Sea princess--- are dining rooms open for lunch on embarkation day?

Gay Cruiser

SEA PRINCESS--- Aug 21 to 31, 2012 10 Day RT Alaska from San Francisco

I have been on Princess for 6 cruises, last Princess sailing was Alaska Direct to Denali cruise/tour in 2009.

I know Princess allows guests to go to their cabins upon embarkation to drop off hand luggage and freshen up.

Is everyone encouraged to use Horizon Court for lunch or is a Dining Room open? I thought I read long while back about this topic, but have not seen a question about it lately....

Thanks for your input!

Usually they try to get you to go to the Buffet.Go to the dining room. They may tell you it is for back to back passengers only. You can do one of two things.

1. Tell them you got an email from Princess stating it would be open. I Usually print that and carry it. never had to use it.

2. If they ask, tell them you are in transit (back to back). They will not check and will let you in. Usually there are few people there unless they are doing a Bon Voyage experience. It is well worth it and a great way to start you cruise but you need to be strong and agressive and don't let them talk you out of going in.

The Beef on Embarcation days is great and you won't see it again.

Ok, I did a simple search on Princess own web site, and I found this! I am copying for my August 21 st Alaska Cruise. Thanks to all who replied!

1st Day Dining

Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Open from 5 am to 11 pm (12 am on select itineraries), the Horizon Court offers a wide selection of buffet meals or snacks. A primary feature of Princess ships, the top-of-the-ship restaurant features floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning sea views as a backdrop.

Or join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff -- from chefs to waiters -- dedicated to making your dining experience something special.

Together, Princess' unique combination of gracious dining staff, fine continental cuisine and new friends make every meal onboard a memorable occasion.

Well unless something has changed since we last cruised on the Sea Princess to Alaska a couple of summers ago, I would say the answer is yes. The dining room was open on embarkation from Noon - 1:30 p.m. and we enjoyed eating lunch there. There were a couple of groups enjoying the Bon Voyage experience as well.

In February, we had boarded the Sea Princess, and immediately went to the MDR for lunch. No one was there but waiters, etc. We walked in and asked where we should sit. The head waiter said, "Oh, you should go upstairs to deck 10. There's a beautiful buffet up there." We said that we would rather eat in the dining room, so they showed us to a table.

We've tried the buffet on embarkation day, and don't plan to do it again. It's usually a madhouse.

Never had a problem going into the DR on embarc.day. Just ate there again in April on the Star. If you ask any of the help if it's open they will say NO. Just walk in and they will seat you,

Another thing to take into consideration is the staggered embarkation if that is taking place. We were scheduled to embark at 4:00 on our recent Sea Princess trip making it impossible to have lunch in the dining room, first passengers were scheduled at 2:30.

Had friends on board Sea Princess for the Bon Voyage Experience the last time we sailed her - lunch in the dining room was available for passengers and when we were there, it was pretty busy.

Archived