Caviar on HAL

sullaRaffaello

Could you help me out here, Joanie?

Where are we talking about?

"....that thingy located next to the drinks"?

Huh?

Thanks if you can tell me where on the ship we're talking about.

Probably the dome display with food in the Neptune lounge.

Joanie, thanks for the info. I take it then, that it's a room service thing, only. I was thinking of the dining room. I believe someone said it's not available in the dining room. Is that correct?

I don't recall seeing it offered in the dining room itself - but i could be wrong

Years ago the black caviar was offered in the dining room as an appetizer on a formal night. Then it was changed to the red caviar. Then it was gone for good from the dining room.

Years ago the black caviar was offered in the dining room as an appetizer on a formal night. Then it was changed to the red caviar. Then it was gone for good from the dining room.

Yes. DH used to really enjoy it.

As I posted above, it has not been offered in the MDR for years.

Now, once in a while, we see some appetizer offered in MDR that says Caviar but they put 2 tiny dots on top and call it a serving. :rolleyes: Anyone that thinks they are going to get caviar in MDR on the regular menu will be disappointed. You might see two dots (eggs) but that's it.

In the 80's and early 90's caviar was served on formal nights. As you entered the MDR there was an ice sculpture and next to it was an ice throne with a bowl of caviar on it. The last time I saw caviar on the main menu was in the Westerdam and was a drop of caviar on an oyster cracker, the whole table had to laugh. Aside from that even the suite luncheon has not had it for a few years. I don't eat roe so my sea going caviar days seem to be over.

We are also caviar lovers, Le Circe had a appitezer that included a very small amount of cavair, ( but you can order mutiple appitezers) dinner is 40 dollars.

HAL just added that appetizer a few months ago:

Le Trio - caviar, smoked salmon and Pate foie gras

Just a tad of caviar -- it was the red kind.

In the dining room I haven't seen anything with 2 red dots on it.

HAL just added that appetizer a few months ago:

Le Trio - caviar, smoked salmon and Pate foie gras

Just a tad of caviar -- it was the red kind.

Like I said....... two tiny dots of caviar.

DH ordered it and it isn't worth mentioning it is caviar there is so little on the plate. It was just about non-existent.... at least that was the case on the plate he was served.

Oh I almost forgot Sails, last year on our 30 day cruise on the Westerdam one of the Suite parties was held in the Pinnacle. It was served buffet style and there was lots of Caviar both black and red. Your Dh would have been in Caviar heaven. It was wonderful.:D

Is caviar available on any HAL ship, even for a fee?

Crystal Cruise Lines offers caviar as an appetizer, but it is terrible tinned stuff not worth eating. Caviar sandwiches used to be available in Russia for a few pennies each (1970's) where it is easy to see what all the fuss was all about - fresh, unpasteurized and un-tinned. Wonderful - one more thing to enjoy when it is local and fresh, but to mainly forget about when it is not.

Sails that would be the Westerdam and the Oosterdam.

Seeing we have upcoming cruises on both Oosterdam and Westerdam :), I will advise DH he can look forward to seeing caviar in Neptune according to the nice folks here on CC.

He'll be delighted. :)

Crystal Cruise Lines offers caviar as an appetizer, but it is terrible tinned stuff not worth eating. ........

Seabourn is worth sailing just for the caviar. Anywhere, anytime, as much as you want and it's delicious. In dining rooms or room service anytime and better yet in any bar at anytime. We had a great afternoon at the outdoor Sky Bar overlooking the pool at a table with 4 other people. Someone asked for caviar and they brought out enough for about 12 with all the fixins'.

There is even a beach party in the Caribbean and other destinations with 'Caviar in the Surf'. Stewards in bathing suits and tux shirts walk in the surf from the ship carrying enough caviar for everyone on the ship. Quite the experience.

Seabourn is worth sailing just for the caviar. Anywhere, anytime, as much as you want and it's delicious. In dining rooms or room service anytime and better yet in any bar at anytime. We had a great afternoon at the outdoor Sky Bar overlooking the pool at a table with 4 other people. Someone asked for caviar and they brought out enough for about 12 with all the fixins'.

