Deciding on whether to upgrade to Balcony on Pride...

GavinLC

I'm really torn. I currently have booked, for my first cruise, an interior stateroom on the Pride in August. However, I'm really considering taking the plunge and dealing with the extra cost to upgrade to a balcony. I'm kind of a claustrophobic person, and my girlfriend and I really enjoy relaxing in our room and enjoying balconies/patios when we're on other vacations - I also really like sleeping with the door/window open, and I think it would be great to enjoy our first cruise with a view of the water!

That said, I have a few questions:

1) Would you say it is worth it to shell out the extra $$$ for the balcony?

2) If I do it, should I book a 7A (obstructed view)? Or would I be better off going with a Category 8? If an 8 is better, would you recommend taking the gamble on a GUAR (it doesn't look like get you can have bad luck with an 8A GUAR, since you're pretty much guaranteed a balcony somewhere, but I wanted to hear a few opinions).

Thanks for your help. You should see how long my packing list is from lurking on these boards since we booked our trip! You guys are great!

I don't EVER want to cruise without a balcony again.

Period.

It would be painful at this point. I know there are many who will go in any cabin, as long as it's on a cruise ship. I'd rather wait, save my money, then spring for the balcony, even if it means cruising less often.

:D :D :D

Im going on my 5th cruise and stayed in inside cabins to balconies. I will never do an inside cabin again because you never know what time it is. You wake up at 9 am and it feels like 2 am. Its just plain weird. If you dont mind having an obstructed view then you should just go with a gauranteed balcany. You save money and maybe you can get an upgrade. ONCE YOU GO BALCONY YOU WON'T GO BACK!

A balcony all the way!!! We've done all of them and won't go back to anything but a balcony. We love spending time in the evenings just relaxing or whenever. Can enjoy breakfast and coffee in the am....Yes, yes, yes it's worth every penny!!!

WE're going on the Pride again in less than 6 weeks..you will love her!!

Have fun!

My DH & I had the same decision for our first cruise (the PRIDE !). We chose the balcony (went for the top - Panorama Deck - Extended) and WOW ! worth EVERY RED CENT !

Heather

Balconies Forever ...

I love balconies. IMHO, you vacation just a couple times each year and a balcony makes it that much more special.

But I wouldn't break the bank for it. You will enjoy your cruise in an inside stateroom - you just won't spend as much time there. You'll have an entire ship and lots of new friends to enjoy.

If I had to choose between one cruise each year with a balcony, or two cruises each year in an inside...I'd go on two cruises.

But I sure do love my balcony!

We were on the Pride 4-1/2 years ago and had a cat. 8A, I would definately always go with at LEAST that category. We had originally booked an inside cabin and then I was going to change it to an 7A, but the price difference for the 8A was only like $75-$100 per person and we went with the 8A.

Take an 8A mid-ship and enjoy!! :)

Balcony, balcony, balcony!!

Put it this way, I want to sail to Bermuda, but I can't seem to find a ship that goes there with balconies (other than suites), and I'd rather go anywhere else with a balcony than to Bermuda without.

But keep in mind, this won't be a one-time investment. You'll be an addict...every spare dime for the rest of your life will have "balcony cabin" written all over it! Beware!!

There is nothing better than waking up in the morning and walking outside on your balcony in the middle of the ocean!!! Or having a drink on your balcony at nite. There's nothing like it!!!! I never stayed in an inside room but I did have ocean views before I had the balcony and I will NEVER go back to even an ocean view! I think it's well worth it.

Go with the balcony!!! We've had one on all of our cruises, and I just can't imagine being without one! We especially enjoy having a balcony on the aft end of the ship. It let's you see both the port and starboard scenery, normally is extended somewhat compared to the regular balcony, and you can get more sun if you're looking for quite time at sea.

Spend the extra money, get yourself a balcony. You'll never regret it!! As far as the category, if your going to pay the extra money don't get an obstructed view. Go for it...and enjoy the beautiful scenery! Personally, I would hate looking past a lifeboat all week!

Archived