Windjammer -first day and more

We've not been on a ton of cruises, but we've been on enough to see quite a bit of poor behavior. This is the "It's my vacation and I'll do whatever I want" behavior. Yes, you spent a lot of money for this trip but so did I and common manners shouldn't go out the window when you board. The ship is a community in essence and you have to live with these people for the next several days. We've seen it time and again. Usually my wife and I will look at each other and roll our eyes. Sometimes however my wife "lets the person know" that they need to grow up however. :eek:

:cool:I just got done reading a review of a gentleman who just got off Explorer. His review started with day one and said "got on ship at 11:30 and immediately went to windjammer for lunch. It can get pretty crowded so try to get there early and get a seat. Had lunch and sat there until room was ready at 1:30."

Well son--the reason it was crowded is becuase of guys like you who eat and then sit there for an hour or more afterward talking or in this case waiting for your room to get ready. Please eat, then head to another common area so others can find a seat. That is what you do in the windjammer:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Well Dad, not necessarily, but maybe you should have said that to him. I rarely see what you said. I won't say never, but rarely. I mainly see people putting their luggage at all 8 seats of a big table while they get there good or people not willing to share tables that first day. We travel just the two of us and on that rare occasion we find a table open, we sit on one end and let anyone who is obviously looking for a table that the rest of the table is open.

Lets just put a happy spin on this, you read my post already so you know my feeling on rude, inconsiderate, passengers but I have to say this. The majority are nice people, the majority are nice people, often whole families of nice people. Its still the minority that are jerks. We meet quite a few very nice people who we grew to love during the cruise. In the MDR on our last EOS cruise to Bermuda we had the nicest people ever. They were SUPER nice, it was 3 couples from Virginia with beautiful and nice families. They were so nice, they were all friends and then us but they made us feel SO welcome. They even bought wine for my wife[i don't drink at all]. I hope I see those people again on a cruise someday. The point is lets not make it out that 95% of the ship are jerks, its more like 95% are great people. That other 5% are a horror. By the way on our Honeymoon cruise EOS to Canada/NE [LOVED IT!] in October we were just about the youngest people on the cruise. We are both in our 30's and most of that ship were quite a bit older. While there were still some inconsiderate, selfish people there was very, very few. That speaks to a generational thing. We met quite a few older couples, older people that we just loved.

I went straight for the compass deli. Its better than the buffet and no one seems to know about it on the first day.

I don't think the voyager class ships like the Explorer OTS have a compass deli. They have Cafe Promenade which is open for lunch day 1 (although on my Voyager OTS pizza was not available in Cafe Promenade until after 6pm on day 1). Also, these ships are also getting either the Boardwalk Dog House or the Park Cafe, either of which might also be open for lunch on day 1.

We've not been on a ton of cruises, but we've been on enough to see quite a bit of poor behavior. This is the "It's my vacation and I'll do whatever I want" behavior. Yes, you spent a lot of money for this trip but so did I and common manners shouldn't go out the window when you board. The ship is a community in essence and you have to live with these people for the next several days. We've seen it time and again. Usually my wife and I will look at each other and roll our eyes. Sometimes however my wife "lets the person know" that they need to grow up however. :eek:

I am usually the one who lets other people know that they are being jerks, but I have promised my husband that I am not going to say a word unless a passenger is physically harming a crew member. I am also going to make sure and not make any irregular demands of the hard working crew, I am willing to be that the service that I get will meet or exceed my dreams.

People are so self absorbed these days, I am sure we will see the full range of stuff from kids making absurd room service orders without tipping all the way to passengers hugging their waiters with tearful goodbyes.

Archived