Service dog for sleep apnea

luckybecky

Sleep Apnea isn't a disability, so I don't think it would fall under the ADA's guidelines, anyway.

It may be a disability. Here's what I found on one website.

The ADA does not contain a list of medical conditions that constitute disabilities. Instead, the ADA has a general definition of disability that each person must meet (EEOC Regulations . . ., 2011). Therefore, some people with sleep disorders will have a disability under the ADA and some will not.

The deciding factor is this woman is a fraud will be

IF (like someone did last year) she demands that there be staff available to babysit her dog while she spends the day on the island with a tour.

IF she asks for that...she is a fraud.

Almost any pet can be certified as a service dog, the restrictions are very loose in the USA. My dad has sleep apnea real bad, doesn't drive (he fell asleep one time too many at the wheel) and doesn't operate any types of heavy/dangerous equipment. Since using his CPAP it has gotten better. But it is still bad...

My understanding also is a true service dog would NEVER be fed food from a table.

I think if that happened to me in the MDR I would probably ask to be moved. I do not feed my dogs table scraps, I do not feed my dog at the table..it just sorta..weird.

have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you folks only knew how much was required to bring a service dog aboard you would know that most people would go through it for pets. You have to contact eacha nd every port to find the requirements for entry to that port, get an international health certificate, submit paperwork to the cruise line verifying shots and health status and these are just a few of the things needed. Also, if it is a true service dog for what ever reason, it should always be with the patient.

I know several pet owners that would jump through those hoops in order to take "lovey" with them.

as far as where the dog makes whoopsies...

On the Emerald Princess last year, a woman had a very small chihuahua-type of dog. There was an area on the Promenade deck, under some stairs near the forward part of the ship where we saw a large, low-sided cardboard box that had been filled with wood shavings. We assumed that was the special area for "whoopsies."

Shame that his seeing eye dog was bit, shame he can't bring it on board now

I do live in an area where people get little dogs "certified">> I posted the link about emotional support dogs

I posted the link...there are some doctors who support this and will write the "prescription"...mostly so older people can keep a dog in a condo, etc

As someone else has posted, the real test of this is that a true service dog is super well behaved, some of these little "emotional" dogs are not, they are just pets

So what happens when someone brings their "emotional support" dog on the ship and they manage to infest a cabin with fleas? We rented a condo in Isle of Palms, SC some years ago and although it was a "no pets allowed" condo someone had obviously broken the rules because we left with lots of flea bites.

If you folks only knew how much was required to bring a service dog aboard you would know that most people would go through it for pets. You have to contact eacha nd every port to find the requirements for entry to that port, get an international health certificate, submit paperwork to the cruise line verifying shots and health status and these are just a few of the things needed. Also, if it is a true service dog for what ever reason, it should always be with the patient.

Seriously - that would take maybe an hour to accomplish assuming you already have your dog certified by a doctor for some bogus condition. I'm sure the info is on the individual countries website as to what is required. You go to the vet, have the standard panel of shots, they always give you a vaccination certificate, you fax that in to Carnival... Pretty easy... And you've now saved hundreds of dollars in kennel fees so Muffin can travel with you for "anxiety disorder" or "sleep apnea".

I love pets, have a dog, 2 cats, fish and a hedgehog. I am a foster family for the local SPCA. But pets can't cruise and that is that - so they stay home with a petsitter to the tune fo 40$ a day.

I think it is wonderfull that dogs are able to be trained to be real service animals for those who truly need them (blind, seizure, ...). I know it costs thousands to properly train a seeing eye dog and they are *very well trained*. It is very counterproductive to these real service dog to have the family pet passed off as service animals just so he can go on a cruise.

Some people... :rolleyes:

If she has all the required paperwork, then who cares. If your allergic, well that stinks, but people are allergic to lots of stuff thats not forbidden on ships.

I work for an airline, if the person states its a service dog, and shows required documentation we are not allowed to ask anymore questions, or criticise them.

I'm having a sleep study done on the 20th of this month. I am pretty sure I have sleep apnia. I know I snore. My 80 pound Goldendoodle wakes me up every time I snore. So does that mean I can take him with me on my upcoming cruise?:D

We were on the Imagination with a lady who had a service dog that she brought to the buffet and picked him up so he could see the deserts and then stuck her finger in the icing for him to taste. I went to the Purser's desk to complain about this behavior and was told it was a service dog, so I guess if she wants to bring him to the MDR she just may be allowed.

Seriously????? That is about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life. I think I might have lost it if I had witnessed that display of ignorance.

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea 6 years ago and I also have never heard of a service dog for that condition. My VPAP recently broke, so I've spent two months trying to replace it and Medicare won't pay for a VPAP in my situation. I'll be getting a CPAP on Thursday.

