Alaska Packing List

CruisinChic

Some warm clothes...fleece or a wool sweater, a jacket, and rain gear...at least a raincoat with a hood....The whole idea...as people have a gazillion times....put on a t-shirt, then a fleece shirt or a sweater, then a jacket...Carry a small backpack if possible to hold your water, shore snacks if necessary and your raincoat. You can find very cheap rain gear...both pants and jacket...but they need to be waterproof, not water resistant. Being wet in 50 degree weather is not comfortable...If you are not avid hikers, and don't plan to go on a boat or a glacier, you can get by with less, but it is better to bring some cool weather gear with you...and if you plan on standing out on glacier bay to look at whales and see the glacier and you don;t have a suite with full floor to ceiling windows, you might want a pair of gloves. I have been to Glacier bay numerous times and it has always rained and been cold....Is it ever sunny? Yes, but I haven;t seen it...There is still lots of snow on the mountains, the temps are in the 30's still in the am around Anchorage and is usually rains in the South East. That whole area is a temperate rain forrest. The size of the trees are amazing...:) Oh yeh, bring a hat...at least a baseball cap and sun glasses if you are going up on a glacier or a dog sled tour....

This is a very common question. Too bad it couldn't be posted at the top of the page as a STICKY. If you look back one page, and then every page after that, you'll find a thread on what to pack. Most people respond with what has worked for them so you'll find great recommendations.

As laughing husky stated, the key is layers, to stay dry & warm.

We had great weather on our cruise and tour last June. I think the sun was shining everyday! In fact, I sat on our balcony with shorts on in Glacier Bay! I felt this justified the one pair of shorts that I brought!

Most days I wore the following: long sleeve shirt/sweater, fleece jacket, waterproof windbreaker jacket with hood, Cuddleduds pants (long underwear), jeans, and tennis shoes.

When walking around the ship inside, jeans and a long sleeve shirt/sweater were what most people were wearing (with the exception of dinner when dress pants replaced the jeans).

Some days I needed the Cuddledud pants other days I didn't. Same goes for the fleece jacket, someday it was necessary to where both the windbreaker and fleece others it was not.

Gloves are good if you're going to be out and about for while.

The one thing we brought that we never used and decided would be useless was umbrellas.

Waterproof pants were one thing I debated buying before we left and I was glad I didn't because of the great weather we had. I'm not sure how useful or what a hindrance they would be if you were to have a lot of rain. I think they might only be helpful if you were out hiking around in the rain. But to wear around the ship, they would be worthless because you can always find a covered viewing area.

I would take 2 pair of shoes along, just in case you are caught in rain...no one wants to wear soggy shoes around the following day.

In addition to bringing a second pair of shoes. Be sure to take some extra socks (warm ones suggested). when your shoes get wet - your socks do to. What is the use of changing into dry socks if you keep on your wet ones.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

September - 2013 Panama Canal - - 28 day

August – 2014 – Eastern Med – 28 days or one that will be cruising Black Sea

Is fleece made of different materials? Would someone please recommend a material and a website that has the fleece-type coats everyone talks about?

Thanks,

ridgerunner51

Fleece is made of polyester. Great alternative to a sweatshirt made of cotton, which loses all insulating power when wet. Try LL Bean, Lands End, Cabela's, REI, etc.

Is fleece made of different materials? Would someone please recommend a material and a website that has the fleece-type coats everyone talks about?

Thanks,

ridgerunner51

I'm sure there are different qualities of fleece, but what I own and wore in Alaska isn't anything special. I paid around $30 and mine is Columbia brand. My husband has a fleece pullover that cost around $15 from Old Navy.

If you wait until you get to Alaska, there are TONS of fleece jackets for sale at all of the ports for about $10 and up. (Ketchikan being the cheapest souvenirs I saw last year!)

Here is an example similar to mine:

http://www.columbia.com/Women%E2%80%99s-Benton-Springs%E2%84%A2-Full-Zip/WL6439,default,pd.html

If you Google: womens fleece jacket, I'm sure you'll find lots of options, different qualities, and prices.

Lands End was mentioned....If you look at the overstocks or sales you will find it there. they can ship quickly and there fleece is good...Sometimes hard to find fleece in warm weather states in the summer....:) It is easy to find in Alaska....any time.....

Archived