Escargot Shortage

mtk

I am about to sail on the Celebrity Summit and noticed that the new menus do not include on the 'always available" - Escargot.

On the boards, there was a post that there is a worldwide shortage for escargot and they expect the suppliers to be able to have this corrected in a "few weeks"

Any news about the escargot? I always look forward to having it on my cruise at least once.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is never too soon to start to worry about a shortage of escargot. I love those little guys, swimming in butter and garlic mixture. :) I am going on a cruise in January. It there is not a shortage then, there might be one after I get off the ship. :eek: It is sad but I think I have written or replied to more threads about escargot than about anything else. My DW pretends not to know me as I sometimes order 3 or 4 orders to start my meal off. :cool: Sometimes I ask her to order some so that it makes me look less like a PIG.:rolleyes:

On my ship we have found a solution to the problem.

We have taken all the erasers off all the pencils on the ship and are now substituting them for the snails.

The erasers have the same taste, same texture, and same nutritional characteristics as the snails, who died horrible deaths many years ago and have been stored in cans for the past decade.

The passengers cannot tell the difference.

On my ship we have found a solution to the problem.

We have taken all the erasers off all the pencils on the ship and are now substituting them for the snails.

The erasers have the same taste, same texture, and same nutritional characteristics as the snails, who died horrible deaths many years ago and have been stored in cans for the past decade.

The passengers cannot tell the difference.

You should have put a spew alert on this post!..........eraser bits all over computer screen!

It is never too soon to start to worry about a shortage of escargot. I love those little guys, swimming in butter and garlic mixture. :) I am going on a cruise in January. It there is not a shortage then, there might be one after I get off the ship. :eek: It is sad but I think I have written or replied to more threads about escargot than about anything else. My DW pretends not to know me as I sometimes order 3 or 4 orders to start my meal off. :cool: Sometimes I ask her to order some so that it makes me look less like a PIG.:rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat (hehe). I absolutely love those little critters! So much that on my first cruise when I was 19 on the QE2 they served them the first night - and I was swooning. I ordered more, and more (and more) orders that night. For the remainder of the cruise the waiter just had them for me each night when I showed up for dinner - didn't even have to ask. Pretty awesome intro to cruising! :)

I found that the best way to enjoy escargot and to savor it a little longer.

I also request the desert cheese platter at the same time as the escargot. Sometimes it works. Escargot, cheese, bread rolls and a glass of wine is the way to start a dinner. Mmmmmmm.

Yummy! That sounds like a great combination to me. :)

• 2 months later...
I found that the best way to enjoy escargot and to savor it a little longer.

I also request the desert cheese platter at the same time as the escargot. Sometimes it works. Escargot, cheese, bread rolls and a glass of wine is the way to start a dinner. Mmmmmmm.

I too love the escargot on Celebrity and pray they have them for our November 2012 cruise out of San Juan. Your suggest of ordering the cheese platter at the same time is gastronomic genius! I'm definitely going to try that.

Karen

I too love the escargot on Celebrity and pray they have them for our November 2012 cruise out of San Juan. Your suggest of ordering the cheese platter at the same time is gastronomic genius! I'm definitely going to try that.

Karen

On every cruise that I have taken (many), I always tell them that they should have a small appetizer plate of cheeses on the menu. Would go good with many things. Escargot, shrimp cocktail, fruit dish, etc. There are some times that I am not very hungry or like the selections, therefore, I could just make a meal of the appetizer, salad, bread rolls and desert. I have discovered that a chat with the staff well before the meal has had better results. Harry :cool:

Archived