I always had problems with my old machine in getting it to fit right and it would always beep at me during the night because the fit had slipped. I've had two sleep studies in the past month and on the second one, they used a CPAP machine and it was amazingly comfortable and light, compared to my old one.

Apparently, they have made so much progress in the past few years that if you've had problems adjusting to the machine in the past, you really should try the new ones.

I hated my old machine at first, but I was determined that I would adjust to it and after a couple of weeks I got used to it. At this point, I'm really looking forward to my new one.

If you have sleep apnea and refuse to use the machine, you're really taking a risk. Do you feel lucky? :)

We once sailed with a service dog and we never even knew he was there. He would lie under the table in any area or under a chair if out on deck. He was always out of the way. There was a "litter box" for him, it was a large box with some sort of substance in it that they would take him to and they had to clean out after each use. The staff would not help or were not allowed to handle the dog in any way.

I do not remember what was wrong with the gentleman with the dog but it was a legitimate service dog. He was a golden retriever.

Now, I never saw anyone have an issue with the dog on the ship, but like I said, you didn't know he was there. I think the cruise lines should have to require the certification on the dog on being a service dog and maybe they should start making it ALOT harder to get these dogs certified so people can't take advantage of this...

As far as CCLs liability in getting sued for asking questions, what about their liability for getting sued if someone gets bitten? Suppose you have some woman in the dark theatre at the show and you sit next to her and her dog bites you because he considers you a threat...a service dog is trained to not do this, but the "semi-service" dogs might not be...I would think there would be some serious liabilities for that...

I guess it really doesn't matter, people see a situation and there are those that take advantage of anything that would make them happy regardless of anyone else. Sad, but that is how society is becoming.

Today on John Heald's blog, someone asked a question about bringing her Maltese on board. She said he is a service dog for her sleep apnea.

I'm not trying to start a fire here, but I'm genuinely curious. I have been a respiratory therapist for 30 years and have worked with hundreds of people who have sleep apnea. I've never heard of a service dog for this and wonder how one could possibly be useful for this condition. Anyone out there with sleep apnea who could offer some insight on this?

I also have sleep apnea and have wondered about this as well because I was NEVER offered a service dog for my problem

LOL!!

I thought about that also, but the nature of sleep apnea is that the person stops breathing continually, sometimes dozens of times per hour -- more than once a minute. The dog would be barking all night long! In that case, I sure hope I won't be in the cabin next to her. :eek:

If you stop breathing during the day (falling asleep) it isn't called sleep apnea, it's called narcolepsy - bit difference, I know somebody that is narcoleptic

Not to lecture you but over time sleep apnea can cause serious health issues including heart attacks. When you constantly stop breathing, even for just a few seconds, over time it begins to affect your cardiovascular system. My hubby initially struggled to get used to the mask but now he wont go without it. I would continue to try to use the cpap, eventually you will adjust.

I thought I had read that service animals were not allowed to be left in the room unattended? Maybe that's why she is asking about the mdr?

I flat out refuse to do a CPAP machine ... I stop breathing often (according to the study that was done, my sleep apnea is really bad - but then again I have a strange heart rhythm when I sleep as well). I now take Lunesta - it helps me sleep well, and it has helped to cut down the number of times I stop breathing by a large number.

I'm all for service animals if they are really needed, but ships and planes don't serve peanuts because some people have a bad allergy to nuts - well, some people have a bad allergy to pet dander and shouldn't have to risk their lives because people bringing their service animals onto a ship. Sure, people with service animals are entitled to a vacation, but should their vacation interfere with the health of others? I don't think so. AND ... because I believe that the only service animal that should be allowed in public places is that of a seeing eye dog (for the BLIND), but then that raises questions ... what benefit does a blind person have going on a cruise ship? They can feel the wind, feel the suns rays and heat, smell the food and the ocean - but what are they seeing (not to be rude), but they aren't seeing these other countries or a sunset/sunrise. And because this seeing eye dog doesn't have regular place to go (you know ... poo), do they just go wherever and then the blind people either step in it because they didn't know it was there (or another passenger does). Just my opinion here (something I don't understand).

I also have sleep apnea and have wondered about this as well because I was NEVER offered a service dog for my problem

If you stop breathing during the day (falling asleep) it isn't called sleep apnea, it's called narcolepsy - bit difference, I know somebody that is narcoleptic

I flat out refuse to do a CPAP machine ... I stop breathing often (according to the study that was done, my sleep apnea is really bad - but then again I have a strange heart rhythm when I sleep as well). I now take Lunesta - it helps me sleep well, and it has helped to cut down the number of times I stop breathing by a large number.

