Service dog for sleep apnea

luckybecky

OK, you're right. I jumped to offense too quickly, assuming the poster was saying that blind people shouldn't cruise rather than reading it as asking why would they want to. I was wrong and I am sorry.

If you truely don't understand what about a cruise a blind person might enjoy, I (kindly) suggest that the next time you're on a cruise, go out on the deck and close your eyes and just focus on listening, smelling and just feeling the sensations and ask yourself what sensations are enjoyable without vision. You'll find your answer :) you don't require vision to enjoy life.

It is all good and I do think we both are on the same page in regards to why a blind person would cruise. There is nothing that compares to the smell of the ocean or the trade winds blowing through your hair.

My Service Dog has been on 15 cruises [she has since retired and my new dog has only been on one this past March, with one coming-up in October.] My retired dog [brenda] has been on every major market cruiseline and has more friends from every voyage than I'll ever know.

To answer some of your good questions. The ship will provide a 4x5 wooden box [this may requre some pre-training sessions with your dog], it's lined with heavy duty plastic and filled with mulch. The ship will provide everything. I always recommend bringing your own potty bags and pick up the waste after each use [they will provide a receptical.] The box could be placed on an outside deck/in a crew working area or in a stairwell which is my preferred place because it's away from the public.

You may be allergic to my dog, I will do everything I can to keep him away from you. He doesn't bark/ bite/lick/sniff or scratch in public and is a complete gentleman. He has saved my life on many occasions and is truly my hero. You may be missing your own furbaby [the crew always is] and I invite you to pat/lay/play or just plain enjoy my miracle-worker if you choose to.

ANYONE who feeds their Service Dog in the dining room [we, who walk with SD's know NEVER to do this] or allows it to bark where it's disturbing others should be told to put the dog in a crate and pitch them off the ship at the next port. I can't tolerate folks who abuse the system and DON'T do the right thing. Service Dogs should be invisible and to train one to "bark" incessantly to "alert" somone is not only unecessary but is also down-right rude!!!!!!

I have a thread on "Disabled Cruising" on Cruise Critic ~ "Cruising with a Service Dog", which will answer all your good questions. Come on over and join us and thank you for caring.

Thank you for sharing!

I do have to ask about your comment " pat/lay/play or just plain enjoy my miracle-worker if you choose to". Is this a common feeling with people with service dogs? We are both dog lovers and have two of our own that are like kids to us, but we've heard that it is not appropriate to pet or even interact with a service dog. If even seen writing on the service dog's vest that says something like "please do not pet me".

Thank you for sharing!

I do have to ask about your comment " pat/lay/play or just plain enjoy my miracle-worker if you choose to". Is this a common feeling with people with service dogs? We are both dog lovers and have two of our own that are like kids to us, but we've heard that it is not appropriate to pet or even interact with a service dog. If even seen writing on the service dog's vest that says something like "please do not pet me".

While my dog is working I prefer that the public not touch/talk or have eye contact with him. When we're sitting in a lounge and anyone can obviously see that we're "resting!" I encourage people to come over and "ask" if they may pat my dog. I prefer the public enjoy and consider my dog a passenger and be social and interact with him and me, rather than treating us as a "curiosity!"

While we're walking and I'm standing with my dog - he's working and, you are correct; a distracting touch, or getting his attention by waving or making noises or consistantly looking into his eyes will definitely distract him from his task-at-hand.

Service Dogs are VERY SOCIAL beings, they need to be to go where they need to go with us in all public venues.

I love people and I love interacting with them......before Brenda and now Horton came into my life, I would shy away from the public and preferred the safety of my job and home [not a very interesting life.]

My dog partner has given me the courage and fortitude to face the day and to not be afraid......he will work and partner me through anything and everything; he will love and cherish me without reservation; he doesn't care what I look or sound like and just how pretty my clothes and shoes are. He doesn't judge or ridicule me.....he loves me unconditionally! And, I love him MORE!!!!!!

So, if you see us onboard a cruise please come over and say hello, even if you don't care for dogs, I promise you'll soon be charmed by my dogs behavior.

