Best Buys on Board?

I like to have a bit of a shop especially on sea days....what do you think of the onboard shopping opportunities...which ship...what do you think are the best buys onboard.

I have found Clarins cosmetics to be well priced on the US based Princess ships around 30% less that in stores. Perfumes OK but not cheaper than you can buy online, duty free alcohol is variable. Jewellery, interesting range but usually very over priced. My best buy have been interesting little things..I picked up a pump atomiser on the Dawn Princess that allows me to carry a small amount of my favourite perfume in my handbag..only $25 but I have not seen anything similar anywhere. Bijou Terner cheap crap. T shirts can be a bargain at $5 but only if you are happy to wear a T shirt from some place you have never been LOL.

Share your best onboard shopping hints..dont forget to name the ship.

Sue

I agree with all you have said above. You get tired of all the usual cheap watches etc. The best buys for me were on the Rhapsody. They serve their cocktails in beautiful and colourful glassware, which they also sell for a small price. I got a set of 6, new and boxed, and use them all the time for prawn cocktails and desserts. I also prefer the cheaper prices for makeup/perfumes on the US based ships. My Chanel No 5 has been as low as $65.....a bargain....I bought 5 of them last year, and can now use it as an everyday perfume. Star Cruises, quite a few years ago, had great stuff too (Superstar Leo), with lots of oriental themed gear ie wall hangings made from silk, top quality wall clocks....bit different to the normal 'garbage'.....classy stuff.

Jen

Living in the states I have found that perfumes and make-up/skin products sold on ships (RCI, Celebrity, HAL, CCL, Princess) are not a savings over what I can buy them for at home, on the internet, etc. But we have Aussie freinds we travel with and the on ship pirices are often quite a savings for them.

RCI, Legend of the Seas, had some really fun inexpensive boxed jewelry on our Asia cruise. I noticed one woman with at least 20 boxes in her arms and she told me she owned a shop and was buying them for re-sale. I've never bought any, but there is usually a line for plated chain by the inch.

I've bought nice, great quality tops/tunics on several cruises in their boutiques. Every time I wear one I smile remembering the great times we had on our trip...the memories are priceless!

I like the idea of glassware...I'll look into that on our next cruise!!

~~Judy

I come away with the big mugs...great for our coffee machine :) Nice and strong...and no chips from the kids yet :) They are just great size for us which is not easy to find on land....

I am thinking about the eco-drive watches...but I all ready have 2....so have promised our teenage girl we will get her one...from memory around $99

I find being on the large side...there is not much in the way of clothes....but I did get a pink top with beading and butterflies on it for a good price in a sale....

The best prices for this aussie family was definitely carnival dream from Florida to the Caribbean, the prices on various goods on ship was so much cheaper it was ridiculous, guess necklaces $30, Guess sandle, type thongs bout $20, shawls $10 and duty free alcohol in the US virgin islands then the ship matched the price most 1 litre bottles rum, vodka, bourbon $8.95 its the same as shopping in the US so much cheaper then here at OZ.

Gidday all.

Aussie Mim, you purchased alcohol in the islands, were you able to bring that onboard from the port?

Just wondering if we are able to grab a bottle of wine or keep our duty free with us when we get on in Sydney?

Thanking you in anticipation.

TraceyG

Celebrity out of Sydney........2 x 1 litre bottles of Johnny Walker Red, for around $US25 by memory. Also T shirts with sparkly motive for $US8. I've worn them heaps and always get comments on how pretty they are. With our dollar exchange at the time, these were sooooooo cheap.

Gidday all.

Aussie Mim, you purchased alcohol in the islands, were you able to bring that onboard from the port?

Just wondering if we are able to grab a bottle of wine or keep our duty free with us when we get on in Sydney?

Thanking you in anticipation.

TraceyG

Alcohol purchased duty free in islands is delivered to the ship and held by them until the last night. Princess allows you to bring a bottle of wine on each at each port including Sydney...you'll have to drink your duty free spirits before you get on in Sydney LOL.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Not wanting to hijack the thread...but

We are on the Voyager to New Zealand Nov 5th and are planning on a wine tour when we get to Adelaide.

Can we purchase a bottle or two at the vineyards and bring it back on board with us ???

Hope so !!

You should be able to bring it back on board, but you won't be able to drink it on the ship. It will likely be collected and held, for collection when you finish the cruise. Best to confirm with security before you get off at that port though.

Archived