I'm all for service animals if they are really needed, but ships and planes don't serve peanuts because some people have a bad allergy to nuts - well, some people have a bad allergy to pet dander and shouldn't have to risk their lives because people bringing their service animals onto a ship. Sure, people with service animals are entitled to a vacation, but should their vacation interfere with the health of others? I don't think so. AND ... because I believe that the only service animal that should be allowed in public places is that of a seeing eye dog (for the BLIND), but then that raises questions ... what benefit does a blind person have going on a cruise ship? They can feel the wind, feel the suns rays and heat, smell the food and the ocean - but what are they seeing (not to be rude), but they aren't seeing these other countries or a sunset/sunrise. And because this seeing eye dog doesn't have regular place to go (you know ... poo), do they just go wherever and then the blind people either step in it because they didn't know it was there (or another passenger does). Just my opinion here (something I don't understand).

I don't know if you are seriously asking or not however I find your post a bit offensive.

Why does a blind person want to cruise? Who cares why. Just because they can't see doesn't mean they don't experience new things. And service animals don't just go to the bathroom anywhere. They are very well trained. On cruise ships they have a special spot for them to go that is out of the way. We found it by accident on our last cruise. Thankfully the ADA disagrees with you and someone's need for a service animal trumps anyone's allergies. While i realize some allergies can be severe, you can avoid the dog if necessary. No public place can refuse to allow someone in due to a service animal.

How exactly do you suggest someone with a service animal vacation if by your own post you say they shouldn't be allowed around people with allergies? Is there some secret island to avoid all people? The world can't cater to everyone's allergies. If you have one you must be responsible for yourself to avoid anything that might trigger it. I have a serious allergy to shellfish, doesn't mean I expect everyone around me to not eat it.

Edited by BeachChik

I don't know if you are seriously asking or not however I find your post a bit offensive.

Why does a blind person want to cruise? Who cares why. Just because they can't see doesn't mean they don't experience new things. And service animals don't just go to the bathroom anywhere. They are very well trained. On cruise ships they have a special spot for them to go that is out of the way. We found it by accident on our last cruise. Thankfully the ADA disagrees with you and someone's need for a service animal trumps anyone's allergies. While i realize some allergies can be severe, you can avoid the dog if necessary. No public place can refuse to allow someone in due to a service animal.

I agree that a blind person with their service animal has just as much right to be on a cruise as I do but this does bring up a very difficult situation. If a person has a very serious allergy to pet dander, I mean to the point that it can be deadly. Would this not be considered a disability also? So if both of these people have the right to cruise with their service animal or without the risk of having a dangerous reaction to sad animal, who gets priority?

I guess at this time a blind person is considered truly disabled while the person with the allergies is not.

Thankfully the ADA disagrees with you and someone's need for a service animal trumps anyone's allergies. While i realize some allergies can be severe, you can avoid the dog if necessary. No public place can refuse to allow someone in due to a service animal.

Ah well ... the ADA is an American organization, so technically Carnival can refuse the use of ANY service animal.

And technically it was a rhetorical question!! If you found my post offensive, you apparently found loads of others on here just as offensive <shrug>

I agree that a blind person with their service animal has just as much right to be on a cruise as I do but this does bring up a very difficult situation. If a person has a very serious allergy to pet dander, I mean to the point that it can be deadly. Would this not be considered a disability also? So if both of these people have the right to cruise with their service animal or without the risk of having a dangerous reaction to sad animal, who gets priority?

I guess at this time a blind person is considered truly disabled while the person with the allergies is not.

The ADA classifies a disability as a physical or mental impairment that limits major life activities ie walking, seeing, caring for oneself etc. An activity that the average person can perform with no difficulty. An allergy does not fall into this category.

Ah well ... the ADA is an American organization, so technically Carnival can refuse the use of ANY service animal.

And technically it was a rhetorical question!! If you found my post offensive, you apparently found loads of others on here just as offensive <shrug>

I don't know if the cruise lines have to follow the ADA or not, but they do otherwise why not refuse to allow the animals. No company wants to risk being sued and the bad publicity that would come from such an issue.

What I find incredibly rude and offensive is your comments about why would a blind person want to cruise since they can't see anything. According to your mentality, why do they even bother to leave their house. They can't see anything anyway. :rolleyes:

Today on John Heald's blog, someone asked a question about bringing her Maltese on board. She said he is a service dog for her sleep apnea.

I'm not trying to start a fire here, but I'm genuinely curious. I have been a respiratory therapist for 30 years and have worked with hundreds of people who have sleep apnea. I've never heard of a service dog for this and wonder how one could possibly be useful for this condition. Anyone out there with sleep apnea who could offer some insight on this?

Just an absolute abuse of a system that let's people pretend they have a disability.