While my dog is working I prefer that the public not touch/talk or have eye contact with him. When we're sitting in a lounge and anyone can obviously see that we're "resting!" I encourage people to come over and "ask" if they may pat my dog. I prefer the public enjoy and consider my dog a passenger and be social and interact with him and me, rather than treating us as a "curiosity!"

While we're walking and I'm standing with my dog - he's working and, you are correct; a distracting touch, or getting his attention by waving or making noises or consistantly looking into his eyes will definitely distract him from his task-at-hand.

Service Dogs are VERY SOCIAL beings, they need to be to go where they need to go with us in all public venues.

I love people and I love interacting with them......before Brenda and now Horton came into my life, I would shy away from the public and preferred the safety of my job and home [not a very interesting life.]

My dog partner has given me the courage and fortitude to face the day and to not be afraid......he will work and partner me through anything and everything; he will love and cherish me without reservation; he doesn't care what I look or sound like and just how pretty my clothes and shoes are. He doesn't judge or ridicule me.....he loves me unconditionally! And, I love him MORE!!!!!!

So, if you see us onboard a cruise please come over and say hello, even if you don't care for dogs, I promise you'll soon be charmed by my dogs behavior.

That makes so much sense. Thank you for clarifying.

So Roz what do you think of the "Pets in Condos" group here in South Florida who are busy "certifying" any lap dog for "emotional" reasons?

I put the links up

thanks

I can't comment on everyone but the fact is that dogs can stabilize the most irrational, uncooperative and angry human behavior. Whether it be a senior or a child. If you own a dog you too will attest to the fact that if you put a joyous/loving dog in the lap of an angry senior soon the senior will become calm and start stroking the little critter. Certainly a calm person is more open to accepting visitors and will become more gentle and understanding in the long run. I've been witness to what a dog can bring to an abused and love starved child.......it's a miracle.

Are people using the "Emotional Support" dog to bring their pets into the community, maybe! But, they still have to abide by the CC&R's of the community, thereby living by the standards that they set-up.

In other words, these people who may abuse the system still have to live-up to a higher standard and can't just hoard pets.

I would rather see a community of law-abiding pet lovers [who might be fudging the rules a bit], than angry/miss-guided dog haters, who poison and abuse dogs for sport [this is also in the news.]

Let me try to Clarify why she would want to dring the dog to the dinning room.

I suffer from PTSD from my tours in Iraq. I have a service dog that helps me with my issues with crowds along with other things like helping me remember to take medication along with numerous other things.

But when I received Murphy my service dog the biggest thing I was told was she was to go every where I went to keep them focused on the job that they are trained to do. It is also very important that I am the only one that handles Murphy. So even though the lady will not be sleeping in the MDR it is very important that where ever she goes so does the dog to keep the dog on task.

I suffer from PTSD from my tours in Iraq. I have a service dog that helps me with my issues with crowds along with other things like helping me remember to take medication along with numerous other things.

But when I received Murphy my service dog the biggest thing I was told was she was to go every where I went to keep them focused on the job that they are trained to do. It is also very important that I am the only one that handles Murphy. So even though the lady will not be sleeping in the MDR it is very important that where ever she goes so does the dog to keep the dog on task.

Assuming of course that what we are discussing is a legitimate service animal.

Poor doggy, when do they get to sleep?

They have to take cat naps:cool:.

So we don't confuse folks. There are all types of Working Dogs.

• Seeing Eye Dog [obvious]
  • Hearing Dog [not so obvious]
  • Service Dog - Assist adults with physical disabilities by performing daily tasks-Medical Alert-Seizure Alert
  • Skilled Companion Dogs - enhance independence for adults with cognitive disabilities
  • Psychiatric Service Dog [not so obvious]

Our wounded Veterans are seeking out the services of a dog through the Wounded Veterans Initiative programs started by CCI and is being utilized by other dog training organizations. All of the above dogs have PUBLIC ACCESS - Where YOU go so can these dogs.

The Emotional Support and Facility Dogs DO NOT have public access, except in the facility they are visiting.

NO DOG SHOULD BE FED IN A PUBLIC RESTAURANT and that means in the buffet onboard a ship.

