that ones balance is compromised by the movement of the ocean, there is just an insane amount of walking. Still they are handy for getting around the room.

Ultimately, we rented a wheelchair as well. Not a motorized one, just a regular wheelchair. It cost $175 ($50 which is refunded after returning the chair).

We do have travel insurance. . . not really sure if they will cover anything or not. Guess we'll find out when we get home.

Anyways, it has been interesting![/quote]

I broke my foot on a Carnival excursion and the care on the ship was free, no charges on my S&S at all. A fringe benefit of booking a Carnival excursion that I was not aware of. Nice surprise though.

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']Out of the country expenses, probably. But, do expenses on a ship fall under this catagory?[/quote]

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Yes. It's all based on where the ship is registered. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]A lot of private health insurances will cover it as an out of network provider. It just depends on the company and the rules. I worked for CF BCBS for Maryland and BCBS has a special phone number and department for people needing info or needing to submit claims for out of country medical care. It's always best to check with your private insurance before travelling to see if they have any type of coverage for you in case something happens. It makes taking care of it when you get home a lot easier if you already have an idea of what you need to do. ALWAYS get a detailed receipt from the ship's infirmary because they need all of the info they can get about your treatment or care. They absolutely have to have a DX (diagnosis) code and a CPT/HCPC (procedure code) and ususally want a detailed description of the procedure to verify your level of coverage. :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived