Best place for glacier viewing on the Volendam

namaste859

My husband and I are going on a cruisetour with HAL and will be joining the Volendam at Skagway, midway through the cruise. Because we will only be on the ship four nights, we booked an inside cabin (7071) on the Navigation deck.

We will not have a chance to scope out the ship before Glacier Bay, the next day, and we want the best view, since it is our only glacier day.

So, where is the best viewing for glaciers on Volendam? We will have a deck on the aft of Navigation, but is the aft the best place, since you cannot see all around? What about the sky deck? It is on the tip top, but would it be so cold that you would regret it?

We will be there in the first few days of July.

I hope to be on the Bow! (early June.)

This shows benches on the Veendam:

holland-america-veendam.jpg

That's good to know, as I'll be on the Veendam in Antarctica next year, and it can be great viewing out there.

If you look approximately in the center of the bow, there's a big white, looks like a container of some sort. I remember one on the Rotterdam, and know I can climb up there to sit. It's not uncomfortable, and allows for great views in pretty much every direction. The bench limits views because it's so far back.

Thanks for the info! :)

Yes, I was looking at that Veranda deck too. I think that we might check that out and the fitness center. I didn't realize that you could sit by the windows, but the pictures look as thougth there are seats. Also, there is a spot near Club HAL that looks interesting, but it might be full of youngsters.

I'm not sure why I didn't check You-Tube at first, but I found a really great video of the Volendam that might interest some of you...and bring back memories to others:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the photo of the Volendam bow. I can see the small decks on the Lido and the other deck on the Veranda that might be good options too. What is the deck at the very top? Is that the sport deck/Club HAL area, or is this the sky deck? Can you get an unobstructed view from there?

To get to the forward viewing area on Verandah deck (six?) go all the way forward on the port side. It looks like a dead end but it is not. The corridor takes a left turn and there is a door out to the deck. You can't get there from the starboard side corridor which goes into a crew area. Sky deck on Volendam and Zaandam is sheltered in front by plexiglas so could be a good place to try. If there is wind, the stairway up there is very exposed. There is no inside access to the Sky Deck.

I have found that I get the best view from the bow of the ship. Promeade deck forward. I get there by going on the LP forward and there is a stair case that takes you up to where the door is going out on the the Bow.

What is the deck at the very top? Is that the sport deck/Club HAL area, or is this the sky deck? Can you get an unobstructed view from there?

At the very top and front? That would be the Sky deck (10) above the Crow's Nest. Misdhips on Sky deck is the Oasis area. Sports deck is 9.

I would start off the morning at the Crows Nest. Make sure you get your passport stamped by the ranger with the Glacier Bay Stamp. Also when you start into Glacier Bay and exit it is some of the best whale watching of the entire cruise. When you get closer into the start of the bay the rangers will be looking for bears on the beaches. Ask the rangers to mark up the map the stewards will leave in your stateroom the night before for areas where to look for sea otters' date=' seals, puffins, eagles. Walk around the ship throughout the day and take in the beauty of Glacier Bay from the different decks. Also, on Glacier Bay besides the pea soup, we had a great buffet for lunch on the Lido Deck. It was all types of Alaskan sea food.Also, take time to attend one of the rangers talks in the theater. They are worth the time and they schedule them so you don't miss the main sites ofGlacier Bay. If your primarily interested in seeing wildlife like I was, ask them where and what times and be on the outside decks because when they spot widlife they will point them out.[/quote']

Thank you, lots of great information in this post!

Yes, I can see that this post has a lot of visitors. Thank you for all of your advice. I think that what we might do is start out on the Veranda (with the secret entrance!) and then if we are cold or want to sit, we can always go to the fitness room. We might wander around and pick up some pea soup, which sounds yummy, or try the sky deck depending on the weather.

• 1 month later...
My husband and I are going on a cruisetour with HAL and will be joining the Volendam at Skagway, midway through the cruise. Because we will only be on the ship four nights, we booked an inside cabin (7071) on the Navigation deck.

We will not have a chance to scope out the ship before Glacier Bay, the next day, and we want the best view, since it is our only glacier day.

So, where is the best viewing for glaciers on Volendam? We will have a deck on the aft of Navigation, but is the aft the best place, since you cannot see all around? What about the sky deck? It is on the tip top, but would it be so cold that you would regret it?

We will be there in the first few days of July.

If you want to stay toastie warm, the Crows Nest is an excellent spot and has easy access to outside Deck 9. Hot coffee, Hot chocolate and Dutch Green Pea Soup are offered up there. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Archived