Carnival excursions in Alaska

DragonMouse

SIGH...I'd love to do at least ONE excursion in Alaska. But I don't know what to do. My husband wants to see wildlife, whales and a glacier. But I don't want it to be too slow for my 16 year old son either.

They're so much more expensive than the carribean excursions I'm figuring they're going to have to be limited for the three of us. (I do like Carnival excursions because I know they'll get us back on the ship)

How is getting tours etc outside of Carnival, like on the ports? What would your recommend doing without getting an excursion.

Alaska is the USA...

there were vendors and kiosks at the ports...

Juneau especially...don't go with Stories and Legends they stood us up and others....we went with Juneau tours..got a much better price at the dock

I booked TNT...trail of 98 tours in advance for Skagway and went to Yukon, it was fabulous....saved money and we had van to ourselves..

did the sled dogs for less at Cariboo Crossing too

Ketchikan I just walked around, went to "Dolly's House" that was a trip LOL

Carnival will tell you and scare you about Ketchikan..."it's illegal to sell tours at the pier">> yeah right...just walk off the pier and go to the Tourist info building where all the very same tours are sold for much less <grin>

ie, crab tour, lumberjack, duck, even flightseeing..even island wings

flight see from ship $279..we were offered same company for $199 for one or $179 each for 2 people

Play Monty Hall and make a deal

have fun

SIGH...I'd love to do at least ONE excursion in Alaska. But I don't know what to do. My husband wants to see wildlife, whales and a glacier. But I don't want it to be too slow for my 16 year old son either.

They're so much more expensive than the carribean excursions I'm figuring they're going to have to be limited for the three of us. (I do like Carnival excursions because I know they'll get us back on the ship)

How is getting tours etc outside of Carnival, like on the ports? What would your recommend doing without getting an excursion.

Our "must see/do" in Alaska was with Michelle at Island Wings in Ketchikan. Floatplane up to the fjords. I can't imagine anyone not being in awe of the view and experience. She is the only one with permission to get out and walk around on land vs pontoons.

She fills up though; so if you are interested, I'd get ahold of her now. We did flight plane with her both of our trips and they were both amazing and well worth the price, imo.

http://www.islandwings.com/cruise-ship-visitors

If we go a 3rd time, I will book it around the time the bears are out. We have been in June and August and have not seen bears yet. :(

Depending on when you go, the salmon ladder is free and pretty cool to see. 1000's of salmon jumping up the ladder. We saw them running in August, but not June.

In Junea, we booked the helicopter tour to Mendenhall (landing on glacier) with dog sled ride. It was amazing but expensive. We didn't think we'd ever go back so tried to do everything while we were there. We did that tour (thru Carnival because we didn't want to take chances) and then we did a Whale watching tour. You can knock out whales and glacier in one swoop! We booked the whale watching/glacier tour last time and visited the Mendenhall center briefly. WAIT...I lied...we did see a couple of bear cubs way up in a tree at Mendenhall in Juneau.

Skagway: we enjoyed the train over to Canada...but your son might get bored and want to sleep on the way down!

All my research for both of our Alaska trips was done on CC. Tons of suggestions and reliable information. I've yet to be steered wrong.

Alaska is amazing and if your son can relax and enjoy the surroundings; he won't be bored...just "relaxed" & blessed that he got to see Alaska!! (although it might take him till his later years to truly appreciate it!) The cruisers (meals/clothing/AK people) are more laid back.

Hope you find what you want here on CC...if not, he can always book a Canopy tour and get his thrills! :)

One thing to remember about Alaska is that you are at home so you don't have all the crazy passport rules about flying. If you get left behind, while it is inconvenient to catch the ship or get home, all it takes is a photo ID and a credit card.

There are a lot of inexpensive excursions that will get you to see wildlife and things like that, especially eagles. Find an independent whale watching tour.

I highly suggest you go to the Alaska boards you will get much better info than you will find here in the Carnival boards.

This is one place where you are better off doing your own tours and you do not have to worry about missing the ship.

