Yet another 5/11/12 Equinox Mediterranean review! :)

Shooraq

Coming back in with my cup in hand... Is there any more? I'm eagerly awaiting your Santorini experience. Did you have a private tour there as well?

I've been smacked down at work lately... so the last day two days have been useless for my review... working on the next installment as we speak! :D

To answer your Santorini question - we actually shared a rental car with another couple we met on the ship thru the roll call. It was great spending as much time as we wanted in Oia, would highly recomend that over doing the ship winery tour, because you only get at most an hour in Oia.

Equinox Day 2 - Messina (Taormina/Castelmola)

Breakfast:

To start the day, we had breakfast at the buffet. Basically all of our mornings were spent grabbing a quick breakfast at the buffet. Sometimes waffles, sometimes omlettes, always fruit and cottage cheese. Unlike my experiences eating buffet breakfast on Royal Caribbean, it was never busy on the Equinox. It was always easy to grab food, find a table, and eat breakfast within 30 minutes. I love that!

Tour:

Our first port on our cruise was Messina. I arranged a tour using Sicily with Mario Astone: www.sicilywithmario.com. We chose to do the Taormina/Castelmola/Messina tour. We had a group of eight people on his tour, plus his brother and cousin were also booked with people from our roll call.

Taormina:

We arrived at Taormina, where Mario gave us maps of the area and pointed out areas of interest. Then we had 2 hours to ourselves. DH and I love the opportunities when we can just go off on our own and explore and take photos at our leisure. So a few of us walked over to the Teatro Greco, otherwise know as the Greek Amphitheater. All I can say is it is worth the few euros of an entrance fee. The scenery is breathtaking – the ruins are in great condition and lovely views of both Mount Etna and the coastline of Italy. We took LOTS of photos. Afterwards, we headed back to the center of down for some window shopping. Then we met back with Mario for the next stop…

Castelmola/Messina:

We then headed up the hill and arrived at Castelmola, a quaint village and further away from the tourist. This is due to regular buses unable to make the climb up to the village with the narrow winding roads. We had lunch at Gallo Cedrone, a cute little family-owned restaurant. Enjoyed bruschetta, pizza, cannoli, and almond wine. We had outdoor seating with a great view of Mount Etna, and the mother-son team made for good food and entertaining hospitality.

We got a little time after lunch to walk around Castelmola, then headed back down to Messina to catch a couple of sights, including the astrological clock at the cathedral of Messina. Then back onto the ship!

Evening on the ship:

Dinner was at the main dining room. The food at the MDR for the days we went was reasonable. Nothing mind-blowing, but nothing bad either. That’s typically our expectation of the MDR and hence why we vary it with specialty restaurants.

Also, we have started becoming best friends with Café al Bacio and making appearances at the Molecular Bar. Gareth the bartender was great, loved the drinks he made.

We killed some time in the evening with a card game that we enjoy called Ascension. I liked the Card Room onboard the ship. It was on the same floor as our stateroom, so it was easily to bring the game along with some snacks or in this case – a bottle of white wine!

Photos of the day are here…. http://www.flickr.com/photos/robynalman/sets/72157630048907642/with/7322846212/

Next up, the first sea day!

Fantastic photos! We did the Eastern Med last year and your pics (especially the food) are making me want to go back. I also had the prosciutto pizza at Gallo Cedrone, my mouth waters just thinking about it and the bruschetta!

Hi Robyn, enjoying your review too:)

I cleaned mine up a bit and submitted it to the Review Section.

I received a reply saying they are a bit backed up.

I want to go back too:(.....miss everyone.

Thank you Shooraq for doing this review. Getting so excited to go on the Equinox in two months:D:D:D

Thanks! And you are from where I want to visit in a couple of years! We want to do New Zealand so bad... but have to build up the tolerance of a long plan flight. Hawaii coming up will be the longest stretch. Hopefully within 5 years.... :D

Hi Robyn, enjoying your review too:)

I cleaned mine up a bit and submitted it to the Review Section.

I received a reply saying they are a bit backed up.

I want to go back too:(.....miss everyone.

I'd get this review done faster if work wasn't kicking my butt! I should have the sea day done tomorrow and start on Athens!

Yeah, it was a great trip with great people... wish everyone liver closer! :eek::D

Equinox Day 3 – At Sea

This was an easy day, but there were still things to do onboard the ship!

Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle:

At approximately 10:30am, Celebrity held the CC Meet and Mingle at the Sky Observation Lounge on Deck 14. It was hard to say how many people attended – maybe 50? Regardless it was a good turnout, and it was actually a pleasure meeting all these wonderful people who I’ve chatted with online for over a year! We met the Cruise Director and a couple of other officers/staff from the ship. Then after the meet-up was over, we began the organized Cabin Crawl and Poker Run!

Cabin Crawl/Poker Run:

Some of the CC members organized it so we could see the different type of staterooms on the cruise ship… everything from an inside up to a Celebrity Suite! It was very cool to see the features applicable to certain cabins. The good thing is although some of the suites look delightful, for Ben and I it isn’t worth spending the extra money. Insides still are great, with a possible upgrade to a balcony only if the price drops!

During the cabin crawl, we also had a poker run where each person participating kicked in $5. At each cabin we visited, we drew a card from the bed. At the end of the crawl, we had hands to set up our best and worst hands. I came close, but alas, no winnings. Better luck next time! We celebrated the end of the cabin crawl and poker run with water and limoncello in the Celebrity Suite!

Hot Glass Show:

This was the only show we attended on the ship! We typically don’t attend shows because the talent often is not up to par of what you can find at Broadway. Also, DH is a jazz/funk musician on the side, so it’s hard for him to listen to “adequate” singers or musicians.

Anyway, the Hot Glass Show is a custom-designed, outdoor glassblowing studio created in collaboration with The Corning Museum of Glass. Pretty amazing to watch close-up… you get to see how each person shapes the glass, heats it, adds color, etc. I took lots of photos and we stayed the entire 2 hours to watch each of the three glassblowers create a piece. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Silk Harvest:

Since it was the first formal night, we opted out of the main dining room. Since Celebrity is strict about attire for formal night, we like to abide by the rules. However, DH doesn’ not like have to lug a suit overseas and take up so much space in the luggage. So we go to specialty restaurants instead where the dress code is smart casual.

Tonight we went to Silk Harvest, the Asian restaurant onboard. Sadly, the food did nothing for us. It wasn’t horrible, but uninspiring. Every course from appetizer to dessert underwhelmed us. Perhaps it is because we live in an area outside Boston where we have a large selection of restaurants. We get to eat at some amazing Thai, Japanese, Korean and Chinese places all within a 30-minute radius. But honestly, I wouldn’t go back to Silk Harvest. Bistro on Five was soooo much better in my opinion, and it’s cheaper too!

That’s pretty much it… needed some sleep to prepare for a long day in Athens next! Check out the sea day's photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robynalman/sets/72157630049270886/with/7330427768/

Great review and helpful info. Hubby and I will be on the Equinox Oct. 26 (same itinerary). I booked a day with Mario in Sicily. After seeing your photos, I am so excited! I can't wait for you to review the other days on your cruise.

Great review and helpful info. Hubby and I will be on the Equinox Oct. 26 (same itinerary). I booked a day with Mario in Sicily. After seeing your photos, I am so excited! I can't wait for you to review the other days on your cruise.

Mario is great... funny personality. You should have a really nice time with him. :)

Hehe... I know... the goal is to have Athens and Ephesus up by the end of the weekend.

Equinox Day 4 - Athens!

Finally – the day that I thought would be a highlight of our cruise – visiting Athens!

Tour:

After a quick breakfast at the buffet, it was time to meet at Café al Bacio. I had all my arranged tours meet there and it worked out well – a good meeting spot that is visible, close to the stairs and elevators near the gangway, and gave the opportunity to grab a coffee before we go!

I arranged a 16-person tour with Private Greece Tours: http://www.privategreecetours.com/

Once I had everyone, we got off the ship and met with our tour guide, Vassilios and our driver (sadly can’t remember his name). Vassilios was a wonderful tour guide… very informative and very spirited about his country and the history and culture that surround it. Very educated given his background as a teacher. Everyone on the tour loved him.

Acropolis:

We spent a full day in Athens, covering numerous sights within an 8-hour period. We first headed to the Acropolis, where we got to see the Parthenon, Propylea, the Erechtheion, the Odeum of Herodus Atticus, and the Theater of Dionysus. The climb up to the Acropolis was doable and our tour guide made every attempt for us to stand in shade whenever available.

What is interesting about Athens compared to Rome or Ephesus is the condition of the ruins and city in general. The ruins are in a LOT of scaffolding and much of it is being renovated or replicated. It took away from the feeling I expected to have seeing the Acropolis. So while it was cool to say I saw these sights, I wasn’t blown away as I was in Rome or Ephesus (coming up in next installment…).