There is even a beach party in the Caribbean and other destinations with 'Caviar in the Surf'. Stewards in bathing suits and tux shirts walk in the surf from the ship carrying enough caviar for everyone on the ship. Quite the experience.

Sounds nice.

But all things considered, HAL is our cruise line. ;) :)

Not a problem going to a store and buying caviar anytime we wish.

We just don't think of it. But now that it's on mind...... :D

Just got the Seabourn catalog in the mail yesterday and there it is -- a little dollop of caviar in one of their photos. Since Seabourn looks like it is twice the price of HAL, maybe packing one's own brand for an in room snack on a HAL trip might be the more cost-effective choice to make. :p

http://www.caviarexpress.com/ - (illustrative only, not intended to be commercial)

Just got the Seabourn catalog in the mail yesterday and there it is -- a little dollop of caviar in one of their photos. Since Seabourn looks like it is twice the price of HAL, maybe packing one's own brand for an in room snack on a HAL trip might be the more cost-effective choice to make. :p

http://www.caviarexpress.com/ - (illustrative only, not intended to be commercial)

A little dollop? We had bowls and bowls of it as everyone did whenever and wherever requested. In fact you often didn't have to request any caviar- sitting around having drinks they just brought it. 'Caviar in the Surf' provided all-you-can-eat caviar for the entire ship at the beach party.

For those sailing HAL suites and/or those who enjoy mixed drinks, soft drinks, and alternative dining, terrific gourmet coffee drinks, etc. (all the things you pay extra for on HAL) HAL and Seabourn are very comparable in price. Everything is included on Seabourn- all alcohol and drinks of any kind, alternative dining in any of the restaurants, tips are included in your fare. It was very comparable to HAL when you compare apples to apples and add in all the extras you pay for on HAL over and above your basic fare.

Your information is incorrect.

You might be right SwissMyst.:D

I hate to disagree with the experts - but we saw if offered at the wine tastings - for a fee:D wine tastings are not that expensive and if you enjoy caviar - it's there :) I think it was the premium wine tastings:D

I guess, if that is the case, we should start attending wine tastings.

A little dollop? We had bowls and bowls of it as everyone did whenever and wherever requested. In fact you often didn't have to request any caviar- sitting around having drinks they just brought it. 'Caviar in the Surf' provided all-you-can-eat caviar for the entire ship at the beach party.

If Seabourn serves bowls and bowls of the stuff, one does not see the original label. For $85 bucks you can fill a large dog dish with the stuff: http://www.beverlyhillscaviar.com/caviar-black-caviar-black-whitefish-caviar-16oz-pail.html?&partner=caviarinc

We do have a speciality store where we can get caviar.

We are not fond of the red stuff -- Beluga is our favorite -- quite expensive. We also like Sevruga.

We haven't treated ourselves to some in a long time -- think I will get some for next Christmas.

That's odd. There's no place near you where you can buy it?

Well, there's always the internet. :)

Surely you can find it on line.

I guess, if that is the case, we should start attending wine tastings.

I think they had the munchies to go with the wine posted in the daily explorer - you can also ask your wine steward as I don't think the Daily Explorer highlights everything:)

For those sailing HAL suites and/or those who enjoy mixed drinks, soft drinks, and alternative dining, terrific gourmet coffee drinks, etc. (all the things you pay extra for on HAL) HAL and Seabourn are very comparable in price. Everything is included on Seabourn- all alcohol and drinks of any kind, alternative dining in any of the restaurants, tips are included in your fare. It was very comparable to HAL when you compare apples to apples and add in all the extras you pay for on HAL over and above your basic fare.

For what we pay for our Suites, we can sail any cruise line we wish.

HAL is our choice. :)

I'm sure it isn't your intent to try and recruit HAL cruisers to 'jump ship'. :D

Isn't Seabourn now figuratively part of HAL? Many of the same personnel

in charge of both?

If Seabourn serves bowls and bowls of the stuff, one does not see the original label. For $85 bucks you can fill a large dog dish with the stuff: http://www.beverlyhillscaviar.com/caviar-black-caviar-black-whitefish-caviar-16oz-pail.html?&partner=caviarinc

Thanks for the link! Love the caviar for dogs...maybe that's what I need to buy to feed our finicky Norwich Terrier puppy! :D

Archived