Sunshine Class

With the new technolgy and efficiency, the cruise lines hopefully with these ships will have greater range in destinations and some routes can be changed for better options in itineraries regardless of the departing home port.

That makes sense, but we don't want to go too fast, it could be dangerous. I mean this ships already go 24-25 MPH right? How much faster can they go to make a real difference, 30 MPH? These ships are monsters, its hard to go faster than what they are, and what they are doing now is pretty fast.

Actually, the Voyager and Freedom Class ships have 2 Azipods and one fixed propulsion unit. The Azipods turn 360 degrees, but the fixed propulsion unit does not rotate. The Oasis class has three Azipods. You do make a very good point about the power of the newly ordered units.

Eric

Funnily enough the Freedom Class don't actually need all 3 pods. Independence of the Seas as far as I know has been running since June 2010 on just the two pods. Apparently the fixed pod was damaged and they removed the blades. I don't know whether they managed to fix it or not, but she can still make full cruising speed without it. I think the more powerful pods just means they can condense the power of three into 2 pods, since it will be a very similar amount of power, 41MW on Sunshine vs. 42MW on Freedom.

That makes sense, but we don't want to go too fast, it could be dangerous. I mean this ships already go 24-25 MPH right? How much faster can they go to make a real difference, 30 MPH? These ships are monsters, its hard to go faster than what they are, and what they are doing now is pretty fast.

Ever heard of the SS United States

I never heard of it but too fast also mean sucking down more fuel. Its a very delicate balance cruise lines need to strike between cruise length, fuel consumption/cost and safety. They are smart as hell about it too as far I read. They have it down to a science these cruise lines.

Archived