White Star Luggage 2012?

Leucothea

Has anyone here used the White Star Luggage service lately? I remember one used to be able to book their service on the ship, but I don't think you can now.

I'd just like luggage shipped from Southampton, my destination port. I suppose you have to arrange that in advance. I've only used it twice. The first time they lost my luggage! They did find it after a few days thankfully. The second time I had no choice because I was overloaded. But both occasions were several years ago.

Has anyone here used the White Star Luggage service lately? I remember one used to be able to book their service on the ship, but I don't think you can now.

I'd just like luggage shipped from Southampton, my destination port. I suppose you have to arrange that in advance. I've only used it twice. The first time they lost my luggage! They did find it after a few days thankfully. The second time I had no choice because I was overloaded. But both occasions were several years ago.

Hi Leucothea. Last July, a nice gentleman from the Washington DC area wrote a post about using White Star Luggage Service to transport his luggage to Red Hook for the NY r/t Canada cruise. Sorry, I cant find the post now, but he was very happy with the service. Wish I could be of more help, but that is all I recall reading about the luggage service. Regards, -S.

We are considering using the service to ship one bag back to the U.S. from Southampton, so called customer service. We are going on the May 29th TA from NY, arriving Southampton June 5. I was told I'd need to make the arrangement by May 14th. However, I'm not quite sure of the details of this, as we won't know the weight of the bag, and hence the charge, until we're packed. I thought it was very expensive, even for the lowest tier of prices, 1-30 pounds for a non-oversize bag would be $275 (USD). I think 31-50 pounds was $475. The customer service person said that charge depends on the port from which you are shipping and the destination. (I presume the charge would be similar if you reversed the direction, i.e., home to a port, but I didn't ask about that.)

Cunard uses DSL Express. I asked if there was a lower rate possible by shipping via ground (or ocean, in this case) rather than air, especially as we are traveling in Europe and won't be back for a number of weeks. They were adamant that we could only ship by air, and that if we weren't going to be there to receive the bag perhaps we could have it delivered to a neighbor.

If our bag is 30 pounds or less, we still may use the White Star service, but if it's heavier, we'll just haul it along to our first stopover point and ship it from there. I priced DHL from England and their rates are a lot less than what Cunard is charging. The Cunard customer service rep said their rates are higher because they take care of everything for you--customs forms, etc.

If you find out more, please post as I'd be interested.

Thanks very much Jean. I did check out the service you posted, and they indicate on their website that they use DHL. The advantage of this company is that they will pick up, which means presumably they could pick up from the B&B where we are staying; for the location where we'll be after disembarking, DHL has a drop-off service where we'd have to take the bag. We'll defintely consider it. Thanks a gain, and we hope to meet you in person on-board on the May 29th QM2 sailing.

Hi - yes, they do pick up from a B & B as I always stay in one when I go back to the UK. They use DHL, but for some reason they seem to be cheaper than DHL :rolleyes:. I have used them three times now, and haven't had a problem (touch wood :))

Yes, see you on the 29th sailing.

We are considering using the service to ship one bag back to the U.S. from Southampton, so called customer service. We are going on the May 29th TA from NY, arriving Southampton June 5. I was told I'd need to make the arrangement by May 14th. However, I'm not quite sure of the details of this, as we won't know the weight of the bag, and hence the charge, until we're packed. I thought it was very expensive, even for the lowest tier of prices, 1-30 pounds for a non-oversize bag would be $275 (USD). I think 31-50 pounds was $475. The customer service person said that charge depends on the port from which you are shipping and the destination. (I presume the charge would be similar if you reversed the direction, i.e., home to a port, but I didn't ask about that.)

Cunard uses DSL Express. I asked if there was a lower rate possible by shipping via ground (or ocean, in this case) rather than air, especially as we are traveling in Europe and won't be back for a number of weeks. They were adamant that we could only ship by air, and that if we weren't going to be there to receive the bag perhaps we could have it delivered to a neighbor.

If our bag is 30 pounds or less, we still may use the White Star service, but if it's heavier, we'll just haul it along to our first stopover point and ship it from there.I priced DHL from England and their rates are a lot less than what Cunard is charging. The Cunard customer service rep said their rates are higher because they take care of everything for you--customs forms, etc.

If you find out more, please post as I'd be interested.

I've used White Star twice, shipping to Southampton from the US, but not in 4 or 5 years. They do act as the customs agent, and the bag was delivered to our cabin. In looking at shipping prices recently, it seems that if your luggage crosses an international border and you need their services to get through customs it bumps the price up around $100.

When you priced DHL directly, did you find out what you'd have to do about customs to make this work for less money than the White Star service? Where did DSL say they would pick up your bag?

As I will be on the 24 day Aug 28th cruise, and being adament re following the dress code, it is very likely that I will have to "check in " two cases at the airport.

I had thought of using the White Star service but think it will be too "stressful"

I would need to pack at least 10 days before embarkation, fill out several forms listing EVERYTHING that is in the case (no bottle or liquids allowed), pay at least $100 and trust that it arrives at my cabin in time.

Returning I would have to make arrangements whilst on board, fill out the same kind of forms, COLLECT the case in the terminal and TAKE it to the truck, then wait at home for it hopefully to appear in one piece.

I therefore think I will take it with me to the airport, (using a hired car )

pay the $$ to check it kerbside, then in NY collect at the baggage area, have it loaded on to the transport to the hotel,next day have it loaded onto the tranpsort to the ship, and hand it over at the ship. At least this way I will know that it is at the ship.

