Liberty OTS, 5 night Western Med - Cruise Compass and other flyers

Hi Pete: just a quick question. Saw in the dailys you sent where ATM open, one for dollars & other for euros. Also said desk available for curreny change. Do they offer change,coin for larger Euro denoninations.

We will have dollars and paper euros with us but will need to get ,1 & 2 euros coins for restroom/ change etc. Thanks for any info you can give. Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida:):):)

Hi Pete: just a quick question. Saw in the dailys you sent where ATM open, one for dollars & other for euros. Also said desk available for curreny change. Do they offer change,coin for larger Euro denoninations.

We will have dollars and paper euros with us but will need to get ,1 & 2 euros coins for restroom/ change etc. Thanks for any info you can give. Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida:):):)

Hi Bob & Nancy, I'm not sure whether they will split say a €5 note into coins as they stated on the Compass for day 1 that although they have Euros for exchange, they say they are unable to exchange any coins.

Are you staying in Barcelona prior to your sailing? If so, I'd ask at the hotel you are staying at to exchange a very small amount of Euro notes into coins if they can. Either that, there should be an exchange bureau at Barcelona airport.

Failing that, I normally just purchase a bottle of water at my first stop and pay with a note and receive coins in change as we don't have many Euro coins at home before we travel to Europe.

As for the ATM machines onboard, please don't rely solely on these for withdrawing cash because on several occasions I saw both machines out of order.

I think Mariner had completed her TA from the US in preparation for her 2012 European program, so all those passengers would either be travelling to Rome for an extended stay or sightseeing definitely.

I did feel that most left the ship as it was very quiet. The only thing I didn't like was that places like Johnny Rockets which we enjoy when it is quiet for lunch, did not open until 3 pm nor Sorrentos which didn't open until 2 pm, which is too late for lunch. So the only venue available for lunch is the WJ because of course as it was not a sea day the MDR wasn't open either.

Did these restaurants open late on Sea days, as well? :confused:

Did these restaurants open late on Sea days, as well? :confused:
No, on our only sea day (Day 5 of the Compasses above), Johnny Rockets opened at 11:30 am as did Sorrento's. And of course as it was a sea day, the MDR was open from noon to 1:30 pm on deck 3 in the Rembrandt dining room.

Hi Peter,

Thinking of booking the 7 night for next year the week before we go on Serenade. Just a quick question. Do you think port or starboard is best. Both mid humps are available, so I have a choice.

Alex

Thanks Peter. We are actually sailing on the 7 day in September, but we only have that one sea day, too. I forget that we will be gone all other days during the lunch hour, but do like to grab a slice of pizza and an ice cream cone when we return. I guess we will have to fill up in the Windjammer for breakfast before heading out each morning. :D We will save JR for the sea day. ;)

bigeck - We have a hump on the port side for our cruise. Both sides were available, but I thought the port might give us more views of the ports as we approach them each morning. :)

Thanks Peter. We are actually sailing on the 7 day in September, but we only have that one sea day, too. I forget that we will be gone all other days during the lunch hour, but do like to grab a slice of pizza and an ice cream cone when we return. I guess we will have to fill up in the Windjammer for breakfast before heading out each morning. :D We will save JR for the sea day. ;)

bigeck - We have a hump on the port side for our cruise. Both sides were available, but I thought the port might give us more views of the ports as we approach them each morning. :)

Sometimes the ship docks starboard. ;) We too have a hump, originally on port side until we read of the grand piano directly above us and switched to starboard. That cabin, the royal suite, was booked a year ago so maybe they are expecting to party. We didn't get the choicest hump in the middle but at lest we won't have s piano either.

I read about the Grand Piano a few years ago, but could not find anything recent. Could you share? Anyway, According to the plans, the piano section is not actually over our stateroom, although the Suite is. We were under that Suite on a Voyager class ship and didn't have a problem. Hey, and if there is a party, DH and I will just arrive to party in our PJ's. :D

Where we dock doesn't matter. Not going to be in the stateroom after we dock, nor the rest of the day, until getting ready for dinner. We would rather look at the sea, than the port most times. It's the port approach that we love to watch, and I believe the port side will fit that bill for most ports on this itinerary. ;)

Ashland on this forum posted about the piano maybe six months ago and I gather they heard it being played in the early hours. That would drive me bonkers. I don't know exactly which room the piano is in but Ashland was in the JS and heard it.

I think the ship arrives too early for us to watch it sail in. Villefrance is a tender so that won't make any difference. Livorno is an inside port and i think Rome is too sp views all round. I love watching sailwaways though so plan on using the helipad for that for an all round view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for advice about the piano. If we hear it we might have to Knock on the door and join the party.

8338 and 8640 are available. Also 8712 and 8412 on the Aft are still up for grabs.

I did want a hump as we are in an Aft on Serenade. I want to sample them both and sun shining in the morning on the balcony is what we would like.

Alex

Thanks for advice about the piano. If we hear it we might have to Knock on the door and join the party.

8338 and 8640 are available. Also 8712 and 8412 on the Aft are still up for grabs.

I did want a hump as we are in an Aft on Serenade. I want to sample them both and sun shining in the morning on the balcony is what we would like.

AlexSorry not replied sooner, but we had 8338 and think it's a great location starboard.

In Cannes the ship anchored so that starboard side could see the town, obviously that could change, but the tender pontoons were installed on the starboard side so you could watch the tenders come and go from your balcony.

In Livorno, being starboard side gave us a sea view, but then again Mariner was also docked and her starboard side would only give a view of the port which is just industrial.

To be honest, we arrived too early for me to watch the arrival into port from the balcony, I was still asleep!

In Civitavecchia, being starboard gave you a view of the port.

Thanks Peter,

8338 it is then. With the posts about the piano from the Royal Suite and the small balcony at the corner of the hump. Middle is best.

Alex

You're most welcome, just wished I taken more shots of 8338 for you, but it's just a standard E2 category but dead centre hump. As you can see from our photos it was a good spot for panoramic shots of Cannes and the tender operation, the departure of Mariner from Livorno and the ships passing in Civitavecchia.

Ashland on this forum posted about the piano maybe six months ago and I gather they heard it being played in the early hours. That would drive me bonkers. I don't know exactly which room the piano is in but Ashland was in the JS and heard it.

I think the ship arrives too early for us to watch it sail in. Villefrance is a tender so that won't make any difference. Livorno is an inside port and i think Rome is too sp views all round. I love watching sailwaways though so plan on using the helipad for that for an all round view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the reviews about the piano. Hopefully, we will not have a problem.

With the scheduled time of arrival at 7:00, I figure that the ship will be pulling in by 6:00. We are very early risers, so plan to be up and having breakfast by that time. :) It's the approach that counts, not once you get to the port. Tendering will not make a difference. We still have to get to the tendering spot.

Some of my recent photos of a port approaches. See what you miss when you sleep in. :D

1194298432_CarnivalGloryNovember2010043.jpg.77b31274e7015b1aec6fe20181008ed5.jpg

DSC06640.jpg.fd7e1cbecfcedeff6aa4fdbd285c2b30.jpg

DSC06661.jpg.b79e120a998bd814181faba20867c93b.jpg

DSC06720.jpg.ab5cec27eacbd38393f2288bb67c0eff.jpg

Some of my recent photos of a port approaches. See what you miss when you sleep in. :D

Well, I'm not too bad. On my recent Queen Mary Cruise in Australia I got up at 4am to watch the cruise into the Sydney Harbour. Stunning. But I was totally whacked for the rest of the day.:(

• 2 months later...

Archived