Piraeus port to Hydra or other islands

msk1

We are arriving via Ruby Princess in July. Having spent considerable time in Athens in the past we are considering going to Hydra or another nearby island for the day. Has anyone done this and have suggestions/recommendations/alerts for time constraints, etc? Did you use the hyrdofoil? Purchase tickets in advance,etc?

Thanks so much for input!

msk1

It has been a whole, so I don't remember all the details, but we took a day cruise from Pireaus. It went to three islands. I believe Hydra, Aegina and one other. We were picked up and dropped back at our hotel (Marriott). We booked it thru the hotel, probably a day or two in advance. We had a great time. Lunch was included and served while we were sailing between islands. My recollection is that whole the meal was OK, it was nothing great.

Both Aegina and Hydra are possible, but Hydra is a bit far for a port day. We have done Aegina during a port day and its a very laid back island with some decent cafe/restaurants and a beach within easy walking distance of the ferry pier. The island is known for its pistacchio nuts which are sold everywhere.

Hank

We haven't been to Hydra or Poros, but agree with Hank that Aegina is a pleasant day, and not too far. We had a couple of days in Athens (our second time there) before boarding the Rotterdam about 4 years ago. We took the metro to Piraeus, and bought tickets for the Hydrofoil from the agency right by the metro--I believe the prices are the same wherever you buy them. The hydrofoil took about 40 minutes, I seem to recall. We landed at Aegina town, and walked around a bit and rented a car (very informal, 30 Euro for the day), and drove down the west coast to Perdika and had lunch at a great Taverna at the small harbour there--no tourists in sight;).

After lunch we stopped at the small beach just north of town (Perdika) for a couple of hours, and then set off to explore. We headed back toward Aegina town, but cut off to the right just before town--we wanted to see the Agios Nektarios (church/monastery--'Agios' is 'saint' in Greek), near Kontos, in the island's interior (it's not a large island by any means). The church is fantastic--it's the largest in Greece (built by a benefactor with very deep pockets)! Nearby are several groups of long-abandoned stone dwellings from a couple of centuries ago--interesting.

We continued on to the Temple of Aphaia (Athena)--just another stunning Greek temple in a stunning location! Here's a map I found, if it might help set the scene:

aegina_athena_temple.gif

We made our way down and back along the north coast, stopping, of course, for a cafe frappe along the way (at Souvala--there's a few cafes with tables across the street, right on the sand)). We capped the day with dinner at a Taverna on the lively harbour of town, and watched the sun go down (buying our return ferry ticket first, as it was a Sunday, and we worried about the returning Athenians), bought some pistachios, and made our way to the last ferry of the evening as we saw it arrive.

The ferry back was about an hour and a half--I would have booked and taken the hydrofoil if time was an issue at all, but for us, that evening, it wasn't:).

We loved our day on Aegina--as we hope you do yours (should you end up there)!

We are arriving via Ruby Princess in July. Having spent considerable time in Athens in the past we are considering going to Hydra or another nearby island for the day. Has anyone done this and have suggestions/recommendations/alerts for time constraints, etc? Did you use the hyrdofoil? Purchase tickets in advance,etc?

Thanks so much for input!

msk1

We did this last year. When you exit the port (Pireaus), walk with the water on your left. You will pass a small bus depot, and then you'll see an open gate. That's where the ferries/hydrofoils are. We lucked out b/c I mixed up the times--thought we'd get a 9:40 hydrofoil--but we arrived at 8: 55 am for a 9:00 am hydrofoil that went to Aegina. Only a 30-40 minute airconditioned SPEED ride. You get the tix for the return as well...I think there's a 3:00 return or a 4:00 return---anyway you get back inplenty of time. RT was about 48 for 2 people, I think. I got tix when we were there.....They speak English.

Would love to have gone to Hydra, but it was 90 mins away.....

• 1 month later...

Did anyone who went to Aegina make it to the Temple of Aphaia? Just wondering if that is doable through local transportation with the time available. The ship is in port in Piraeus from 7-5.

Did anyone who went to Aegina make it to the Temple of Aphaia? Just wondering if that is doable through local transportation with the time available. The ship is in port in Piraeus from 7-5.

We did not go the Temple, but did notice that there is a local bus route (leaves from the small bus station in town) that can take you to the Temple. But, our info is 2 years old and things are not going so well in Greece these days with the economy. Whether this has any impact on the island buses...we have clue.

Hank

We did not go the Temple, but did notice that there is a local bus route (leaves from the small bus station in town) that can take you to the Temple. But, our info is 2 years old and things are not going so well in Greece these days with the economy. Whether this has any impact on the island buses...we have clue.

Hank

Thanks Hank. Even without the temple visit, it sounds like this would be a nice change from Athens.

Archived