Cruise and Maritime- whats the story?

allexcited

Hi All

Just back from the Epic and mooching for the next cruise fix until the Breakaway, I came across a nice little cruise from my home town on Cruise and Maritime's Ocean Princess.

I dont know anything about this company however looking at the internet would I be right in thinking it caters for the older market?

Grateful for any info from those who have sailed her, what the age demographic is, how old is the ship and are the fixtures and fittings modern.

It sounds like a small more traditional type of ship which appeals to my friend and I so any info would be much appreciated.:)

Thanks in advance

Sorry that should have been Ocean Countess:o

Here is the ship http://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/index.php?page=24 fleetmate to Marco Polo.

Definitely a more traditional ship, started life with Cunard. History

I noticed a more mixed age group on my last cruises on Marco Polo but cannot comment on Ocean Countess.

My friends went on her from Liverpool when she first started- 2 years ago?

They've been on RCI before, and usually go on Ventura. They were perfectly happy with OC, if they remembered that she was a 3* cruise for a reasonable price- it was the itinerary which suited, and the Liverpool start, rather than the ship itself. I know they found her clean and well serviced- in fact, nothing wrong, but they prefer the big ships. I'd go on her for a good itinerary.

Jo.

Thanks to all for the info, I was a bit worried the age group may not be for us but Ive read a few reviews and it seems fine.

As has been said, its a much smaller ship so we are going from 4,400 odd to 800 passengers so we may find it a slightly different experience. For the price (and the fact I can walk on it straight out of my office on the day!) and itinery its worth a go. Now I just need to convince my friend!

The cruise terminal at Liverpool is now under construction and as I pass it and see the changes I cant wait for the day its finished and hopefully then more shipping lines will start cruising from here!:)

We cruised out of Liverpool on Ocean Countess last year, it was a very enjoyable cruise and she is a nice little ship, we felt she was better than the Marco Polo which we cruised the year before. It is difficult to say what the age group will be as it can vary from cruise to cruise. The ship is old but was refurbished by C&M. I thought their cruises were good value for money, I wouldn't want to be on either for more than a week as the size of the ship limits the facilities, however the ports of call will be the same regardless of the ship. Give her a try, don't worry about the old folk, they can be more fun than a lot of younger people, personally I am hoping to be one one day:D

Thanks Yorkshirephil, sadly Im now unable to go due to work commitments and what is worse I will be sitting watching it pull away outside my window as Im beavering away! :(

Oh well will just have to get my planning hat on for next year!:D

First Ocean Countess cruise from the new Liverpool terminal is supposed to depart on 29th May

However uncertain whether Liverpool Council have got Govt permission to use the new facility

Any one know if the ship is going from the new terminal or the less salubrious Gladstone Dock shed?

My daughter (late 30s) has never cruised before and has seen a 3 nights Christmas Market Cruise in December (obviously!!) for a really silly price. Based on what has been said here, would it be a good taster or is December on the North Sea not the best introduction. How stable is the ship. I've experienced some pretty unpleasant weather on big ships, but wonder how smaller ones cope.

My daughter (late 30s) has never cruised before and has seen a 3 nights Christmas Market Cruise in December (obviously!!) for a really silly price. Based on what has been said here, would it be a good taster or is December on the North Sea not the best introduction. How stable is the ship. I've experienced some pretty unpleasant weather on big ships, but wonder how smaller ones cope.

Personally I would say that December on the north sea would possibly not be the best introduction, however you never know, it could be really calm. Some of the smaller ships do handle the seas fairly well, in fact better than the larger ships but there is a limit. Someone once explained to me how the ships keel shape can affect the movement of the ship, the wave pitch and height and a host of other technicalities. It also depends on how your daughter takes to the sea and how good a traveller she is.

Personally I would say that December on the north sea would possibly not be the best introduction, however you never know, it could be really calm. Some of the smaller ships do handle the seas fairly well, in fact better than the larger ships but there is a limit. Someone once explained to me how the ships keel shape can affect the movement of the ship, the wave pitch and height and a host of other technicalities. It also depends on how your daughter takes to the sea and how good a traveller she is.

Thanks for the reply.

I think I read somewhere that the Marco Polo used to be an ice-breaker (!). If this is true, would that mean she is likely to be more stable in bad weather?

Thanks for the reply.

I think I read somewhere that the Marco Polo used to be an ice-breaker (!). If this is true, would that mean she is likely to be more stable in bad weather?

Yes, the Marco Polo is a real ocean liner, one of the very few left, and was originally the Aleksandr Pushkin, and has an ice-strengthened hull.

Jo.

First Ocean Countess cruise from the new Liverpool terminal is supposed to depart on 29th May

However uncertain whether Liverpool Council have got Govt permission to use the new facility

Any one know if the ship is going from the new terminal or the less salubrious Gladstone Dock shed?

The new (temporary) facility was allmost completed when I last saw it just over a week ago with just the surfacing of the coach parking area to be completed, I fully expect the facility to be completed in time.

At last an alternative to Southampton:)

The new (temporary) facility was allmost completed when I last saw it just over a week ago with just the surfacing of the coach parking area to be completed, I fully expect the facility to be completed in time.

At last an alternative to Southampton:)

Shame after the huff and puff about wanting a terminal, people are not booking the cruises

C&M are having to give away thier first one 8 nights Fjords £299.

and the one downd the Atlantic coast £399 for 12night.

Shame after the huff and puff about wanting a terminal, people are not booking the cruises

C&M are having to give away thier first one 8 nights Fjords £299.

and the one downd the Atlantic coast £399 for 12night.

This is typical pricing by C&M, those prices apply to most of their cruises if you can wait until close to sailing date. Once the larger lines start cruising from Liverpool we will get a clearer picture.

Archived