Service dog for sleep apnea

luckybecky

If any of you notice a dog behaving badly in the public venue please approach them and tell them that you know they are NOT a certified working team

Nope, I am not going to confront anyone about their behavior on the ship. If it's egregious enough I'll bring it to the attention of the crew, but that's it.

What about the poor sot who is allergic to dogs and checks into that cabin next week? That'd be a tough pill to swallow. It would seem to be a far more serious issue than when someone who claims to be allergic to cigarette smoke starts carping.

My Service Dog has been on 15 cruises [she has since retired and my new dog has only been on one this past March, with one coming-up in October.] My retired dog [brenda] has been on every major market cruiseline and has more friends from every voyage than I'll ever know.

To answer some of your good questions. The ship will provide a 4x5 wooden box [this may requre some pre-training sessions with your dog], it's lined with heavy duty plastic and filled with mulch. The ship will provide everything. I always recommend bringing your own potty bags and pick up the waste after each use [they will provide a receptical.] The box could be placed on an outside deck/in a crew working area or in a stairwell which is my preferred place because it's away from the public.

You may be allergic to my dog, I will do everything I can to keep him away from you. He doesn't bark/ bite/lick/sniff or scratch in public and is a complete gentleman. He has saved my life on many occasions and is truly my hero. You may be missing your own furbaby [the crew always is] and I invite you to pat/lay/play or just plain enjoy my miracle-worker if you choose to.

ANYONE who feeds their Service Dog in the dining room [we, who walk with SD's know NEVER to do this] or allows it to bark where it's disturbing others should be told to put the dog in a crate and pitch them off the ship at the next port. I can't tolerate folks who abuse the system and DON'T do the right thing. Service Dogs should be invisible and to train one to "bark" incessantly to "alert" somone is not only unecessary but is also down-right rude!!!!!!

I have a thread on "Disabled Cruising" on Cruise Critic ~ "Cruising with a Service Dog", which will answer all your good questions. Come on over and join us and thank you for caring.

Roz, I have read many of your posts about travelling with a service dog and always love the picture of Brenda in your avatar. And now you have Horton. I have always taught my children that working dogs are just that...working, and we cannot approach them or try to play with them unless and until their owner indicates that it is okay. We respect the truly amazing work and assistance these service dogs provide to their owners.

Given the wonderful gift of freedom that Brenda has given you over the years, and the help and support she (and now Horton) offer you, may Brenda have a long, happy, healthy retirement.

Edited by njmomof2

Roz, I have read many of your posts about travelling with a service dog and always love the picture of Brenda in your avatar. And now you have Horton. I have always taught my children that working dogs are just that...working, and we cannot approach them or try to play with them unless and until their owner indicates that it is okay. We respect the truly amazing work and assistance these service dogs provide to their owners.

Given the wonderful gift of freedom that Brenda has given you over the years, and the help and support she (and now Horton) offer you, may Brenda have a long, happy, healthy retirement.

Amen!!!

The ship can ask the passenger to leave the ship if the dog is acting badly.

And herein lies the problem. In at least two cases, on two different cruise lines, in accounts supported by multiple posters, the cruise lines failed to act when supposed "service dogs" were creating significant disruptions for other passengers (such as non-stop barking or eating off a plate on a table in the MDR).

Posters were told "its a service dog, we can't do anything about it."

Frankly, if a person's dog was quiet and non-disruptive, I probably wouldn't spend more than 15 seconds wondering if it was a real service dog or not. But if I was on a cruise with a barking yippy dog, believe me, the "its a service dog" reply from guest relations wouldn't be enough.

The MDR question also struck me as odd. I understand most service dogs being allowed in the MDR, but not sure why one for sleep apnea would need to be in there.

Agree. Actually it should be in the cabin sleeping getting ready for its night shift.

Wow Charmed Mom - not so charming.

I have a blind friend that sails with her service dog. She is a beautiful German Sheppard. She stayed under the table at dining time and is very well behaved. She wore a bow-tie on formal nights and even saw her on a loungechair a time or two, next to her owner, my friend.

Why bother sailing if she can't see? Why go to a ballet if you can't dance? Why go on a cruise if you can't swim? Why do go to a symphony if you can't play an instrument? Why parasail if you can't fly with your own wings?

Seeing is not the only way to experience things. Sight, smell, touch, hearing...think about it. Just because one of your senses (like common sense) doesn't work doesn't mean you wont enjoy the experience. I am appalled by your response!

