ES Rate/ Insurance/ Cancel question!!!

futureAG

I hope someone can answer this question for me! When you purchase trip insurance (non-Carnival) and have booked the ES rate, if you cancel the trip do you get the deposit back? Let’s say I booked the ES rate in March, purchased insurance in June, got pregnant in July, and my sailing was outside the 20 whatever weeks you can be pregnant and cruise, would I get my ES deposit back? I’m totally fine with paying the $50 per person admin fee for cancelling, but I’m concerned about losing my deposit. I would like to transfer the deposit and extra money I’ve paid to an earlier cruise (one with in the 20ish weeks) So Carnival wouldn’t be “losing” any money, I don’t want any money refunded just moved to another sail date. Thanks!!

Your remaining $200/pp deposit sits in an account for you to use on another cruise within a window of time. If you want to cancel your cruise that is outside the pregnancy window and change to one that will be within the window, then you would pay the $50/pp change fee and I believe if you do it at the same time, people have reported that Carnival has applied the balance immediately to the new sailing. If you cancel, your money will be in an account, you'll have to pay a new deposit, and your account money would come off the back end.

Since you don't lose the money, the insurance would probably not kick in. I'm not sure if it would cover the $50/pp for the cancellation...others may be better equiped to answer that.

More than likely you would only be insured for the $50 fee, since that is all you lost.

The deposit is held as a future credit for 2 years, so you have not lost this money.

Carnival does have some policies where you can get the whole deposit refunded, you might want to check into... but by and large you only lose $50, so thats all you can be reimbursed.

Of course depending on the policy this could vary so read carefully.

Carnival is not going to allow you to use a future credit toward a already booked cruise unfortunately.

Your remaining $200/pp deposit sits in an account for you to use on another cruise within a window of time. If you want to cancel your cruise that is outside the pregnancy window and change to one that will be within the window, then you would pay the $50/pp change fee and I believe if you do it at the same time, people have reported that Carnival has applied the balance immediately to the new sailing. If you cancel, your money will be in an account, you'll have to pay a new deposit, and your account money would come off the back end.

Since you don't lose the money, the insurance would probably not kick in. I'm not sure if it would cover the $50/pp for the cancellation...others may be better equiped to answer that.

Now that I reread it .. I do think you are correct, that OP wants to move the money to a NEW booking.. I was reading it that she wanted to move it to a already existing earlier cruise.

OP if you move it to a new booking and book the new cruise at the same time as you cancel, you can get all but the $50 pp applied to the new booking.

See, I’m totally confused about this. The Carnival rep I spoke with yesterday told me I would lose my deposit no matter what the reason. Insurance - no insurance whatever, because I booked the early savers rate… I would love for it to sit in an account for later use, but she acted like if I cancelled it, there was nothing they could do that money would be gone. I’ve yet to make my final payment, waiting to see how it needs to play out first.

See, I’m totally confused about this. The Carnival rep I spoke with yesterday told me I would lose my deposit no matter what the reason. Insurance - no insurance whatever, because I booked the early savers rate… I would love for it to sit in an account for later use, but she acted like if I cancelled it, there was nothing they could do that money would be gone. I’ve yet to make my final payment, waiting to see how it needs to play out first.

Maybe the words she used were wrong.. unless you are within final payment (then the deposit is gone, correct) .. but until final payment you only lose the $50.

Are you past final payment?

Before final payment the remainder of your deposit minus the $50 pp is held for 2 years from the date you cancel with ES.

Maybe the rep thought by the time you cancelled you would be past final payment .. in which case standard cancellation terms apply, and I think most policys do not cover pregnacy, unless its cancel for any reason and that more expensive type which do not cover 100% usually.

After final payment it does not matter what rate you booked if you cancel, its all the same. The rep probably was talking if you cancel after final payment.

Now that I reread it .. I do think you are correct, that OP wants to move the money to a NEW booking.. I was reading it that she wanted to move it to a already existing earlier cruise.

OP if you move it to a new booking and book the new cruise at the same time as you cancel, you can get all but the $50 pp applied to the new booking.

Actually... It is a existing booking I'm wanting to move everything too. Sorry this is so confusing!! I just want to know if there is a way to cancel an ES booking and apply everything (but the admin fee) to another EXISTING booking without forfeiting the deposit?

Maybe the words she used were wrong.. unless you are within final payment (then the deposit is gone, correct) .. but until final payment you only lose the $50.

Are you past final payment?

Before final payment the remainder of your deposit minus the $50 pp is held for 2 years from the date you cancel with ES.

Maybe the rep thought by the time you cancelled you would be past final payment .. in which case standard cancellation terms apply, and I think most policys do not cover pregnacy, unless its cancel for any reason and that more expensive type which do not cover 100% usually.

After final payment it does not matter what rate you booked if you cancel, its all the same. The rep probably was talking if you cancel after final payment.

I'm sure I'm not saying this right!! SO SORRY!!!:o

My final payment isnt until September, & I have not finished paying the cruise off.

Actually... It is a existing booking I'm wanting to move everything too. Sorry this is so confusing!! I just want to know if there is a way to cancel an ES booking and apply everything (but the admin fee) to another EXISTING booking without forfeiting the deposit?

OK, I get you now. There is no way that Carnival will do this, so sorry. They will not bend on this one.

