Water change for pools?

heavenlysea

HI,
Last summer we were on the Freedom of the Seas and noticed how dirty the pools got toward the end of the week. :( It was obvious they hadn't been skimmed or the water changed. Does Princess do a better job? I'm especially interested in the longer 10 day cruises as we'll be on the Emerald next spring.

Thanks!

[quote name='heavenlysea']HI,
Last summer we were on the Freedom of the Seas and noticed how dirty the pools got toward the end of the week. :( It was obvious they hadn't been skimmed or the water changed. Does Princess do a better job? I'm especially interested in the longer 10 day cruises as we'll be on the Emerald next spring.

Thanks![/quote]
I have always thought the Princess pools looked very clean. I am not sure if they drain the pools during the cruise or if they just do a good job cleaning.

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]First of all, ewwwww.

Second of all, Princess's pools are freshwater, chlorinated pools. So they are always "clean": the water is tested at regular intervals. They only empty and scrub it if something untoward should occur. I've never been a Princess pool I've felt was less than clean, and I'm easily icked out.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

We've experienced the pools being drained and refilled numerous times throughout the week, on ships where they use sea water...Freedom of the Seas pools are fresh, treated water....you should have brought it to the attention of someone....

Princess uses treated water, don't they? No need to drain!

The pools and hot tubs are drained frequently and cleaned every morning. Additionally, the water is tested throughout the day. I woke up early on the Emerald to walk on the jogging track before sunrise and would see this happen for the aft hot tub and two pools every morning.

However, I was also in the Terrace Pool while the ship was undergoing an inspection while in St. Thomas, and the water was tested. We were all asked to get out and the pool was ordered closed by the inspector. It was re-opened hours later, after we left port, without being drained. Hmmm. That's when you kind of have to trust that whatever was wrong was fixed.

Been on a 10 and 12 day with hPrincess and have never seen anything other than a pristine pool. These were also heavy pool usuage cruises. One being a Med cruise in the middle of sumer and the other a Caribbean cruise.

[quote name='jpthomas27']Been on a 10 and 12 day with hPrincess and have never seen anything other than a pristine pool. These were also heavy pool usuage cruises. One being a Med cruise in the middle of sumer and the other a Caribbean cruise.[/QUOTE]
Look at my post #14. It happens sometimes.

[URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23612598#post23612598"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23612598#post23612598[/URL]

Drained doesn't always mean, well, drained. The pools can be pumped into holding tanks allowing surfaces to be cleaned then refilled with the same water that was in them before.

Supposedly in really heavy seas this process can also be used for emergency ballast.

[quote name='PescadoAmarillo']The pools and hot tubs are drained frequently and cleaned every morning. Additionally, the water is tested throughout the day. I woke up early on the Emerald to walk on the jogging track before sunrise and would see this happen for the aft hot tub and two pools every morning.

However, I was also in the Terrace Pool while the ship was undergoing an inspection while in St. Thomas, and the water was tested. We were all asked to get out and the pool was ordered closed by the inspector. It was re-opened hours later, after we left port, without being drained. Hmmm. That's when you kind of have to trust that whatever was wrong was fixed.[/quote]

Thanks everyone for your reassurance. The adult pool on the Freedom was dirty because people dropped fruit from their drinks or straws. There was also a mystery foam that was disgusting. It had built up over the week. I kick myself now for not saying something!

We booked the back of the Emerald just for the location by the pool so we could be close to it.

[quote name='heavenlysea']Thanks everyone for your reassurance. The adult pool on the Freedom was dirty because people dropped fruit from their drinks or straws. There was also a mystery foam that was disgusting. It had built up over the week. I kick myself now for not saying something!

We booked the back of the Emerald just for the location by the pool so we could be close to it.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][I]The Terrace pool is very nice on the Emerald - but make sure you get there early, not a lot of lounges so they fill up fast!;) The water has always been clean & clear but very chilly!:p Enjoy![/I][/SIZE]

Archived