Best Private Island?

GAGirlinVA

DH and I are intrigued by the thought of going to a private island. He likes the idea of renting a cabana... and just relaxing!

So this begs the question.. in YOUR opinion, what is the best private island and why?

Yeah, the "problem" with the "best" threads is that most people can only give their opinion of one or two options, since most people, once they find something they like, aren't so willing to risk a lesser experience, so they'll repeat the good thing rather than spend their hard-earned money only to discover that the other option wasn't nearly so good.

Of course, if you sail multiple lines, you may have been able to experience multiple private islands.

Most people, though, tend to stick to one family of cruiselines because of loyalty perks.

I've only been to Half Moon Cay. I'm not even a beach person, but I absolutely fell in love with it. Normally, I try to get a new port each time I cruise, but I've done the same Bahamas cruise a couple of times, just to get the chance to return there.

I've even booked a B2B in November just because the 1st leg stops there. Trust me, it wasn't so I could go to Nassau and Freeport twice in 9 days!

But certainly, if the price was right, I would cruise other lines for the chance to visit their private islands, too. I'd like to see them all!

We have been to HMC, Labadee, CocoCay, Great Stirrup Cay and also to Castaway Cay. I have to say that to me, Castaway Cay has it hands down. One, because they have a dock and it is done REALLY well, but if Disney is not your thing, this will not be the place for you. I would say HMC is second with Cococay being third. I enjoyed Great Stirrup Cay but we went there one time and there wasn't enough lounge chairs for everyone so when we got off the tender, people were literally sprinting down the beach to get chairs...

We have been to HMC, Labadee, CocoCay, Great Stirrup Cay and also to Castaway Cay. I have to say that to me, Castaway Cay has it hands down. One, because they have a dock and it is done REALLY well,

A dock is the last thing I would want to see at any private island. All that natural beauty destroyed by concrete and steel.

Archived