Wow, I am very sad after reading this thread. I guess, whose business is it that someone needs a service dog for WHAT ever reason. Who are we to judge?? :confused: I try never to guess what someone may need. SAD :(

Wow, I am very sad after reading this thread. I guess, whose business is it that someone needs a service dog for WHAT ever reason. Who are we to judge?? :confused: I try never to guess what someone may need. SAD :(

Lola, don't be sad. Be happy for the folks who are lucky to have a beautiful and amazing canine hero in their lives. I'm one of them and I'm proud of it.

When you see someone walking or wheeling with a Working Dog, smile and enjoy watching the "dance" that they do together as a team....it's remarkable; it's purity of heart and soul.

Thanks for reading and opening-up yourselves to listen.

I can't comment on everyone but the fact is that dogs can stabilize the most irrational, uncooperative and angry human behavior. Whether it be a senior or a child. If you own a dog you too will attest to the fact that if you put a joyous/loving dog in the lap of an angry senior soon the senior will become calm and start stroking the little critter. Certainly a calm person is more open to accepting visitors and will become more gentle and understanding in the long run. I've been witness to what a dog can bring to an abused and love starved child.......it's a miracle.

Are people using the "Emotional Support" dog to bring their pets into the community, maybe! But, they still have to abide by the CC&R's of the community, thereby living by the standards that they set-up.

In other words, these people who may abuse the system still have to live-up to a higher standard and can't just hoard pets.

I would rather see a community of law-abiding pet lovers [who might be fudging the rules a bit], than angry/miss-guided dog haters, who poison and abuse dogs for sport [this is also in the news.]

Ummm...I think you missed the point

I do love dogs, we had 2 maltese for many years...but our association has banned dogs (old ones were grandfathered in)

but we have dog lovers who get them in here...they have no disability

many many people in South Florida go to the same few docs who "certify"

I know a woman who keeps a Maltese in a bag

A lady where I live, very overweight scoots around dragging her Bichon as she scoots with a cigarette in her mouth. When the dog was first certified

it wore a little vest sometimes but "she doesn't like it" we heard

so she doesn't wear it. But sometimes the dog is dressed in dresses..apparently likes polka dots

What if all these people start takin these critters on ships?? They are widows or lonely but they are not really disabled. The overweight woman does walk...from car to grocery store with the dog, plops it in a scooter car and away she goes.

Should they all be on board A SHIP IS THE QUESTION??

As for people who said that it would be too much effort to get the dog on board...these are people with time on their hands. The Pets in Condo peeps mostly live close to several ports...so no worry about flying with the dog. They can just drive down with the dog and her outfits and board the ship, save cost of boarding.

(PS...I RATHER RESENT YOUR IMPLICATION THAT I DON'T LIKE DOGS....AND YOUR IMPLICATION THAT PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ALL SUPPORTIVE OF THIS GROUP WOULD POISON DOGS IS JUST OVER THE TOP...

i DO LIKE DOGS ...MAYBE I SHOULD GET ONE AS EMOTIONAL SUPPORT AND BRING IT ON BOARD?? )

I heard on the news that a young boy just got a service Dog ( a lab) for diabetes ..
My friends son has a diabetes service dog. A Bernese of all things! They choose this breed because the boy is an athlete and the Bernese had the longest range for scent training. When the kid is playing football the dog ranges the sidelines. If the boy's bloodsugar shifts and he gives off ketones the dog goes to the coach and alerts. In the class room the dog alerts his master, and if he doesn't get a response he goes to the teachers.

Statistically young boys and teens are the most at risk class of type 1 diabetics due to poor self care, mainly because other developmental issues usurp the common sense that would usually prevent incidences from devolving into medical crises. You think it's hard to get a 13 year old to change his boxers? try to get him to check his blood sugar... 8 -O

This big fuzz ball has (literally) been a lifesaver and rescued the relationship between the mom and son. They got him when the son was a freshman in high school and he is in college now, and the pooch went with him and is living in a dorm!

But I cannot IMAGINE him fitting into an inside stateroom!! That would make a small breed like a Maltese pretty handy!

Labs are being bred for this specifically. My friend is working with breeders on this. I think the hope is the NEXT dog won't need to be so big!