The dog has special areas on the ship away from passengers that they do their business. If the person has a balcony, they actually put a grasslike area on the balcony that is cleaned daily. the blind person doesn't step in it. Service dogs are well trained and even do their business on command. They don't just hike their legs or squat without giving clues to their owner that need relief.

So she wont see a sunset, but she feels it on her face. She wont see your face (thank goodness) so she wont know you until you speak or if you wear a distinct perfume that she remembers, but she DOES experience the cruise in every other way you do, just doesn't see it.

You really need to do some research before you make such heartless comments. I pray my friend never meets you on a ship.

Thank you for your service. My husband also has PTSD and has issues with crowds. It is something you can't understand unless you have it or live with someone who has it.

My son was also in Iraq and suffers from PTSD.

Let me try to Clarify why she would want to dring the dog to the dinning room.

I suffer from PTSD from my tours in Iraq. I have a service dog that helps me with my issues with crowds along with other things like helping me remember to take medication along with numerous other things.

But when I received Murphy my service dog the biggest thing I was told was she was to go every where I went to keep them focused on the job that they are trained to do. It is also very important that I am the only one that handles Murphy. So even though the lady will not be sleeping in the MDR it is very important that where ever she goes so does the dog to keep the dog on task.

We ran into a couple vacationing in Florida who swore they needed their job as a service animal. I tried politely to find out what she needed the dog for and finally got them to admit they didn't want to leave the dog at home. The needed to take the dog on a trolley tour? Her husband was there.

Sleep apnea? Please.

Edited by LynnTTT

Lola, don't be sad. Be happy for the folks who are lucky to have a beautiful and amazing canine hero in their lives. I'm one of them and I'm proud of it.

When you see someone walking or wheeling with a Working Dog, smile and enjoy watching the "dance" that they do together as a team....it's remarkable; it's purity of heart and soul.

Thanks for reading and opening-up yourselves to listen.

I am sad for people who are so judgemental. I am very happy for the people who have amazing canines, I have 2 loyal labs that give me the most joy. I wish people would MYOB :)

Many service animals perform real lifesaving work

then again, some people , especially here in South Florida, call their pet a "service animal" and use it to do whatever they want

Here is the website where people learn how to get their pet certified

http://www.petsincondos.org/

I know a woman who keeps her cute Maltese in a "bag">> poor thing goes everywhere, never seems to get out. He is an "emotional" support dog, there to calm her nerves or something. No real "diagnosis"

http://www.petsincondos.org/ESA.htm

They do suggest ways people can get their pet "certified" for emotional support

I doubt if a maltese is the suggested prescription for the medical condition of sleep apnea. And as others have pointed out, why the need for dog at dinner where she is not sleeping?? How would the dog stay up all night anyhow, dogs sleep more than people

I agree that it is becoming rather common and easy for people to get their pets certified as "service dogs." We have friends who did it so they can travel with their dog and bring their dog on the plane and not have to pay to have them fly in cargo. It is a sad state of affairs but I think that it does do harm to the reputation of animals that are true "service animals."

My question is where will it end? How many service dogs will be allowed on a ship at one time. My guess is, unlike the airline, the cruise industry will not restrict the amount of dogs on the the ship.

To play devil's advocate here: Are these dogs accounted for in the planning of an emergency at sea? One or two large dogs, is probably no going to throw off the lifeboat count, but what if we start seeing 20-30 service animals on a ship? How will these dogs be mustered and placed on lifeboats, especially if these are not true service dogs? It is a big difference between covering for some of your fake service dogs inadequacies on a big ship, but what about in the confines of those small lifeboats?

My problem isn't about 1 or 2, and it is not about legit service dogs, it is about the ease to get your pets certified and the fact that all this attention I am sure has a bunch of less than honest people scrambling to do this now that it is a matter of going to a website, paying a couple of hundred dollars ( and checking the box where you swear that this is a trained service dog - no validation, just a check mark) You even send a picture so they can provide your with legit ID with your dogs picture. - no problem, I could even certify my dead dog and pay the money.

I just see people taking their pets cruising especially on things like repositioning cruises that tend to be much longer, and there is suddenly 50 dogs on the ship...

My question is where will it end? How many service dogs will be allowed on a ship at one time. My guess is, unlike the airline, the cruise industry will not restrict the amount of dogs on the the ship.

