Olive Oil Vineyard/Tasting b/t Florence & Livorno?

flipflops84

Hello everyone! We are going on a private tour while in port in Livorno. We will be seeing Florence, of course, but on the way back to port I was hoping to stop off at an olive oil farm/vineyard to taste and buy some fresh Tuscan olive oil.

Can any recommend a place to stop and do this? It would have to be somewhat on the way from Florence to Livorno (otherwise I don't think we'll have enough time to stop :(). I don't need a tour, but I would like to stop somewhere that makes its OWN olive oil and has a little shop or tasting area. Maybe even some benches so I can take in the views of the olive trees? :)

I'd REALLY appreciate any help! Thanks!

Have you asked your tour company for a recommendation? They're generally on top of this kind of thing.

What time of year will you be traveling? Oil is pressed and bottled in late fall each year, so if you are traveling late summer or early fall it's not the best time of year for oil, as you'll be getting the last year's harvest.

Hi! Thanks for the response. Our tour company isn't being very helpful- only wanted to "sell" me tours and stuff :( I don't really want a tour, just to find a cute little olive oil producer in the countryside so I can buy some things. We are traveling next week!

We took a tour with RomeinLimo.com and asked them for a day in Tuscany. Our driver/guide Laura took us to San Gimignano, lunched at a winery and on to Florence and, had us back at the ship at 5.

She took us to fabulous winery that also made olive oil. It was just outside of San Gimignano. Our tasting was in conjunction with lunch. We even bought some wine and oil and they shipped it home to us. http://www.torciano.com/USA/winery/

We were also in Florence a few years back and took a winery tour near a small village called Greve in Chianti. http://www.castelloilpalagio.it/main_e.html

We had a very nice tour and tasting and went into town for lunch. Lovely little Tuscan village. http://www.greve-in-chianti.com/

I think, if your tour company is not being helpful, perhaps you should change (if it is not too late). My dealings with RomeinLimo were fantastic. We corresponded by email and, together with their suggestions we made all sorts of arrangers and in the end, had a great itinerary and fantastic days at all the ports we used them for.

We have toured quite a few wineries in Italy, and never been charged for the tour/tastings. They do it in the hope that you will love the wine and buy some (which we do!) If we are going there for a special lunch, then there is normally a charge.

Archived