As I will be on the 24 day Aug 28th cruise, and being adament re following the dress code, it is very likely that I will have to "check in " two cases at the airport.

I had thought of using the White Star service but think it will be too "stressful"

I would need to pack at least 10 days before embarkation, fill out several forms listing EVERYTHING that is in the case (no bottle or liquids allowed), pay at least $100 and trust that it arrives at my cabin in time.

Returning I would have to make arrangements whilst on board, fill out the same kind of forms, COLLECT the case in the terminal and TAKE it to the truck, then wait at home for it hopefully to appear in one piece.

I therefore think I will take it with me to the airport, (using a hired car )

pay the $$ to check it kerbside, then in NY collect at the baggage area, have it loaded on to the transport to the hotel,next day have it loaded onto the tranpsort to the ship, and hand it over at the ship. At least this way I will know that it is at the ship.

I agree that it's cheaper to pay the luggage fee on the plane than to pay for the shipping service. We've used it when we were traveling before a cruise and knew we'd have no need for our formal clothing until we got to the ship. Shipping a bag meant we could rent a smaller/cheaper car.

I didn't find it at all stressful. DSL provides a tracking number, so you can see where your luggage is if you have access to a computer. All of the White Star people I spoke to were very helpful.

I didn't mind packing early. I got my formal wear decisions out of the way and had more time to focus on various other last-minute tasks. I didn't think the paperwork was all that onerous. Customs requires it, so DHL has to comply.

When I priced DSL directly, I did it with the option of dropping the bag ourselves at one of their contracted drop-off sites, which I believe is a Staples store. They apparently include boxing as part of that cost, and have the customs forms there that for you to fill out. It may be more expensive to have a pick up at your home or other location than a drop-off point. We'll be taking the train over to Penzance after disembarking in Southampton, and the connection is tight so we figured we'd ship the bag from Penzance if we don't do the White Star service. Besides the one larger bag with our "dress-up" clothing, we'll each have a smaller rolling bag (21-22" size). We can easily handle all 3 bags, but will be traveling for 3 weeks in England, Netherlands and France, taking trains and other public transport, so didn't want to have the hassle of hauling around the 3rd bag with clothing we wouldn't be needing.

Hi Leucothea,

We were on QE 2012 world cruise. We used White Star to ship three luggage from Southampton to Los Angeles area. The daily program will tell you when you will need to sign up for it. It was painless, but it was very expensive.

Two days before we disembarked in Southhampton, Cunard changed our flight home from Virgin Air to British Air. Virgin Air allowed international travelers 2 bags each. British Air aqllowed only 1 bag each. We had to pay for an extra bag each at a cost of $65.00 per bag. Perhaps you should check with your airline to see you much it would cost you for an extra bag.

Marie

Thanks for your feedback.

I was interested in shipping luggage from my destination city, Southampton, but taking it with me first on the ship. I wonder if I can still book that on board. It's easy for me to get my luggage on the ship, as I'm in New York, but getting it from Southampton to London might be tricky if I decide on a detour to the countryside beforehand. I won't want to lug it all around with me, especially if I take the train.

It's funny how travel is so much fun, yet can be a lot of hard work. "Nice work if you can get it" I guess.:)

When I priced DSL directly, I did it with the option of dropping the bag ourselves at one of their contracted drop-off sites, which I believe is a Staples store. They apparently include boxing as part of that cost, and have the customs forms there that for you to fill out. It may be more expensive to have a pick up at your home or other location than a drop-off point. We'll be taking the train over to Penzance after disembarking in Southampton, and the connection is tight so we figured we'd ship the bag from Penzance if we don't do the White Star service. Besides the one larger bag with our "dress-up" clothing, we'll each have a smaller rolling bag (21-22" size). We can easily handle all 3 bags, but will be traveling for 3 weeks in England, Netherlands and France, taking trains and other public transport, so didn't want to have the hassle of hauling around the 3rd bag with clothing we wouldn't be needing.

What a wonderful trip, I hope that everything goes off beautifully,

Best wishes

Lynn

• 5 months later...

I have used it today for my cruise departing at the end of the month. It is very easy to use and book. There is a lot of paperwork when shipping the baggage internationally due to customs however, it is still a pleasure to use. You should have no problem they are very efficiently run. There is no boxing required they just take the suitcase. Just remember you are not allowed to lock the baggage due to insurance and customs regulations.

I have used it today for my cruise departing at the end of the month. It is very easy to use and book. There is a lot of paperwork when shipping the baggage internationally due to customs however, it is still a pleasure to use. You should have no problem they are very efficiently run. There is no boxing required they just take the suitcase. Just remember you are not allowed to lock the baggage due to insurance and customs regulations.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

At those sort of prices it would be better to dump the lot and buy new when you get home lol.

There is a storage firm quite near to the port and that could be a solution for those travelling in UK before returning home.

Don't think I am allowed to name them here but a search will bring them up easy.

David.

I have used them and have always been impressed by the service. Cannot believe how quickly any luggage that we have given White Star service arrives at our home. Of course it's not cheap, air freight and fuel are expensive, but to me it's the solution to cruising where you have to involve flights.

I have always pre-booked prior to the cruise and never had a problem. Anybody who uses the service and has a problem completing the legal document - the airway bill - should ask for the assistance of the White Star member of staff at the Customer Services desk and the rest is easy.

Good cruising........................

Archived