So we don't confuse folks. There are all types of Working Dogs.

• Seeing Eye Dog [obvious]
  • Hearing Dog [not so obvious]
  • Service Dog - Assist adults with physical disabilities by performing daily tasks-Medical Alert-Seizure Alert
  • Skilled Companion Dogs - enhance independence for adults with cognitive disabilities
  • Psychiatric Service Dog [not so obvious]

Our wounded Veterans are seeking out the services of a dog through the Wounded Veterans Initiative programs started by CCI and is being utilized by other dog training organizations. All of the above dogs have PUBLIC ACCESS - Where YOU go so can these dogs.

The Emotional Support and Facility Dogs DO NOT have public access, except in the facility they are visiting.

NO DOG SHOULD BE FED IN A PUBLIC RESTAURANT and that means in the buffet onboard a ship.

>>??? Here in Broward County the "emotional" dogs are in stores, restaurants, anywhere. The group Pets in Condos assists people to get their dogs certified. I happen to KNOW people who have done this.

Like...they are downsizing to a condo that does not allow dogs, they go to a "referred" doctor and Buddy is now an emotional support dog.

A widow wants to move to Florida form Long Island, finds a condo she likes but no dogs....FiFi is now an "emotional support" dog.

Edited by sharecruises

My friends son has a diabetes service dog. A Bernese of all things! They choose this breed because the boy is an athlete and the Bernese had the longest range for scent training. When the kid is playing football the dog ranges the sidelines. If the boy's bloodsugar shifts and he gives off ketones the dog goes to the coach and alerts. In the class room the dog alerts his master, and if he doesn't get a response he goes to the teachers.

Statistically young boys and teens are the most at risk class of type 1 diabetics due to poor self care, mainly because other developmental issues usurp the common sense that would usually prevent incidences from devolving into medical crises. You think it's hard to get a 13 year old to change his boxers? try to get him to check his blood sugar... 8 -O

This big fuzz ball has (literally) been a lifesaver and rescued the relationship between the mom and son. They got him when the son was a freshman in high school and he is in college now, and the pooch went with him and is living in a dorm!

But I cannot IMAGINE him fitting into an inside stateroom!! That would make a small breed like a Maltese pretty handy!

Labs are being bred for this specifically. My friend is working with breeders on this. I think the hope is the NEXT dog won't need to be so big!

Thank you for sharing. It's amazing to watch an 80lb Lab roll-up [pill bug style] to lay under a table or at my feet on an airplane.

Thank you for sharing. It's amazing to watch an 80lb Lab roll-up [pill bug style] to lay under a table or at my feet on an airplane.

Heh. This 120lb mutt doesn't "curl up" anywhere... He SPRRRRRAWLSSSSS

; -)

>>??? Here in Broward County the "emotional" dogs are in stores, restaurants, anywhere. The group Pets in Condos assists people to get their dogs certified. I happen to KNOW people who have done this.

Like...they are downsizing to a condo that does not allow dogs, they go to a "referred" doctor and Buddy is now an emotional support dog.

A widow wants to move to Florida form Long Island, finds a condo she likes but no dogs....FiFi is now an "emotional support" dog.

"Emotional Support" dogs do NOT have public access and can not board a ship.

I have no qualms about confronting bad behavior or asking good questions about any dog that's onboard. The only inappropriate question would be, "what's wrong with you?" Would you ask it? Immigration and the TSA have the right to ask, "what task does your dog perform and may even ask to observe it doing a task."

It's not easy to get through all the paperwork that is needed by the person accompanying the dog. Not to mention the inspections by Immigration and the TSA. It's a lot of work to walk or wheel through life with a dog.

The ship can ask the passenger to leave the ship if the dog is acting badly.

Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz viewpost.gif

My Service Dog has been on 15 cruises [she has since retired and my new dog has only been on one this past March, with one coming-up in October.] My retired dog [brenda] has been on every major market cruiseline and has more friends from every voyage than I'll ever know.