To play devil's advocate here: Are these dogs accounted for in the planning of an emergency at sea? One or two large dogs, is probably no going to throw off the lifeboat count, but what if we start seeing 20-30 service animals on a ship? How will these dogs be mustered and placed on lifeboats, especially if these are not true service dogs? It is a big difference between covering for some of your fake service dogs inadequacies on a big ship, but what about in the confines of those small lifeboats?

My problem isn't about 1 or 2, and it is not about legit service dogs, it is about the ease to get your pets certified and the fact that all this attention I am sure has a bunch of less than honest people scrambling to do this now that it is a matter of going to a website, paying a couple of hundred dollars ( and checking the box where you swear that this is a trained service dog - no validation, just a check mark) You even send a picture so they can provide your with legit ID with your dogs picture. - no problem, I could even certify my dead dog and pay the money.

I just see people taking their pets cruising especially on things like repositioning cruises that tend to be much longer, and there is suddenly 50 dogs on the ship...

There have been many service dogs on a cruise before. There was a blind group cruise and they all had their service dogs...everything went well.

The problem will never be those who truly need a service dog.

The problem will be those who abuse the system to bring their "pets" with them.

It will be interesting to see what happens now that the ADA has been amended so that only dogs and miniature horses are covered under the act. I wonder if there will be further amendments to require some sort of official documentation or certification. Not that that will stop some people...

It will be interesting to see what happens now that the ADA has been amended so that only dogs and miniature horses are covered under the act. I wonder if there will be further amendments to require some sort of official documentation or certification. Not that that will stop some people...

Miniature horses? :eek:

There is another service animal thread here somewhere that had some good links to this part of the ADA--including the thing about miniature horses. The quoted part (can't seem to find it) did say that the service animal had to meet strict guidelines and have certain talents specific to the service they provide--and they had to be certified by the government (not sure if it was Federal or state) and not just a certification provided by a doctor. Also clarified differences between service animal and compassion animal (or something to that effect). Also said only certified service animals are allowed onboard. Sorry, this was just from memory--maybe someone else can find the source if they are interested.

Miniature horses? :eek:

Yep ; -)

A miniature horse is similar in size/weight to a Lab or Shepard.

They have a working life expectancy something like 3 or 4 times that of a service dog, so the intensive training and the team building gets a much better return on investment.

Horses are smart and train up to do their business just like dogs.

I read 'most' of the posts on this thread and didnt read anywhere on the REAL issues here

- Does the dog have to dress up on Formal Night?

- Does the dog have to go to the muster drill?

- Can the dog leave a bone early in the morning on a lounge chair and come back a few hours later?

- Can the dog request the automatic tips be removed?

- Can the dog use his/her birth Certificate or does it need a passport?

- Can the dog smoke e-cigs in the no smoking areas?

:p

I hope I never have to encounter a dog on a ship. I've had allergies my whole life but over the last year they've gotten worse. I start to sneeze uncontrollably, wheeze etc. when I'm in the same room with a dog for some reason and that's with allergy pills. I can't imagine having to be miserable on vacation due to allergies.

I was in a horse barn yesterday for two minutes and spent hours in misery so I can't imagine there being a horse onboard lol.

The post early on here about the blind man not bringing his service dog on cruises because of the problem with the untrained dogs made me so sad!! He has to deal with enough extra challenges without adding untrained dogs to the mix!!!!!!!!!!

Dogs are awesome creatures and they provide SO MANY services to people! (When I was a kid out alone with my dog, two guys in a car stopped in the street to asked me for directions and were giving off some major bad vibes. I hightailed to get away from them and as I was leaving I heard the car door open behind me, which scared the snot out of me, but my dog leaped back and got aggresive; car door slammed and they took off. Who needed a body guard when I had my dog :D )

Everyone here seems to be in agreement: you can tell a real service dog by how they act in public and dogs should never be fed from the table buffet.

I would happily cruise with dozens of real service dogs but not everyone's favorite family pet.

They really need to fix this problem with certification. Maybe the certification process should require dogs to pass some type of service training before certification?

Edited by jules1121

I really have my lab trained to fetch a can of beer from the bar fridge for me, that is as specific training as it gets. I am going to submit him for certification as early as possible, that way he can cruise with us next time an we won't have to leave our loungers that we have to stake claim to by 7AM or so.

I don't think Guy's Burger retreival would be an option as my guess is that he is a big fan of piggy patties....