Other sights of Athens (plus lunch):

We then briefly visited the Temple of Olympian Zeus, the Panathenaic Stadium before heading to the Ancient Agora. We visited the museum there and saw some of the highlights of the area. Because it was a hot day and we were hungry for lunch, we opted not to climb up to the Temple of Hephaestus.

Lunch was at a restaurant in Plaka… I had pork gyros and a delicious dessert of kataifi…. Man, I wish I could eat one right now! (Must remember diet.) The last part of our tour was at the National Archaeological Museum, the biggest museum in Greece with one of the most extensive and important archaeological collections in the world.

Overview of Athens:

Our tour was great and I think it was our tour guide that really made it memorable. I would recommend Private Greece Tours to anyone in the Athens region. That being said, Athens was not my favorite port. With the current economic status, Athens seemed run-down. Graffiti everywhere, shabby looking housing complexes, ancient ruins in scaffolding. I wasn't overly impressed. Which is okay. I got to see Athens, and that's really cool. I just don't NEED to go back anytime soon.

The rest of the evening was uneventful... drinks at Molecular Bar, dinner at the MDR. Another early night because next day was anotehr full day tour - this time in Ephesu, Turkey!

Photos of Athens are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robynalman/sets/72157630061422138/with/7157909231/

Thanks! And you are from where I want to visit in a couple of years! We want to do New Zealand so bad... but have to build up the tolerance of a long plan flight. Hawaii coming up will be the longest stretch. Hopefully within 5 years.... :D

America to NZ is not that far, only about 10 hours flying if memory serves me well:p

Maybe you can combine the two, there is a 21 night cruise for $ 3,695 p/p leaving from LA ending in Auckland N.Z. or in the reverse, but there are a lot of seadays, 2 days Hawaii, 2days Bora Bora & Papeete and 4 days NZ. However no sailing the sounds, so would have to do that seperately. There might be better alternatives.

America to NZ is not that far, only about 10 hours flying if memory serves me well:p

Maybe you can combine the two, there is a 21 night cruise for $ 3,695 p/p leaving from LA ending in Auckland N.Z. or in the reverse, but there are a lot of seadays, 2 days Hawaii, 2days Bora Bora & Papeete and 4 days NZ. However no sailing the sounds, so would have to do that seperately. There might be better alternatives.

I can't imagaine! I visited my Friend last summer in Saipain - Marianas Islands- part of US actually, but it was 13 hrs from JFK to Japan and about 3 and half from Japan to Saipan and I was told Australia was another 4 to 6 from there. I was wore out w/ what I did... I'd love to see Australia too as I have a friend from there but I don't know when...

Hey! Great post! My husband and I leave in little over a week for our first ever medi. cruise (via Celebrity, Equinox), departing from Rome. I just had a few questions,

1.) Do you need to carry around your original passport between all ports?

2.) When coming back to the ship from being away all day, do they require any paperwork?

3.) We are not alcohol drinkers, what drinks do you get for free?

4.) We prepaid our grats., do we need to tip anymore?

5.) The casual dining, where its all buffet, where is that again? I'm a very picky eater, and believe this is where I'll be better off.

If anymore questions come up, I'll let you know!

Thanks! =)=)

Hey! My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in little more than a weeks time, I just had a few questions. We are doing the 10 night medi. via Celebrity, Equinox.

1.) Do we need to carry our original passports between ports? If so, are copies sufficient?

2.) We prepaid our grats., do we need to pay anymore?

3.) When coming back to the ship, do we need to show any ID or paperwork? If so, what is needed?

4.) Where is the buffet lounge located? What's food like there? I'm a very picky/simple eater and figure this will probably be my best place to eat. Is it opened 24/7?

5.) What drinks come for free on the ship? We don't drink any alochol.

Your response to this post would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

Jenny =)

Hi:)...I was on this cruise with Robyn and will try to help with some

of your questions.

They took our passports at the beginning of the cruise and did not

give them back until 2 days before we finished....so no, you don't

carry it with you in port.

When you leave the ship? You always need your S&S card (that is

your room key too). I also took my license...but that is just me.

The buffet is up on deck 14. I never ate dinner there but I know

Robyn will help you with that one.

You don't need to tip anyone else if you are paying them upfront.

