Butchart Gardens

mouse0217

We will be arriving in Victoria at 6pm and will be there until 12am on the Pearl.

We would liek to go to Butchart Gardens, but maybe go on our own. The cruiseship price is at $79 a person! There would be 6 of us (adults).

Anybody else take a taxi and go on their own?

Or is this a bad idea?

Depends on when you go, they may be closed to the public by the time you get off the ship & drive to the gardens. Butchart Gardens is quite a ways out of downtown Victoria (about a 30-minute drive). We cruised last May, and the only visitors when we got there around 8:30 were tour buses from the 3 cruise ships in port that night.

We will be arriving in Victoria at 6pm and will be there until 12am on the Pearl.

We would liek to go to Butchart Gardens, but maybe go on our own. The cruiseship price is at $79 a person! There would be 6 of us (adults).

Or is this a bad idea?

Not a bad idea but will require a good schedule.

Check out a minivan rental and drive yourself. (if you own a gps, take it with you, it will help you get to the Gardens.)

The schedule is tight, with 6 people perhaps a private car/limo that waits for you will be more effective/efficienct the the ship tour. I'd think very carefully about DIY with my own car, lots of overhead to get car, drive etc.

I made the mistake of doing the ship tour. Waited in line to board the bus, waited on the bus for like 30-40' for stupid last few people to get back. Had the joy of being the very last person up the gangplank, the ship does wait for you :D

Also be aware in the summer if they are doing the fireworks the place could be a zoo and not so enjoyable as in the day.

Or is this a bad idea?

Not a bad idea but will require a good schedule.

Check out a minivan rental and drive yourself. (if you own a gps, take it with you, it will help you get to the Gardens.)

I would not run the risk of renting a vehicle with so little time to spare.

Between the pick up time and the return time and the need to be back on the ship 30 minutes before the sailing there wouldn't be much time to see anything.

Keith

Or is this a bad idea?

I think it is a bad idea.

Let's say you really arrive there at 6:00 PM. By the time you can get off the ship maybe it's 6:30 PM. You also need to be back on the ship by 11:30 PM.

You aren't gong to get six people in one taxi.

You may fight traffic and crowds trying to get out there.

If this was me I would rush all around but rather I would go into downtown Victoria. It is a beautiful city and is located just a few minutes from the pier by vehicle or about a 20 minute walk.

Keith

A taxi is going to cost at least $50 each way and you will need 2 taxis. The logistics are that they are located in a semi-rural area about a 45 min drive from the Ogden Point cruise terminal. You want to have at least 2.5 hrs to enjoy them. A stretch limo may work but by the time you add it all up you are likely just as well off taking a ship's tour. There is the option to take the CVS Cruise Victoria's shuttle into town and transfer to their coach going out to the Gardens....but the connection going out may be just a bit tight for you. If you were do some phoning of rental companies you may end up with a mini-van for $50 or $60. Incidentally the fireworks are only on Saturday nights during the summer.

http://www.cvscruisevictoria.com/schedules_butchart.html

Archived