Caviar on HAL

sullaRaffaello

Our next cruise takes us to Russia - methinks the ship will have caviar;) and if not, methinks I will be buying some anyways:):)

Because it has gotten so popular worldwide along with over-fished and rarer, I hear it is hard now to find fresh caviar in Russia - and certainly not for the few cents they charged back in the 1970s. But by all means have it fresh and local when you are there. It is sublime.

During Intermission at the Ballet in Moscow, I tried to pay for the little caviar sandwiches I had just gotten at the refreshment stall. The lady kept shaking her head when I offered her some coins. I kept offering her more since neither of us understood each other's language. Finally she pointed to some of the last coins I had and took the smallest one - it was only a few cents.

Thin sliced, homemade white bread, thin smear of sweet butter and the sweetest, slightly salty, crispy, crunchy (impossible to describe the overall flavor of caviar) little individual jewels that just popped in the mouth bursting with the most delicate flavor I had ever tasted. Remember it well these 40 years past.

Because it has gotten so popular worldwide along with over-fished and rarer, I hear it is hard now to find fresh caviar in Russia - and certainly not for the few cents they charged back in the 1970s. But by all means have it fresh and local when you are there. It is sublime.

During Intermission at the Ballet in Moscow, I tried to pay for the little caviar sandwiches I had just gotten at the refreshment stall. The lady kept shaking her head when I offered her some coins. I kept offering her more since neither of us understood each other's language. Finally she pointed to some of the last coins I had and took the smallest one - it was only a few cents.

Thin sliced, homemade white bread, thin smear of sweet butter and the sweetest, slightly salty, crispy, crunchy (impossible to describe the overall flavor of caviar) little individual jewels that just popped in the mouth bursting with the most delicate flavor I had ever tasted. Remember it well these 40 years past.

We were there more than a decade ago - I'm hoping our private guide will help us in this direction:):)

That's odd. There's no place near you where you can buy it? Well, there's always the internet. :) Surely you can find it on line.

Judy, re-read Yonnie's post...she said there is a specialty shop where she can buy it.

Seabourn is the luxury cruiseline of Carnival Corp, not a part of mass market HAL even if one or 2 of the execs have different duties in both lines. They have wisely kept the differences in the 2 cruiselines to appeal to a variety of customers. Each line has a separate niche within the parent corporation. I've sailed both; they are very different, as the Carnival ships are different from HAL on the other end. We like both HAL and Seabourn.

Seabourn is the luxury cruiseline of Carnival Corp' date=' not a part of mass market HAL even if one or 2 of the execs have different duties in both lines. They have wisely kept the differences in the 2 cruiselines to appeal to a variety of customers. Each line has a separate niche within the parent corporation. I've sailed both; they are very different, as the Carnival ships are different from HAL on the other end. We like both HAL and Seabourn.[/quote']

Totally agree - and I think the Prinsendam (the elegant explorer) fits someplace in between the two - even though she is a HAL ship. The whole point of different offerings is to suit the different niches. The two major cruise lines have done a good job of it;)

Totally agree - and I think the Prinsendam (the elegant explorer) fits someplace in between the two - even though she is a HAL ship. The whole point of different offerings is to suit the different niches. The two major cruise lines have done a good job of it;)

That makes sense, kazu. Prisendam I believe holds approx 800 pax while the small SB ships have around 250 and the new "big" ships carry 450. I love this size, so intimate and friendly, and everyone mixes so easily. I would like to sail on Prisendam some day.

Seabourn is worth sailing just for the caviar. Anywhere, anytime, as much as you want and it's delicious. In dining rooms or room service anytime and better yet in any bar at anytime. We had a great afternoon at the outdoor Sky Bar overlooking the pool at a table with 4 other people. Someone asked for caviar and they brought out enough for about 12 with all the fixins'.

There is even a beach party in the Caribbean and other destinations with 'Caviar in the Surf'. Stewards in bathing suits and tux shirts walk in the surf from the ship carrying enough caviar for everyone on the ship. Quite the experience.

Enjoyed the caviar on Seabourn on my two crossings.

Apparently, they have changed their supplier to one from South America.

http://blog.seabourn.com/seabourn-sources-sustainable-sturgeon-caviar

I disagree with SwissMyst about Crystal. I had it several times on the Symphony and thought it was good. How else besides a tin are they going to ship it?

A little dollop? We had bowls and bowls of it as everyone did whenever and wherever requested. In fact you often didn't have to request any caviar- sitting around having drinks they just brought it. 'Caviar in the Surf' provided all-you-can-eat caviar for the entire ship at the beach party.

Best I could find to match the photo in the current Seabourn Catalog for the Caviar in the Surf photo: American paddlefish caviar: http://www.idealcaviar.com/caviar/customer/product.php?productid=16225&cat=281&page=1

Best I could find to match the photo in the current Seabourn Catalog for the Caviar in the Surf photo: American paddlefish caviar: http://www.idealcaviar.com/caviar/customer/product.php?productid=16225&cat=281&page=1

I'm not sure why I am bothering with this nor why you are so intent to prove you know all about what the amenities are on Seabourn when you have zero experience with the cruiseline. I doubt anyone else understands what your problem is either.