On our trip to Alaska a few weeks ago, in Juneau there were tour stalls set up when we walked off the cruise ship. We paid $16 round trip x 2 with Juneau Tours to take us out to Mendenhall Glacier. Their buses pick up at the port every 30 minutes to take people out to Mendenhall, and they also pick up at Mendenhall every 30 minutes to take you back to the ship. The bus driver even drove us around to show everyone the pick up point for the return trip. We paid an additional $3.00 each to go into the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center. We loved our visit and walk down to the water's edge at Mendenhall. Great waterfall down there.

We did the Carnival Ultimate Yukon and White Pass Railroad Adventure Tour about 8 hours in Skagway...it was a bus ride up to the Yukon Territory with lunch and at Caribou Crossing. On the way back we took the train ride. On the way up, it was fogged in most of the trip and we couldn't see much. By the time we took the train back, it was great. We saw lots of snow on the way back. At Caribou crossing our son was able to take the dog sled ride at the mushing camp. He booked when we got there, and it was about $33 for fifteen minutes. The train/bus ride was about $209 each plus we booked before the cruise and was able to use one of the Carnival 10 percent discounts.

The one tour our group really enjoyed was the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer trip that Carnival offers. It was about three hours. We took the afternoon trip. A catamaran pulls up alongside the ship to take you on the tour. We got closeup views of a glacier--I think it is called Dawes in the Endicott Arm Fjord--we were unable to get to Tracy arm because there was too much ice. On that excursion, we also saw a bear and whales breaching. It was about $179, and we could only book it by emailing Carnival before the cruise. There are only 2 departures for this trip 11 a.m. or 2:30 p.m. This was a fantastic tour!

In Ketchikan we just walked around on our on and took the Creek Street walking tour. It was fun and we got some great pics. My sister took a Carnival float plane trip for about $279 and she loved that excursion.

In Juneau our son took the Carnival Mendenhall Glacier Via Helicopter and Guided Walk Tour where they dropped his group of six people off and left them for about 30 minutes to walk around with a guide. Our son...loved, loved, loved this tour! It was the highlight of his trip. It was $299 plus we used another one of the 10 percent discounts that someone here on CC had published. We also booked this one online. He is already talking about going back to Alaska. He wants to see and do more.

There are a lot of choices in Alaska. Also, on most of these tours the prices were less for children. Have fun!

On our trip to Alaska a few weeks ago, in Juneau there were tour stalls set up when we walked off the cruise ship. We paid $16 round trip x 2 with Juneau Tours to take us out to Mendenhall Glacier. Their buses pick up at the port every 30 minutes to take people out to Mendenhall, and they also pick up at Mendenhall every 30 minutes to take you back to the ship. The bus driver even drove us around to show everyone the pick up point for the return trip. We paid an additional $3.00 each to go into the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center. We loved our visit and walk down to the water's edge at Mendenhall. Great waterfall down there.

I have to second this one. It was one of the best -- and cheapest! -- excursions we did. We all loved it ... grandparents, aunt, uncle, and kids (14, 12 & 10). My kids especially enjoyed the extended hike to the waterfall. It took about an hour and saw lots of BIG wolf tracks in the mud. Thankfully though we didn't see the wolves that made the tracks!

I live in Alaska so maybe I'm more comfortable saying this... Since Alaska is in the United States, I would take excursions outside of Carnival. I know things are expensive here like fishing trips and helicopter rides, sightseeing ect. Add Carnival or any cruise ship into the picture selling you excursions, it's going to be even higher priced. I have heard from people sailing to Alaska and they said their excursions cost more than their cruise. Where when I go to the Carribean, the excursions are less than the price of the cruise.

Try to find something that is reasonable without booking through Carnival. Then enjoy on a budget. :)

the only tour i have done with carnival is the tour too get closer too sawer glacier. it is a '' wow '' tour for the money. i was so glad i took it. other than that there are very reputable tour co's in all the ports that will give you a great tour. i have too admit that saxman village in ketchikan was kind of a dissapointment too me. others really enjoyed it but i was kind of bored. NO FLAMING PLEASE . but the flight with michelle of island wings, chilkoot tours and capt larry were great tours and so worth the money. i agree your son might get bored on the train. skagway is pretty small so count on more people there too contend with. book early if you decide on something too do.

go over too the alaska thread and you will get tons of info to help you out. also the west coast ports too check out the city you leave from.

