Westerdam internet

It is always slow. You should get better speed thru your own computer if you connect wirelessly, as opposed to using the Internet Cafe. Wireless has bad spots, but if you look around a little, you will probably find lounges or other locations with better speeds, then perhaps your cabin.

I was told by the Neptune Concierge on the canal transit that one of the things done during dry dock was a $5M upgrade of on-board communications, cellular (passenger and crew) and internet. I must say I was impressed with the improvement in speed. I did note the increased speed before asking the Concierge. :) We were in a Deluxe Veranda aft of mid-ship, starboard side.

Dennis

From all our cruising experience the connections on board, regardless of wired or wireless, are best described as tortoise-esque. If you can, use a wired connection so you're not hampered further by the wifi's speed.

Have a great cruise!

Derek

If you can, use a wired connection so you're not hampered further by the wifi's speed.

The main bottleneck is the ship-satellite connection speed, so 100 Kb/s wired (on ship's computers) vs 50 Kb/s wifi to the ship server makes little difference.

From all our cruising experience the connections on board, regardless of wired or wireless, are best described as tortoise-esque. If you can, use a wired connection so you're not hampered further by the wifi's speed.

Have a great cruise!

Derek

I would have to disagree. Our last cruise on N. Amsterdam the wireless was much faster than using ship's computers. Much faster.

It is very slow ....

It has gotten somewhat faster than it was in the past year. The company that provides the service has made some equipment upgrades.

Nowhere near what you experience on land.

The main bottleneck is the ship-satellite connection speed, so 100 Kb/s wired (on ship's computers) vs 50 Kb/s wifi to the ship server makes little difference.
I meant Mbps in both cases. The best speed a passenger gets is about 0.4 Mbps (400 Kbps) so that is the limitation, not wired vs wifi.

On our N. Amsterdam cruise, the Internet Cafe staff had some new advice. Use the mobile address of your e mail provider on the ship's computers. It is usually m.(service providers name). com or net. It will load a lot faster.

On our N. Amsterdam cruise, the Internet Cafe staff had some new advice. Use the mobile address of your e mail provider on the ship's computers. It is usually m.(service providers name). com or net. It will load a lot faster.

I learned that trick a couple of cruises ago. It does work! The problem with it is the navigation is quite different than you are used to.

I highly recommend practicing with it at home, where you're not paying $0.40 (or more) per minute, for a while before you leave.

Thanks for all the information. I was unhappy with the Zuiderdam's internet but my expectations were high. I think I will sign up for a small amount and use wifi spots in the ports we visit. It might be a better vacation to be not connected all the time. Thanks again

ChelseaSailor

Archived