Serenity question

txtara

I just read that the age for the serenity area is 21...don't know how I missed that. Do you think they will have a problem with just me and my 18 year old daughter hanging out there?

We took our 11 and 14 year old daughters through Serenity for them to take a look and had no issues. If your daughter acts and behaves like an adult, they won't care. In fact, they don't ID or enforce the rules strictly. They are only concerned about little kids. You and daughter will be fine.

If she isn't "21" then she doesn't belong in the Serenity area, she will be using a chair that someone else could use. Sorry if I sound like an @$$ but the Serenity area is the one place where adults can get away from the kids.

There are plenty of other areas on the ship that you can go with your daughter.

Playing Devil's Advocate here but what if that 18 or 19 year old was a soldier? I would gladly give up my cushion on the Serenity Deck for this defender of my freedoms. Just saying. ;)

If she isn't "21" then she doesn't belong in the Serenity area, she will be using a chair that someone else could use. Sorry if I sound like an @$$ but the Serenity area is the one place where adults can get away from the kids.

There are plenty of other areas on the ship that you can go with your daughter.

I disagree with you! It's about maturity. There's nothing magical about being 21 or the sudden distinction that one becomes an adult at 21. Some 21 year olds behave like 2 year old while some 18 year olds have greater maturity than 40 year olds. We allow 18 year olds to fight in wars, own a weapon, and drive cars, but you have a problem with them hanging out and taking up one measly chair in Serenity? Come on now!! Likewise, there are plenty of other areas of the ship for you to go too.

It's funny how the rest of the ship caters to adults and have adults only venues and events but yet again we try to take up another valuable spot.

Playing Devil's Advocate here but what if that 18 or 19 year old was a soldier? I would gladly give up my cushion on the Serenity Deck for this defender of my freedoms. Just saying. ;)

God bless you! Well said.

Lets give our 18 year olds the license to drive, own a weapon, and fight in wars in foreign lands, but God forbid them from the sacred Serenity!

God bless you! Well said.

Lets give our 18 year olds the license to drive, own a weapon, and fight in wars in foreign lands, but God forbid them from the sacred Serenity!

I also think the drinking age should be 18, but clearly soldiers can risk their lives, but God forbid they drink a beer.

You know what amuses me MOST about this post?! The people telling the OP to keep her daughter out of Serenity most likely won't even be on the same cruise, so clearly won't miss out on their "rightful" lounge on Serenity. I for one will continue to allow my non-disrupting SIL to join us on Serenity. (Assuming the chair hogs leave space open). I used to really enjoy CC boards but the more I read the more self-important whining babies seem to infest the boards. What a shame.

You know what amuses me MOST about this post?! The people telling the OP to keep her daughter out of Serenity most likely won't even be on the same cruise, so clearly won't miss out on their "rightful" lounge on Serenity. I for one will continue to allow my non-disrupting SIL to join us on Serenity. (Assuming the chair hogs leave space open). I used to really enjoy CC boards but the more I read the more self-important whining babies seem to infest the boards. What a shame.

Well said and to the point. :)

Cheers!

I would think a 18 year old can safely be called an adult. I somehow think a young girl spending time with her mum should be encouraged.

As an Australian I still find it hard to come to grips with the 21 years old age drinking/adult thing. In aus you are allowed to drink/votes/ drive/gamble at 18 and would not be considered anything else but and adult.

I say dont worry about the negatives and just enjoy this time with your daughter as you will not have it agin.

I would certainly not be offendered by a 18 year old in the area. Now a crying baby or 10 year old that's another story.

I would think a 18 year old can safely be called an adult. I somehow think a young girl spending time with her mum should be encouraged.

As an Australian I still find it hard to come to grips with the 21 years old age drinking/adult thing. In aus you are allowed to drink/votes/ drive/gamble at 18 and would not be considered anything else but and adult.

I say dont worry about the negatives and just enjoy this time with your daughter as you will not have it agin.

I would certainly not be offendered by a 18 year old in the area. Now a crying baby or 10 year old that's another story.

What is going to be strange is when Carnival Spirit comes to Australia for a stint,on the way over from USA only 21 year olds and above will be classed as adult then as soon as the American cruisers get off same day Australians get on and 18 year olds become adults,it will be a nightmare for security in the bars and club who would be used to spotting under 21,s,now they will have to spot under 18,s

Den

I have been sitting here real quietly for several months enjoying the boards getting ready for my cruise. I have never got on my soap box about some of the dumb things people get into arguments about. That being said as I stand up on my box for a moment. I am Honorably Discharged from the United States Air Force, and society never had a problem with me being an adult at the age of 18 serving my country, putting my life on the line, but god forbid I want to sit in an area that was for adults 21 yrs of age. Guess I am not mature enough at the age of 18 to sit and relax, but I can fight and put my life on the line. There I said it. Now getting of my soap box.

