Another Carnival lawsuit

flight medic training in USAF in 1980 .

AIR FORCE Ok How was the country club:p:DJK

SO you remember the MAST trousers that used to be so popular

I am sure there are at least 3 sides to the story.

According to the article Carnival ENCOURAGED her to drink Her family tried to stop her.

A waiter brought a drink to Holcomb, who wasn’t a heavy drinker, so it took her a while to finish it. The traveler continued buying rounds until Holcomb had four beverages on the table before her. The pit boss objected to the number of drinks and took three from Holcomb, saying he’d give her another as she finished one, the lawsuit claims.

Ila Parish, Holcomb’s mother, was concerned, but the pit boss and dealer both said Holcomb “could handle them and that Parish should let her have some fun,” the lawsuit claims.

Who knows we weren't there. My only concern is that All cruise line security and medical personel should receive adequate training, and from what I read I am not so sure they do. I also do not always believe everything I read.

I agree, I think the only liability Carnival has in this is their response and actions, or improper response and actions.

[/b]Who knows we weren't there. My only concern is that All cruise line security and medical personel should receive adequate training, and from what I read I am not so sure they do. I also do not always believe everything I read.

How drunk she was, or that she was drunk, really doesn't affect my opinion. Drunk people have the right to fast medical care.

AIR FORCE Ok How was the country club:p:DJK

SO you remember the MAST trousers that used to be so popular

Yup we stopped teaching those about the time they brought tourniquets back out. I think I used them only once for bleeding/shock. I did use them many times as air splints for pelvis and hip fractures.

What the article lacks is what her THC level was. it gave the BAC but not the THC. She could have smoked the pot 3 days before she even boarded the ship and she would still test positive for it.

It could be in the system for up to 30 DAYS

How drunk she was, or that she was drunk, really doesn't affect my opinion. Drunk people have the right to fast medical care.

Yup I treat the drunk the same as I do the sober. I used to have a signature line years back that said "Stupid people equals job security."

So true....... even IVDA's:cool:

Absolutely Carnival is in the weeds on this one if the article is factual re: the timeline and the ineptitude of the frst responders.

Absolutely Carnival is in the weeds on this one if the article is factual re: the timeline and the ineptitude of the frst responders.

But I think this is where the rub will come in.... International waters.... but I think Carnival will pay to make this go away, just about any company would. Cheaper to pay than to fight it out in court.

i feel sorry for the family to encounter this. HOWEVER...YOU ARE A FREAKING ADULT!!! people should know their limits!!

Being and adult and the amount of alcohol is only one factor. Carnivals lack of proper response is another.

I'm going to slightly disagree here - but not for reasons that you would think.

We have grown accustom to a scoiety where help is just a phone call away. That society is the US. When you depart the US, you are venturing into different rules and customs.

If this person had been on land in Jamiaca and had an artery severing accident, who knows how long it would take the Jamicians to respond. Different country, different rules. She could have sat on beach for 2 hours waiting a medic and bled out there. Do you sue the Jamician government for not having US-type medical respones?

How about an airplane? If the airplane was over the Atlantic Ocean and couldn't land for hours until reaching Iceland, do you blame the airline for not staffing a nurse on board to properly care for her?

It's an unfortuante accident that cost her her life.

I am sure there are at least 3 sides to the story.

According to the article Carnival ENCOURAGED her to drink Her family tried to stop her.

A waiter brought a drink to Holcomb, who wasn’t a heavy drinker, so it took her a while to finish it. The traveler continued buying rounds until Holcomb had four beverages on the table before her. The pit boss objected to the number of drinks and took three from Holcomb, saying he’d give her another as she finished one, the lawsuit claims.

Ila Parish, Holcomb’s mother, was concerned, but the pit boss and dealer both said Holcomb “could handle them and that Parish should let her have some fun,” the lawsuit claims.

Who knows we weren't there. My only concern is that All cruise line security and medical personel should receive adequate training, and from what I read I am not so sure they do. I also do not always believe everything I read.

Reading back, Mom was right there during the drinking, must have left the daughter at some point. Since when does a pit boss say okay she can drink, but mom says nothing to stop her? That emergency call might not have specified what kind of help they needed. They said it was 10 minutes for a nurse to arrive. Well, first off a call had to be made, told what was going on, the nurse had to stop and get supplies, get to whatever location the cabin was. Most infirmaries are on the lowest level, so an elevator was needed. That's a lot of things to fit into 10 minutes.

The Good Samaritan law would protect her depending on what laws the ship fall under, but again, the Dr should have made an appearance, period, as far as I am concerned.

There is no reason for someone to bleed for an hour when there is a Dr in close proximity.

I agree that the MD should have hauled butt to the site.

Good Samaritan laws, in most cases, do not protect medical professionals in the course of their professional duties. Some states have provisions for medical professionals acting as volunteers in an emergency situation. Some states also mandate medical professionals to act if they encounter an emergency situation. Nice little catch 22 there.

Reading back, Mom was right there during the drinking, must have left the daughter at some point. Since when does a pit boss say okay she can drink, but mom says nothing to stop her? That emergency call might not have specified what kind of help they needed. They said it was 10 minutes for a nurse to arrive. Well, first off a call had to be made, told what was going on, the nurse had to stop and get supplies, get to whatever location the cabin was. Most infirmaries are on the lowest level, so an elevator was needed. That's a lot of things to fit into 10 minutes.

