Good msg boards online for land only trip to AK?

4_Leaf_Clover

I love cruisecritic and have always used you guys for my cruise travels. Ya'll were a ton of help for my Alaska cruise! Thank you!!

We loved Alaska so much that we are planning a "land only" trip in a couple of years and I want to start my research now :rolleyes:

Does anybody know of a great travel or Alaska message board where I can get great info for land like I can get for cruising from cruisecritic?

The Alaska forum of tripadvisor. And if you look under Top Questions you'll find a link to this year's trip reports ( not too many yet), and for last summer as well. The reports are usually very detailed so they provide helpful information on lodging, activities, travel times. They are a great resource for developing an itinerary. The trips can be car/hotel or RV or ferry/small plane, and can last from 3-4 days to 3- 4 weeks.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

Borrow some Alaska travel books from your library to learn about the various destinations. You will also find useful information on town web sites. ie www.seward.com or www.kenaipeninsula.org Most places will send a free visitor guide.

I find tripadvisor forums to be a far superior resource over cruisecritic. More 'experts' who can provide suggestions or help when you're struggling with an itinerary.

I have had great success with the Alaska board on FlyerTalk (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-449/). They are not as active on that board as some others, but I have received great feedback and advice within a couple of days (or less), and always from people who are quite familiar with Alaska. I find that FlyerTalk in general has people who are much more into independent than group travel, so that's where I've had my greatest success.

One piece of advice ... do some of your own searching and reading on that site before posting questions as you will be much more appreciated than if you just post a question right away. The cool part is that just about everything I could think of had been covered previously, at least to some degree.

I have had great success with the Alaska board on FlyerTalk (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-449/). They are not as active on that board as some others, but I have received great feedback and advice within a couple of days (or less), and always from people who are quite familiar with Alaska. I find that FlyerTalk in general has people who are much more into independent than group travel, so that's where I've had my greatest success.

One piece of advice ... do some of your own searching and reading on that site before posting questions as you will be much more appreciated than if you just post a question right away. The cool part is that just about everything I could think of had been covered previously, at least to some degree.

Thanks, will check them out!!

Archived