The brochure picture you reference of "Caviar in the Surf" is a representation. Well over 90% of the pax go onto the island for the day. Are you really trying to say that the 4 glasses of champagne and small tray of caviar in the picture is all there is to serve over 400 people? Both are available all day. This event is one of the highlights of the warm weather cruises and done beautifully. Of course there is a lot of other great food also and all the exotic drinks you would expect at such a beach party.

I am only replying and going into detail because you apparently are saying I'm either exaggerating or lying and you are going to so much trouble looking through brochures to prove it. :rolleyes:

The topic became caviar is caviar is caviar. When a ship or a passenger touts caviar, it is instructional to determine as closely as possible what kind of caviar they are claiming.

Some caviar is wonderful and unfortunately some is just feh. Just trying to find out what kind of caviar Seabourn touted, and this American brand paddlefish caviar apparently is what they show in their own marketing photo.

That's all.

If you want to take your own caviar onboard for a sailaway, the ships' coordinator will most likely be able to arrange the "set up" of the accompaniments for you -- delivered to your cabin at a time you specify. They graciously did that for us one time.

If you want to fly with your own caviar, CATSA (Canada's version of TSA) suggested that I use frozen peas or frozen corn as the chilling agent. Not a gel, not a frozen liquid, so it was permitted in the airplane cabin in my carry-on. Check with TSA and see if that is their recommendation, too. The security screeners in Calgary had a GREAT time with my little stash :)

Innlady1 -- google Alaska Fish Company (I think) -- they ship salmon caviar to your door at a better price than the other link provided.

If you want to take your own caviar onboard for a sailaway, the ships' coordinator will most likely be able to arrange the "set up" of the accompaniments for you -- delivered to your cabin at a time you specify. They graciously did that for us one time.

If you want to fly with your own caviar, CATSA (Canada's version of TSA) suggested that I use frozen peas or frozen corn as the chilling agent. Not a gel, not a frozen liquid, so it was permitted in the airplane cabin in my carry-on. Check with TSA and see if that is their recommendation, too. The security screeners in Calgary had a GREAT time with my little stash :)

Innlady1 -- google Alaska Fish Company (I think) -- they ship salmon caviar to your door at a better price than the other link provided.

Hi Cow Princess - question on the set up for the caviar - did you do that before you left on the cruise (using ship's co-ordinator through HAL) or did you arrange it on board? what a wonderful idea - I'd never thought of it.

Was there a charge for the accompanients? thanks so much:)

Kazu, I arranged it all beforehand -- probably about a month in advance. My PCC got the ships' coordinator in touch with me. The SC phoned me, IIRC.

The set-up was complimentary :eek: which I was not expecting. This was in May 09 I think, so the "complimentary" part may have changed. Actually, given how much the staffing has been cut, and the "stateroom direct" program, I wonder if they could manage to do this now. Doesn't hurt to ask, anyway. They even provided a huge bowl of ice. No caviar spoons were availabe, though, so we managed with plastic spoons :D

If you are cruising from a US port, Gourmet Food Store online has a great selection and will deliver to your hotel attn: concierge, if you don't want to fly with it :)

We had lots leftover from our sailaway, and enjoyed it with Eggs Benny/Smoked Salmon the next day.

I was speaking today with a lady I know from Russia. Her DH was recently there and came home without caviar for her though they normally bring some back. He said it has gotten very costly in Russia, as well.

Click on the link in my post #58 above.

This looks like the source of the "South American" caviar http://www.esturionesycaviar.com/ - new production in Argentina using Russian techniques, but this tin is obviously not the than the one in the old Seabourn marketing photo. If it was "South American" black caviar for the Seabourn Surf event, then it was probably not the caviar from Uruguay which is the paler Ossetra type.

This looks like the source of the "South American" caviar http://www.esturionesycaviar.com/ - new production in Argentina using Russian techniques, but this tin is obviously not the than the one in the old Seabourn marketing photo. If it was "South American" black caviar for the Seabourn Surf event, then it was probably not the caviar from Uruguay which is the paler Ossetra type.

You apparently, didn't click on the link, or you would have seen this link within it.

www.blackrivercaviar.com

You apparently, didn't click on the link, or you would have seen this link within it.

www.blackrivercaviar.com

Nope, missed it. Thanks for keeping the great global caviar education going. Recently read "Judgment in Paris" about the great but unexpected California-French wine face off back in the 1970's and how it impacted wine production around the world from that point on. Looks like the same thing now is happening with caviar - farmed and even non-kill egg extraction is replacing the call of the wild and getting some fine alternative products out there at the same time -- if you can stand a liberal dose of the "F" word you can look up that Hell's Kitchen guy who has a very interesting youtube about some of the newer caviar production methods in unlikely places.

Archived