Sunshine Class

I havent heard much about this class other than, i think, this is the class of ships that will be totally enclosed for colder climates? Is that correct.

I cant imagine how many they would build and where the ports would be. I know other than Alaska i guess they would be good for winters.

I'd like to know more about this class.

Well I'm a broken record but I am hoping NJ gets the first one in 2014. I keep hearing its more enclosed for colder weather, so that is getting my hopes up for NJ. The rumor is building that NJ will get one. Anyway I can't wait for the design unveiling, or Artist renderings, hopefully by the end of the year we'll get something.

Well I'm a broken record but I am hoping NJ gets the first one in 2014. I keep hearing its more enclosed for colder weather, so that is getting my hopes up for NJ. The rumor is building that NJ will get one. Anyway I can't wait for the design unveiling, or Artist renderings, hopefully by the end of the year we'll get something.

Thats not a long drive from where I live. I keep reading things that Bayonne may not be an option much longer. Not sure if its a rumor or not.

Thats not a long drive from where I live. I keep reading things that Bayonne may not be an option much longer. Not sure if its a rumor or not.

Yeah that was an ugly rumor. It seems RCCL will be here in NJ a VERY long time. Explorer out of NJ is AWESOME. 40 minutes and I'm on a gorgeous ship on a great cruise line like RCCL.

They have ordered 2, one will be delivered in 2014, the other in 2015.

About the only real facts that we know (everything else is rumor or speculation).

I think one in NJ and the other in SF:D

Till the Jones act changes, SF is a poor choice. The only ship that does anything out of SF must do 10 day cruises so as to reach a foreign port (not to mention that the port facilities in SF aren't that great - and won't change as long as ships only occasionally visit).

It might make sense to have one in the Pacific that can do Alaska, coastal limited Mexico and/or Hawaii/New Zealand (like what Radiance does), but I suspect that they are more likely to put one in Northern Europe than somewhere in the Pacific.

I know that nobody knows much about the details but when people say "they're designed for cooler climates' what does that actually mean? Will the entire pool deck be enclosed?

Big Keith

It probably means they won't be like the Oasis class which have uncovered areas -Central Park and Boardwalk and maybe the solarium will be covered.

It probably means they won't be like the Oasis class which have uncovered areas -Central Park and Boardwalk and maybe the solarium will be covered.

Could they all be fitted onto a 160000 ton ship though?

The speculation on Explorer the last time I was on was that she will be replaced in New York harbor (i.e. Bayonne) by one of the Sunshine ships. However, they did not know for sure. It would also make sense to station one of the Sunshines in the UK where it has been know to rain occasionally.

Till the Jones act changes, SF is a poor choice. The only ship that does anything out of SF must do 10 day cruises so as to reach a foreign port (not to mention that the port facilities in SF aren't that great - and won't change as long as ships only occasionally visit).

It might make sense to have one in the Pacific that can do Alaska, coastal limited Mexico and/or Hawaii/New Zealand (like what Radiance does), but I suspect that they are more likely to put one in Northern Europe than somewhere in the Pacific.

Princess is putting one year round after the new terminal gets built.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4822

If it is profitable who knows

Princess is putting one year round after the new terminal gets built.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4822

If it is profitable who knows

They already run one in the summer months, adding Grand Princess either as the summer ship or as a permanent fixture may turn out to have the same results as Mariner did in L.A. (though the possible itineraries out of S.F. might be a bit better and make it worthwhile, but Hawaii or southbound cruises would still likely stop in Ensenada).

The speculation on Explorer the last time I was on was that she will be replaced in New York harbor (i.e. Bayonne) by one of the Sunshine ships. However, they did not know for sure. It would also make sense to station one of the Sunshines in the UK where it has been know to rain occasionally.

Rain, you must be mistaken:we are quoted as being in a DROUGHT :rolleyes:! Unbelievable, considering we have just had virtually two solid weeks of torrential rain and some areas have been flooded :eek:

Considering the fact that the Azipod, propulsion and electrical system contractor is touting fuel savings and speed capabilities of this order, it would not be a surprise to see one based in Bayonne. Considering the distances from Bayonne to the Caribbean, it would be a logical decision.

ABB says that its deliverables will maximize the ships fuel efficiency, speed and maneuverability while reducing emissions and providing reliable power to the ships. All of this will help Royal Caribbean meet its energy efficiency and environmental impact targets.

http://www.*****.com/project-sunshine

As for me, I am hoping that wishing it will make it so...but, I'll believe it when I am aboard myself.

Eric

Actually, the Voyager and Freedom Class ships have 2 Azipods and one fixed propulsion unit. The Azipods turn 360 degrees, but the fixed propulsion unit does not rotate. The Oasis class has three Azipods. You do make a very good point about the power of the newly ordered units.

Eric

Actually, the Voyager and Freedom Class ships have 2 Azipods and one fixed propulsion unit. The Azipods turn 360 degrees, but the fixed propulsion unit does not rotate. The Oasis class has three Azipods. You do make a very good point about the power of the newly ordered units.

Eric

And this is because Oasis has a much bigger butt. Sunshine, as a smaller ship, might also have only two.

And this is because Oasis has a much bigger butt. Sunshine, as a smaller ship, might also have only two.

That's a great way to put it! LOL

Hey, do these azipods make my butt look fat? :p

Eric

That's a great way to put it! LOL

Hey, do these azipods make my butt look fat? :p

Eric

As we are trained to say........... NO!:D

With the new technolgy and efficiency, the cruise lines hopefully with these ships will have greater range in destinations and some routes can be changed for better options in itineraries regardless of the departing home port.

Archived