To answer some of your good questions. The ship will provide a 4x5 wooden box [this may requre some pre-training sessions with your dog], it's lined with heavy duty plastic and filled with mulch. The ship will provide everything. I always recommend bringing your own potty bags and pick up the waste after each use [they will provide a receptical.] The box could be placed on an outside deck/in a crew working area or in a stairwell which is my preferred place because it's away from the public.

You may be allergic to my dog, I will do everything I can to keep him away from you. He doesn't bark/ bite/lick/sniff or scratch in public and is a complete gentleman. He has saved my life on many occasions and is truly my hero. You may be missing your own furbaby [the crew always is] and I invite you to pat/lay/play or just plain enjoy my miracle-worker if you choose to.

ANYONE who feeds their Service Dog in the dining room [we, who walk with SD's know NEVER to do this] or allows it to bark where it's disturbing others should be told to put the dog in a crate and pitch them off the ship at the next port. I can't tolerate folks who abuse the system and DON'T do the right thing. Service Dogs should be invisible and to train one to "bark" incessantly to "alert" somone is not only unecessary but is also down-right rude!!!!!!

I have a thread on "Disabled Cruising" on Cruise Critic ~ "Cruising with a Service Dog", which will answer all your good questions. Come on over and join us and thank you for caring.

Thank you Wizard-of-OZ for this much needed insight. A co-worker of mine has helped train puppies/dogs for the blind for years. At some point she'll even bring the dog into the office all day, and as was noted here, these dogs are truly trained to be SERVICE dogs. They are quiet, well-behaved and you would hardly know they are even around. It's amazing how well TRAINED they are. These true SDs are true heroes. The problem lies with people who get their family PETS "certified" and get doctors to write them notes and abuse the system. I've heard stories from my co-worker where "pets" posing as SD's do indeed cause problems by snipping at SDs in restaurants, barking constantly, and the biggie and the red flag that these dogs are just pets... is when they are allowed by their owners to do things no true Service Dog would ever be seen doing (such as being held up at a buffet to lick anything, etc.). Shame, Shame, Shame on these people. Shame. I'm sure they convince themselves they aren't hurting anyone, but the day a blind person finds it difficult to take their own SDs to a restaurant..or on a cruise.. because of the bad behavior of someone's pet, it's a sad, sad day!! If anyone I knew ever pulled this type of fake behavior, friend or family, they would hear the same thing from me... Shame, Shame, Shame. But then those are probably the same people who would park in a handicap parking..with no handicap but a "borrowed" plackard. Regardless, as Wizard-of-Oz has noted, his SD is well behaved, well trained.. and you can spot those amazing animals in a split second. Bravo for those dogs and their trainers, and bravo for owner's like Wizard-of-Oz. Your comments were spot on.

OK, had to chime in. I have severe asthma and obstructive sleep apnea. My DH has apnea and so does my father. My mother just snores real loud (warning: we have rooms next to each other on our fall cruise so if you walk by our rooms and hear low humming and one person sounding like they are a bulldog with the sniffles, don't be alarmed) We (those of us with apnea) use the Bi-PAP. My DH lieks the mask and my DH and I prefer the nose pillows. I couldn't get used to the mask and I sleep on my side. Anyway, I guess I could see needing a service animal for it BUT, I would think if you don't want to leave your service animal alone in the room and the animal can not sit on the floor and 'work' like a service animal is supposed to, you should arrange with Carnival to see if your meals can be served in your stateroom.

I would also think if this is just an excuse to get your dog to take a vacation with you, you should reconsider if you truly love your pet. Imagine how that poor animal will feel in rough seas. There are people everywhere, loud noises, small children, constant movement...and what will you do in port? Do all foreign countries feel the same as the USA about service animals? Will the dog be made to stay onboard? Will you have a balcony room? I would be scared to death my dog would go overboard. If the dog is truly just a pet and not a service animal, be kind and let him stay at home with a pet sitter coming in to feed/walk him.

If any of you notice a dog behaving badly in the public venue please approach them and tell them that you know they are NOT a certified working team and tell them how shamless they are and that they're ruining it for the legitimate working teams, who's lives depend on their dog partners.

My dog had to endure 14 months of extensive training and I had to wait two years and go through 2 grueling weeks of Team Training to receive my Service Dog, I expect that anyone who brings their dog into the public go through the same.