GEM-Lunch on embarkation day

We really don't want to go to the Buffet as usually it is insane on embarkation day. I understand one of the main dining rooms is open but wasn't sure what time it is open till for lunch. Also would like to know of Blue lagoon will be open and what time the grill starts on the pool deck. Thanks for any help. Just looking for a good place to be till the rooms are ready.;)

In September, it was the aft main dining room open for lunch on embarkation day. Just check the Daily or ask a crewmember. Blue Lagoon should be open when you embark and be open forever after that, since it's 24-hour venue.

Not sure on the grilling on the pool deck - just check the Daily.

I haven't been on the Gem yet, but on other ships the Blue Lagoon isn't usually open until after the muster drill. The same goes for the BBQ out by the pool.

At embarkation the choice is usually the buffet and one of the MDRs. Although the staff usually steers everyone to the buffet.

Cagney's will also be open for embarkation lunch for suite guests. (Penthouse and above.)

Poolside BBQ starts at 1600 (4:00 PM) :D

I agree with the previous poster that Blue Lagoon opens about the same time.

I think the fact the staff tend to push the buffet for lunch is how some people never find the MDR during the cruise and then complain that the food is like eating in a cafeteria since you have to get the foof and feed youself. :cool:

ON the 5/5 sailing of the Gem The Blue Lagoon WAS open for lunch and they announced it over the intercom. Of course the Grand Pacific and Buffet were also.

Thanks for the info- Blue lagoon would be great if its open as we will probably go for an early dinner in MDR the 1st night, don't want to eat a heavy lunch and don't want the buffet. Soup and a salad would be great.

We always go to the MDR instead of the buffet and usually when we are done, so are the rooms. It is a relaxing way to start the trip. Plus, if you get a window seat you can watch them loading items on the boat. For some reason I get a kick out of seeing 2 whole pallets of bananas going on board.

The crew really does try to steer you to the pool deck buffet tho but just make your way to the Grand Pacific. Save Blue Lagoon for late night! Enjoy your cruise!

Archived