A lot of policies do not cover pregnancy, so read it very carefully.

If you cancel before midnight .. the day BEFORE Carnival's final payment, you only lose the $50 pp, and the rest is held for 2 years from the date you cancel.

Some people wait to cancel until closer to final payment, because the 2 year clock does not start ticking until the date you cancel.

OK, I get you now. There is no way that Carnival will do this, so sorry. They will not bend on this one.

A lot of policies do not cover pregnancy, so read it very carefully.

If you cancel before midnight .. the day BEFORE Carnival's final payment, you only lose the $50 pp, and the rest is held for 2 years from the date you cancel.

Some people wait to cancel until closer to final payment, because the 2 year clock does not start ticking until the date you cancel.

OK, let me make sure I understand this... If I wait to cancel the day before my final payment is due in september, EVEN THOUGH I've booked the ES rate, Carnival will "HOLD" my deposit for 2 years, I will lose $100 for Admin fees, & what ever else I've paid can be refunded to me or applied towards another current booking? I would be totally fine with with IF that is the case! :D

OK, let me make sure I understand this... If I wait to cancel the day before my final payment is due in september, EVEN THOUGH I've booked the ES rate, Carnival will "HOLD" my deposit for 2 years, I will lose $100 for Admin fees, & what ever else I've paid can be refunded to me or applied towards another current booking? I would be totally fine with with IF that is the case! :D

Yes, but I probably would cancel a couple of days earlier, just to make sure it goes thru.

You would lose $50 pp .. and the rest of the deposit is held. It is better to book another cruise at the same time as you cancel however, as they will not want to apply it to the deposit of the new cruise when you do book it... in fact they try and give it as OBC unless you push to get it applied toward the final payment .. of the new booking.

It is much easier to cancel and rebook in the same step, but no matter .. they will hold the remainder for 2 years from the date you cancel. I think I read you have only 3 years to take the cruise, 2 years to book it.

just one more FYIs. Even if you book the new cruise as a refundable rate, such as a promo or past guest, the amount of the future credit will be earmarked as nonrefundable .. so no matter if the new deposit is refundable .. this amount remains nonrefundable.

Hope this makes sense. So you cant wiggle around the nonrefundable part, even booking a different type of rate in the future.

I have cancelled an ES cruise (before final payment), lost the $50/pp, but had the remainder of my deposit added/credited to an already existing reservation. It didn't sound like it was an exception, it seemed very easy to do...

Is that what you're trying to do?

I have cancelled an ES cruise (before final payment), lost the $50/pp, but had the remainder of my deposit added/credited to an already existing reservation. It didn't sound like it was an exception, it seemed very easy to do...

Is that what you're trying to do?

Yes that’s exactly what I want to do! I was told (by carnival) that I would lose $50pp AND my deposit. The cruise I wish to apply the money too is also booked as an early savers rate, wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Maybe I just have to ask them to "hold" the deposit part. The Carnival rep didn’t say ANYTHING about that part, only that I would lose my deposit & $50pp if I canceled it.

Yes that’s exactly what I want to do! I was told (by carnival) that I would lose $50pp AND my deposit. The cruise I wish to apply the money too is also booked as an early savers rate, wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Maybe I just have to ask them to "hold" the deposit part. The Carnival rep didn’t say ANYTHING about that part, only that I would lose my deposit & $50pp if I canceled it.

Both of mine were early saver too... hmmmmm... if it were me, I'd call back and try someone else. Really, I didn't ask as if I were asking for something, I just asked if it could be done, and it was...

Because regardless of wanting to transfer the remaining deposit, as long as you are before the final payment date, you won't lose the rest of the deposit, it will be held for 2 years, so right there they're giving misinformation. As long as you are indeed talking about cancelling before the final payment date.

To be clear, are you talking about cancelling the January one?

If you'd want that deposit (minus the $50/pp) applied to the November one, you would have to do that before the final payment of November, which would be September 20ish. (I don't know how it would work applying the deposit to that sailing after you've made final payment on it).

I hope someone can answer this question for me! When you purchase trip insurance (non-Carnival) and have booked the ES rate, if you cancel the trip do you get the deposit back? Let’s say I booked the ES rate in March, purchased insurance in June, got pregnant in July, and my sailing was outside the 20 whatever weeks you can be pregnant and cruise, would I get my ES deposit back? I’m totally fine with paying the $50 per person admin fee for cancelling, but I’m concerned about losing my deposit. I would like to transfer the deposit and extra money I’ve paid to an earlier cruise (one with in the 20ish weeks) So Carnival wouldn’t be “losing” any money, I don’t want any money refunded just moved to another sail date. Thanks!!

Which Insurance and specific Policy do you have? The question will be, is cancellation for unexpected pregnancy occuring after you purchased the policy, covered under cancellation reasons. Most/many policies do not cover "losses" resulting from "normal pregnancy".

You booked in March, purchased 3rd party insurance in June and got pregnant in July? I'm thinking the timing between your insurance purchase and your pregnancy is going to come into question if you try to make a claim.

I'm not so sure that you can normally apply the ES Deposit less $50pp penalty to an existing cruise - why not call your booking agent to get their opinion. The ES Terms & Conditions only state that "A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date" -- so there may be some wiggle-room here, although is suspect the intent is to cancel and rebook a NEW ship/date!

ken

Archived