The quandary that is the on board credit

I wonder if any of you are as confused about on board credit as I am?

While we were on board Sun Princess earlier this year we booked Fijian Jewels for March 2013. As we'd made this years' booking with an agent the cruise consultant made the on board booking 'through' the same agent.

When the reservation confirmation was sent to us we both had $120.01 obc, $100 each from Princess and 60.01 (we presume) from our travel agency. Total obc $320.02

Last week Princess had a sale. We'd originally booked a BE gtd at $2498 each. Last week a BD was down to $2171 and Princess was offering $185 additional obc so we cancelled and rebooked (love the no charge cancellation with future cruise credits). When confirmation came back from our agent we actually had total of $405 obc so $385 from Princess and looks like $20 from our agency.

Yesterday a friend who is travelling with us (it's my 50th while we're on board) came and said prices are down again (we haven't even had a new invoice issued by this time).

Sure enough, a BD with our agency is now $1997! $500 each less than same time last week! On the phone again and our cruise agent had seen the price come down again. She'd contact Princess for us and see if we could change (again) to the new fare.

I got a call yesterday afternoon that we could get the new further reduced price but that total obc would now be $300 instead of $405. No biggy cos we're still saving bucket loads, pretty close to $1000.

But the obc thing puzzles me. Who does it actually come from?

When I made the first change I was told the additional $60 each was from our agent as a 'rebooking' thank you. So, the agency was was giving us this $120.

When we rebooked, Princess gave us an additional $185. Total obc was $405 so the agency was now only giving us $20. With the third go at this booking Princess are giving us an additional $85 so at $300 total our agency is now down to giving us a $15 rebooking thank you.

Maybe tas get very little commission and yes we are causing rework by rebooking, but it all seems a bit odd that $120 from our agent has become $15.

And there endeth my vent for the day :D

If our booking is an example no.

Original Princess obc of $100 each for booking on board is the only one that will carried over by the looks of things.

We were going to get an additional $185 (total) when we rebooked first time, but with second rebook lost that and will now get additional $85 (total) from Princess.

Like I said, we've saved nearly $1000 (so 20%) and are both very happy. I just wanted to know if this obc thing is as confusing for anyone else as it has been for me.

pete

When we booked our last cruise with an overseas TA, we were told we would get a certain amount OBC.

However, when we chose a guarantee booking, we were told no OBC. Was later given $50, as a gift.

I guessed it was because TA got less commission.

The OBC from the agent falls as it comes out of their commission. As they are getting less, they have less to give you (unless they run at a loss!)

While it's probably true as a percentage that the reduction in OBC has been greater than the reduction in their commission, they've been doing work each time re-booking and the changes are because you've made a lot of savings each time, so it doesn't sound unreasonable. Some TAs can be difficult organising re-bookings - or not do it at all - so the fact they've helped you readily instead of making it difficult because they're getting paid less now (and haven't charged you for it) make it reasonable in my eyes.

Hi Newfarmers, did you book your cruise and cancel x 2 with an australian or overseas agency?

I have done a bit of work and still havent found any australian agency who allows cancellation and rebooking and gives OBC.

Would love to know of any out there. my email is gran.of2@hotmail.com

Thanks

We cant recommend agents (against the CC rules) but some aussie agents do give OBC or meals, wine etc. The big disadvantage of aussie t/as are the booking conditions i.e. big deposits, cancellation fees etc. If you can use a future cruise letter they give you more flexible booking conditions and as the letter serves as deposit you dont lose anything.

Basically all you can do is do your research ask cruising friends, check out other websites etc. Make sure you are on mailing lists so that you know about flash sales etc.

Sue

Hi Newfarmers, did you book your cruise and cancel x 2 with an australian or overseas agency?

I have done a bit of work and still havent found any australian agency who allows cancellation and rebooking and gives OBC.

Would love to know of any out there. my email is gran.of2@hotmail.com

Thanks

someone else asked the same thing the other day and left their email and their post got deleted so your one may do the same thing

we booked for next year while we on board Sun Princess earlier this year (so $100 deposit each, no penalty cancellation). The future cruise consultant transferred the booking to the agent we had booked through straight away and it is through them that we have cancelled and rebooked. As Sue said, it is one of the perks of booking on board

pete

Thanks Newfarmer,

I also paid a deposit for a future cruise but it was celebrity. I don't recall any perks like being able to cancel and rebook.

It also caused major drama when my travel agent tried to have the deposit transferred to her. celebrity claimed it had to be done within 60 days of paying the deposit. All sorted now but Celebrity didnt earn any brownie points in the process.

Archived