Trip Insurance

Mishelle

This is our second cruise, Last time I booked the insurance right through carnival. I was wondering if there is someplace to get it cheaper and if it is the same. And what companies people have used in the past. Thanks Michelle

try insuremytrip.com They have several companies to go with and are very inexpensive. Tip: if you pay for your insurance within 14 or 21 days, can't remember which, they will cover pre-existing conditions. Good luck, will answer any questions:) Kelly

I made up an Excel spreadsheet to compare insurance. I put the insurance companies across the top then all the items that are shown on insuremytrip. This included the price for the amount of insurance I needed. That way I could easily compare what my costs would be for what service. Insuremytrip has the same basic omparison, but it was easier for me to print out and work with the Excel spreadsheet.

A couple things to consider is how much insurance you need. That includes insurance for the cost of the cruise and also for any medical or medical-related transportation you may need. My personal goal is to maximize the medical-related transportation reimbursement since that would be the biggest impact if I got sick or insured. I have a friend who was in the Caribbean (many miles away from Florida, let alone home here on the West Coast) who had a heart attack and it costs 10's of thousands of dollars for helicopter evacation, hospital care, and care of his wife at the hospital in Florida! Obviously his insurance was invaluable to his family!

The cost for insurance varies by cost of trip (generally in $500 increments) AND age of traveler(s). Age can make a big difference in premium so be sure to factor that into your decision. If an older person is travelling with younger people it can be cheaper to get individual policies. Other times it's cheaper to combine everyone.

There's at least one agency that covers families as a group, which is great if you're travelling with children. Many of the insurance companies require you to buy enough insurance to cover all your non-refundable costs, but there's at least one insurance policy that does not. With this company, you can weigh the importance of all the items then factor in how much premium you want to pay if you're willing to "risk" not getting fully reimbursed for all your costs.

E-mail me directly if you'd like me to e-mail you a copy of the Excel spread sheet I've used: candydane@bctonline.com

Linda

Some things to consider

Hotels, airplanes

Ship cost

Medical

trip interuption

baggage

Use total cost of your trip ie plane $300, Ship $1500 and hotel $100= $1900.00. Most plane fares are non-refundable, hotels are non-refundable (priceline, Expedia etc) if booked through on-line site. The ship breaks it down in your contract as to how much but if less then 30 days is also non-refundable.

If your plane is delayed and you get to port late the ship could be gone and you have to catch up (trip interruption comes in). You could lose/delay a suitcase. You could fall and injury yourself to the point where your cruise could end or you need to be evacuated for medical care (this is where the money is needed at least $30,000.)

I have always purchased it thru the cruiselines but this time my aged mother, who has a pre-existing condition, will be with us and they won't cover her. Is there a Canuk out there who has taken out insurance in a similar circumstance and cld recommend a company for coverage. Sure wld appreciate hearing from you..

I went with Travelex ( I think) or Travelguard (not sure), but you can look them up and check to see who covers most. I was most interrested in medical evacuation, hopefully not needed, but just in case. It costs thousands I hear from the boards if you have to be lifted off the ship to a medical facility and yes, I do know somebody who that did happen to and the situation would be tough enough, needless to say what it would cost you on top of the horrific event, if needed. Anyway, I paid 79.00 for a family of 5. Hope this helps, if more questions, ask away, will look in meantime to see which company it is with, I can't remember anything, :)!;) Kelly

Thanks for all of the quick responses. I am going to research this more today. I have my oldest daughter (20) staying in a cabin with my sil, do you think that will matter. My sil does not want to get insurance she said in an emergency they are going to have to take care of her anyway. Is this insurance by person only or by cabin? Michelle

My sil does not want to get insurance she said in an emergency they are going to have to take care of her anyway.

She's right that they will take care of her but it will cost her BIG bucks. They don't write it off as a bad debt. They will come after her to get reimbursed. If she can afford to take a cruise, she can afford the $100 for insurance. That will be a lot less than $1000's if something happens to her. And who wants to be in a foreign port when something happens? You might want to remind her that things there, don't work the same as in the U.S.:eek:

Medical evacuation alone can cost $15,000 - $25,000, on top of medical care. Insurance is bought for individual persons, not cabins. Price will vary depending on age of cruiser and price of trip. Don't leave home without it.

If your SIL doesn't have the cash to cover an emergency and doesn't want to purchase insurance, she needs to know that she can be sued.

Roz

You're all full of great info! I got a quote for travel insurance that was about 1/2 the cost of what was published in the cruiseline magazine (we're buying it through an agent, so I left him a message to get back to me on the pricing in case it's different). I went to insuremytrip.com. Thanks!

I just bought travel insurance for the four of us yesterday thru the website insuremytrip.com. I've heard alot about them thru the boards here, and you can compare different companies that way - we actually purchased our insurance from Travelex, best rates for what we needed. Check them out.

Regarding the trip insurance plans.Do you have to pay up front then file a claim?or will it be covered up front? My insurance company will reimburse me for emergency exspences but I have to pay up front.Kinda hard to come up with 20K for an evacuation.

Thanks,

CC

Archived