We did the Whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier tour package through Juneausbestours. I see it's going for $130 for adults and $110 for children (not sure what age is considered a child) but the whale watching part in is from a 16 passenger jet boat. Any whale they spot, they can get in it's vicinity really fast. Then the grandeur of Mendenhall. There is also a path nearby that bears visit. Found evidence of their meals. Whatever you decide to do, he will understand that is something most of his friends will never get to experience.

Enjoy.

Mike.

OP, the tour operators in Alaska are going to get you back on time. Bank on that. We each have our own comfort level. Mine is such that on such an expensive cruise, there is no way I would wait until I hit the dock to find a tour. Between CC and other travel sites you can find independent tour operators and more reviews then you can read. Some of the better tour companies sell out. Why wait? This isn't some dime a dozen port in the Caribbean.

We used Orca enterprises for a whale watch in Juneau. For a little extra, they dropped us off at Mendenhall glacier. I think most all of the whale tours will do that. We were there after the buses stopped running, so we arranged in advance as to when they would come back and pick us up. Right on time, smooth as glass.

In Skagway we took the White pass railroad, via Chilkoot charters. Great train ride coupled with a great tour in a comfortable small tour bus.

In Ketchikan we took a boat tour out to Misty fjords. The plane ride out there is better from the pictures I've seen, But if you don't want to get into a small plane (like my wife) the boat trip is a great second choice.

I don't want to be presumptuous or tell you how to spend your money. But if you were a personal friend of mine, I'd advise you to save on things like an expensive cabin, and put the money towards excursions. For many of us, Alaska is a once in a lifetime trip. You really-really should take good excursions and get away from the "company stores" in the port stops. If I was reluctant to use credit cards, and didn't think I had enough cash, I'd put the trip off for a period of time until I could gather the money to do Alaskan excursions.

Just my 2 cents. Some of you can save your breath. Not interested in arguing.

I agree that with Alaska, it's one of the places that you should look at the independent excursions instead of Carnival's. I can't remember what companies we went with in Alaska, but the only place we booked a Carnival excursion was in Victoria, and that was only because of our very limited time there.

In Skagway we did the train ride. (3 hours) you board 100 feet from the ship. About $120 pp but well worth it. Lots of wildlife, history and fantastic scenery. Juneua; a cab ride to Mendenhal Glacier is $35 each way + tip (our group was 6) and about $3 pp entrance to the visitors center. Lots of trails and you are right up close to the glacier. Got back to town and visited "The Red Dog Saloon" with an old time paino player and another place with the name of red in it ( a former brothel from gold mining days) where the girls dress the part and invite male customers "upstairs" Pretty much $4 for a pop or beer at both places but worth the experience IMO. Lots of other things to do. The itinery is great, enjoy yourself and take lots of pictures.

My friend spent 3 summers in Alaska. She is like an expert with excursions and stuff. She loves to help people out, etc. She has lots of pictures too. Contact me if you would like her contact information. She has done tons of excursions, whale watches, bear watches and all kinds of stuff. She loves to talk about it and share her expieriences with others. She She has tons of photos and could recommend lots of things to you. There is also alot of info on the

Alaska board.

My friend spent 3 summers in Alaska. She is like an expert with excursions and stuff. She loves to help people out, etc. She has lots of pictures too. Contact me if you would like her contact information. She has done tons of excursions, whale watches, bear watches and all kinds of stuff. She loves to talk about it and share her expieriences with others. She She has tons of photos and could recommend lots of things to you. There is also alot of info on the

Alaska board.

Sure I'll take all the advice I can get.:)

I really appreciate what many have said. I normally agree not to get a grand cabin but...hubby really wanted a special one this time and it was a good deal in comparison with OTHER cruise lines. I am really leaning toward the Meldnhall Glacier and whale tour. Then taking something from the dock for the rest. I think it's too late for the Tracy Arm excursion (does anyone know if you see whales on that tour? should I fight for it?...wildlife probably and the glacier for shur...but I don't know about whales). I'm thinking this cruise is a "taste" of Alaska then one day we'll go back and straight into Alaska. Sounds like if we get a hotel near the ports we'll get the benefits of both worlds.

Keep the ideas rolling they're wonderful. Personally I'm not super hot on the train...It sounds beautiful but I'd like to get out. Can you get a better price on "ziplining" at the dock?

Archived