I have been sitting here real quietly for several months enjoying the boards getting ready for my cruise. I have never got on my soap box about some of the dumb things people get into arguments about. That being said as I stand up on my box for a moment. I am Honorably Discharged from the United States Air Force, and society never had a problem with me being an adult at the age of 18 serving my country, putting my life on the line, but god forbid I want to sit in an area that was for adults 21 yrs of age. Guess I am not mature enough at the age of 18 to sit and relax, but I can fight and put my life on the line. There I said it. Now getting of my soap box.

Exactly... I would rather you be allowed to sit and enjoy Serenity- you earned it. Half these cry babies whining about such a stupid age restriction never lifted a finger (nor I) but Im allowed access simply by virtue of being 31. I think the concept of Serenity was to create an oasis free from screaming and splashing children. A place quiet and relaxing. Anyone who arrives for such a purpose should be welcome.

Exactly... I would rather you be allowed to sit and enjoy Serenity- you earned it. Half these cry babies whining about such a stupid age restriction never lifted a finger (nor I) but Im allowed access simply by virtue of being 31. I think the concept of Serenity was to create an oasis free from screaming and splashing children. A place quiet and relaxing. Anyone who arrives for such a purpose should be welcome.

I couldn't have said it any better. My thoughts as well.

We were just on Freedom in April. DD is 20 - will be 21 in July. She looks young - people would guess she is 16. We walked into Serenity and were immediately stopped by the worker at the desk. He said, "She's too young to be in here." I thought Serenity is 18 and up (and yes there is a sign right there that says 21, I did not see it) and I said, "She's 20." He said, "I'm sorry. It's 21 and up. If my supervisor comes around and if they check her card, I'll get in trouble."

Well, I'm certainly not trying to get someone in trouble, so we opted to sit on the upper deck just outside the Serenity area (on Freedom it's two decks). Had to sit in a regular lounger :eek: but we survived.

Following day and rest of week we sat in Serenity with no issues but we didn't enter past that desk either. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Wow. I keep seeing these threads that seem nice enough to start with, then turn nasty with the do-gooders (with H82seaUgo being a very regular "contributor". I joined here recently to take part, but based on the frequency of "regulars" trashing just about anything I'll skip it.

Incidentally, H82seaUgo, I don't think a lot of people would hate to see you go.

Seriously, CCers... I've been on a lot of forums in my day, and this one is near the top in terms of the a-hole quotient. Hoping this doesn't extend to the cruise.

irrelevant. they can't go.

of course. she's not 21.

A lot of people feel the rules are not meant for THEM but for everyone else. I don't mean to sound like a b-word but I get tired daily of people with that attitude..."Oh, I can park in the handicapped spot - they can't mean ME.."

Oh, I can park in the fire zone in this store full of people...that sign doesn't mean ME." "Why did my car get towed? That 'no parking' sign wasn't meant for ME!" I work in a crowded downtown area and live in a condo complex so I see it many times a day.

Our experience these past 2 weeks was that the Serenity wasn't very serene much of the time. If you are looking for peace and quiet, go elsewhere. Lots of laughing and talking with large groups of adults traveling together-- not a problem and we didn't mind, but it wasn't what I expected.

I agree. How would anyone know that the person sitting right there is the 18 year old off of cc.?? I also agree rules are there for a reason. But how would someone know she's not 21? I'm 28 and sometimes look younger if not dolled up. But this is my opinion and will prob get flamed for it. Like other have said some people live on these boards finding negative stuff to say. O well. To each their own. ;)

A few weeks ago, JH posted this question on his FB as he thought it was 18 until someone complained to him. I also pointed out that I was already in the military at the age of 20 and that the age should be reconsidered. The 18-20 yr old group don't have that much to do on the ship so if they wanted to sit on the serenity to get away from screaming kids, I think they should, after all, they paid the same fare as you and I.

OMG, RULE BREAKER!!! I suppose she'll claim 10 chairs and use oranges to secure them!!! She probably doesn't even dress up for dinner and orders 2 entree's...

Seriously, just don't have her SS card with her. No one will care either.

And I bet she takes auto tips off and smuggles in alcohol. At the least she will be taking up a chair that one of us old people need.:)

What is going to be strange is when Carnival Spirit comes to Australia for a stint,on the way over from USA only 21 year olds and above will be classed as adult then as soon as the American cruisers get off same day Australians get on and 18 year olds become adults,it will be a nightmare for security in the bars and club who would be used to spotting under 21,s,now they will have to spot under 18,s

Den

No, they have been looking for the under 18s in the dance club for a long time. No real age restrictions in other bars. Can't buy alcohol if you're under 21...your ship card won't even allow it. It should be a smooth transition.

Archived