Correct, one does not know what was said or told to initiate the response. But what is in the article was that Carnival was not prepared to transport this person down to the infirmary for further medical treatment. You can not transport a person in shock in a wheelchair, not enough blood to get to the brain for the person to function as in breath on their own.

I know the ships I've been on have had crew fire drills on port days. I wonder how much the crews practice for medical emergencies? I don't recall any of the ships I've been on (all non-CCL) doing that. Unfortunately, my personal sample size is smaller than I'd like - I need more cruises.

I know the ships I've been on have had crew fire drills on port days. I wonder how much the crews practice for medical emergencies? I don't recall any of the ships I've been on (all non-CCL) doing that. Unfortunately, my personal sample size is smaller than I'd like - I need more cruises.

I am sure they practice, but how often I do not know. I know they had some show on the travel channel about cruise ships and they showed a emergency response.

We have grown accustom to a scoiety where help is just a phone call away. That society is the US. When you depart the US, you are venturing into different rules and customs.

If this person had been on land in Jamiaca and had an artery severing accident, who knows how long it would take the Jamicians to respond. Different country, different rules. She could have sat on beach for 2 hours waiting a medic and bled out there. Do you sue the Jamician government for not having US-type medical respones?

How about an airplane? If the airplane was over the Atlantic Ocean and couldn't land for hours until reaching Iceland, do you blame the airline for not staffing a nurse on board to properly care for her?

But a ship is much smaller than Jamaica :eek:.

Seriously if Carnival is comfortable taking American money and sailing from American ports they don't get to point to Haiti and say "be glad you didn't get sick there. "

There were medical personel on board.

I don't know how the airlines handle these kind of emergent situations but I am sure they are trained to do so.

If I fall down the stairs and severly injure myself I hope the security and medical staff on board know what hey are doing.

Otherwise I am only cruising with divingmedic. :D

But if the Jamician government provided a Dr to treat emergencies on that beach, would you then expect treatment?

They DID have a Dr. The Dr apparently just didn't come.

Seriously if Carnival is comfortable taking American money and sailing from American ports they don't get to point to Haiti and say "be glad you didn't get sick there. "

I don't know how the airlines handle these kind of emergent situations but I am sure they are trained to do so.

If I fall down the stairs and severly injure myself I hope the security and medical staff on board know what hey are doing.

Actually there was an article not long ago raving on airlines for their cardiac arrest save rate. Of course they only have matter of feet to respond and the planes of AED's on them now. I am pretty just about every plan has someone with some type of medical training on them and there is the passenger pool to help also. Many stories of doctors, nurses, emt's, paramedics saving lives while in flight, and even bring life into the world on flights, many a baby has been born mid air.

You can cruise with me any time mamaskittles :D

Flight attendants have limited training - nothing more than basic CPR. There is a medical kit on board each aircraft, but only a licensed medical professional is allowed to open it. So if you're unlucky enough to be on an airplane with no EMT, nurse or doctor - that kit has to remain sealed.

Again - you can't blame the airline/cruisiline. They have limited training. If you want to fault them for being limited, then you'll have to take it up with the FAA or Maritime laws. They are the ones who set the guidelines for how much training is required for crew members. You can be darn sure Carnival has complied with these guidlelines, otherwise they would not be cruising right now.

Actually there was an article not long ago raving on airlines for their cardiac arrest save rate. Of course they only have matter of feet to respond and the planes of AED's on them now. I am pretty just about every plan has someone with some type of medical training on them and there is the passenger pool to help also. Many stories of doctors, nurses, emt's, paramedics saving lives while in flight, and even bring life into the world on flights, many a baby has been born mid air.

You can cruise with me any time mamaskittles :D

See my previous post.

If this what you believe, then you would be wrong. Your flight attendants are not trained to stitch up a severed artery.

Flight attendants have limited training - nothing more than basic CPR. There is a medical kit on board each aircraft, but only a licensed medical professional is allowed to open it. So if you're unlucky enough to be on an airplane with no EMT, nurse or doctor - that kit has to remain sealed.

Again - you can't blame the airline/cruisiline. They have limited training. If you want to fault them for being limited, then you'll have to take it up with the FAA or Maritime laws. They are the ones who set the guidelines for how much training is required for crew members. You can be darn sure Carnival has complied with these guidlelines, otherwise they would not be cruising right now.

The cruise lines have MD's and RN's on board. The RN's should have at a minimum ACLS and ITLS certification. ITLS would have taught that a tourniquet was needed and would have been applied. Carnival also dropped the ball on not having a proper way to bring this person down to the infirmary for further treatment.

See my previous post.

If this what you believe, then you would be wrong. Your flight attendants are not trained to stitch up a severed artery.

Did not say they did, but I am willing to bet at least one flight attendant on board has a current CPR card.

I'm confused. Are you saying the licensed Dr on-board has limited training, and shouldn't be expected to do a procedure I learned in 8th grade?

I'm not trying to be snarky but they have a Dr.

There is no reason this should have gone on as long as it did.

Archived