Hey! My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in little more than a weeks time, I just had a few questions. We are doing the 10 night medi. via Celebrity, Equinox.

1.) Do we need to carry our original passports between ports? If so, are copies sufficient?

2.) We prepaid our grats., do we need to pay anymore?

3.) When coming back to the ship, do we need to show any ID or paperwork? If so, what is needed?

4.) Where is the buffet lounge located? What's food like there? I'm a very picky/simple eater and figure this will probably be my best place to eat. Is it opened 24/7?

5.) What drinks come for free on the ship? We don't drink any alochol.

Your response to this post would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

Jenny =)

Jenny,

It sounds like you might be on the same sailing I am, June 22nd? if so, come on over to our Roll Call thread and say hi. Besides signing up for the Connections Party, you'll find that we are also planning to meet informally at around 4 pm, or after Muster Drill, at the Oceanview Bar.

Now to give you some of my answers to your questions.

1) copies are highly recommended; some of us have photos in iPad or iPhone or etc. -- I never turn my phone on b/c of roaming charges, though

2) Lois already answered -- some nice places for a dollar or two tip are if you have room service and -- that's all I can think of, offhand

3) you will have to show your seapass card to get back on the ship -- and in Caribbean ports, you show photo i.d., can't remember about Europe!!

4) buffet is Oceanview Cafe, deck 14 -- wander around to see all that is offered before you dig in -- in the Caribbean, one juice station had calcium and vit. D. fortified o.j., others didn't, but also there are all kinds of food, all around -- and at dinner in MDR, I bet you'll find some choices that appeal to you, also -- AND go once to Aquaspa Cafe to check out their breakfast (nice small yogurt parfait) and their lunch

5) free -- coffee, tea, some kind of fruit punch, and/or lemonade -- and water!

Have a great time.

--May

I'm loving your review. It's the first place I check whenever I check CC. I'm going to wait until you finiish it and send it to my friends that are cruising with me on Nov. 16th. I'm sure they'll love it also. Thanks for putting the links to the tour guides that you used. That is very helpful.

Sally

thanks for the quick replies! =)

When is the mingle night? Is it the night of the 22nd?

I'm thinking to book my excursions through Celebrity just because I feel more secure that way, just because I am not familiar with how everything works.

My husband and I are from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Jenny

Are these done in the main dining room? or only in the specialty dining restaurants? these restaurants, you have to pay extra, right?

If you search Celebrity's site- Formal is for the MDR, the Specialty restaurants you can dress formal for- but their dress code is smart casual through out.

As far as tips- you might want to bring a few dollars extra to tip and bar attendants you feel are above- room service if you get it and we almost always give our room steward extra, because we almost always have one that goes above and beyond, but that choice is yours.

I would try the MDR food before you decide you don't want it- Celebrity's MDR is I understand better than most lines (ex. RCCL, HAL, Carnival...etc...)

Wish you a great trip!!!

Meg

Are these done in the main dining room? or only in the specialty dining restaurants? these restaurants, you have to pay extra, right?

Formal nights are only in the main dining room. The Specialty

Restaurants are all "Smart Casual" every night. And yes, they are

extra $. And yes, you might tip extra for room service or if you feel

others deserve something more....but you don't need to bring alot

of extra cash with you....depends on you.

Formal nights were the 2 sea days.

Robyn, looks like your review wins a blue ribbon from everyone:)

thanks for the quick replies! =)

When is the mingle night? Is it the night of the 22nd?

I'm thinking to book my excursions through Celebrity just because I feel more secure that way, just because I am not familiar with how everything works.

My husband and I are from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Jenny

Whenever possible, the meet and mingle is held on a sea day, but not always if very port-intensive. In our case, it was the first sea day, the day after the port of Messina/Sicily.

If people in your roll call are planning excursions and have space, definitely consider them. More often than not, the private excursions from tour companies not affiliated with the cruise ship are cheaper, you get to see more sights, and typically have less people. I started getting into excursion planning last year when I went on a Baltic Cruise, and now try to book as many prviate tours as possible. I use Cruise Critic forums and TripAdvisor to find highly recommended tours and then book them early to make sure they still have availability. I book tours a year in advance sometimes! :eek:

But if you are worried, booking it thru Celebrity the first time offers a comfort level. But I find that many of the excursions a cruise ship offers does not always have amazing tour guides. That and it is in huge buses of 50 people each, where many private tours can be 6-20 people depending.

Archived