Allure of the Seas 6/3/12 - a picture review

Fantastic review!! Thanks for all your hard work putting it together--I've got less than 5 weeks to go before I'm onboard.

I had a quick question about Cozumel. How crowded was Chankanaab? From your pictures, it doesn't look very packed. Was it easy to get a chair/hammock? Do you think it would be a good choice for children (ages 6 and 8)?

Chankanaab is great for kids that age. Our kids were younger than yours when we took them and we all had a great time. Check out the Ports of Call Board for more info. We most recently went to Paradise Beach on our last cruise, which was also a really nice day.

Fantastic review!! Thanks for all your hard work putting it together--I've got less than 5 weeks to go before I'm onboard.

I had a quick question about Cozumel. How crowded was Chankanaab? From your pictures, it doesn't look very packed. Was it easy to get a chair/hammock? Do you think it would be a good choice for children (ages 6 and 8)?

Hi mivama. Thanks for the kind words! As far as Chankanaab goes, if you aren't doing a dolphin excursion or something of the sort, I'd recommend going to either Paradise Beach or Mr. Sancho's as they have better beaches and more things to do water wise. I didn't take advantage of the stuff Chank had to offer other than the dolphins but it was relaxing. You're right it wasn't very crowded when there. Partly due to the fact that only the Magic and Allure were docked that day. I don't think there were any other ships docked.

I booked this restaraunt but my husband does not eat seafood at all. How did you know what was going to be on the menu ahead of time and what was the process of calling ahead to substitue a meal out?

Thanks

Hi there tennisstar! What a coincidence as Lindsay played tennis in high school and college. Anyway, she doesn't really eat seafood and thus we requested to have a substitute for the seafood dish, they said not a problem. There will definitely be a seafood dish (probably just one). The menus are posted as soon as you are onboard, both outside the restaurant and on your stateroom tv. You can call and request a substitute for that dish. :) I'm sure you'll both enjoy it as it was my favorite.

Thanks for all your help. We were going to do the Samba on the 6th night to celebrate our Anniversary.

Hi Iris! Nice to see you here. When will you be on the Allure?

This has been an awesome review. Thank you for taking the time to write it. In May it will be our turn.:D

Hi there tennisstar! What a coincidence as Lindsay played tennis in high school and college. Anyway, she doesn't really eat seafood and thus we requested to have a substitute for the seafood dish, they said not a problem. There will definitely be a seafood dish (probably just one). The menus are posted as soon as you are onboard, both outside the restaurant and on your stateroom tv. You can call and request a substitute for that dish. :) I'm sure you'll both enjoy it as it was my favorite.

Hey terpfan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I played tennis in high school but that was some odd 10 years ago, I just kept the using the screen name anyway, lol! Good information to know b/c I know I will have to call and substitue the seafood dish out as my husband cannot stand any seafood, I don't know how he made it this far w/o eating it b/c I LOVE it!

Thanks for the awesome review. I am not sure if I will do one when I get back or not since there are so many on here about the Allure.

we are doing eastern caribbean with stops in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Marteen. Anybody eat in Samba?

My husband and I (Stacy and Todd that Jeremy has been writing about) went to Samba the first night of the cruise as it is 1/2 off on nights one and two for those who are MTD. We really enjoyed it though it is so so so much food! I made sure to try at least a bite of each of the different types of meat but certainly could not eat all of each. It might also have been better if I hadn't taken anything from the salad/appetizer bar to start but it was really good too! They also serve vegetables, steak fries and sweet plantains with the meat. And don't forget to save room for dessert! They have 3 different desserts to choose from (a mango moose, chocolate cake, and flan). We shared one of each and finished all but the flan (we're not big fans of it though it was probably the best I've ever had). Overall, totally worth it - I would even have paid the full price for this as it is much cheaper than any similar steakhouse out there and probably just as good! Hope this helps!

Thanks again for posting your very informative review! We did DRF about 10 years ago and had fun but aren't interested in doing it again (especially with 2 kids). Out of curiosity (and for ideas when we are there next month), what did your friends do while in Falmouth, and did they have fun?

Hey tropiclvrs! I am Stacy (Jeremy's friend that he has been writing about). We went on a ship excursion that included a Jamaican bobsled and the Dunn's River Falls. It was really fun and something different for my husband (who had been to DRF before). After an hour ish long ride to a place called Mystic Mountain we rode a sky lift up to the top of the mountain where the bobsled ride was. Next we rode the bobsled (Todd drove) - it is sort of like a roller coaster track but you control the speed and do not go upside down. We had about an hour and 1/2 on the top of the mountain to ride the bobsled and then you could check out the little museum, go in the infinity pool or grab a bite to eat. From there we went to DRF which for me was amazing having been my first time. Todd had been before but still enjoyed it. The port of Falmouth itself is very small and has a few shops but is nothing special. Unless you book an excursion of some sort its probably just better to stay on the ship!

My husband and I (Stacy and Todd that Jeremy has been writing about) went to Samba the first night of the cruise as it is 1/2 off on nights one and two for those who are MTD. We really enjoyed it though it is so so so much food! I made sure to try at least a bite of each of the different types of meat but certainly could not eat all of each. It might also have been better if I hadn't taken anything from the salad/appetizer bar to start but it was really good too! They also serve vegetables, steak fries and sweet plantains with the meat. And don't forget to save room for dessert! They have 3 different desserts to choose from (a mango moose, chocolate cake, and flan). We shared one of each and finished all but the flan (we're not big fans of it though it was probably the best I've ever had). Overall, totally worth it - I would even have paid the full price for this as it is much cheaper than any similar steakhouse out there and probably just as good! Hope this helps!

Did you find Samba Grill to be on par with Brazilian Steakhouses on land?

Hi Ginny: How are you feeling? All settled in the new house?

We are going 10-28. Have you ever been on the Allure? If so, any tips? Take care and keepin touch

You will beat us on the Allure as we are not going until May. I am looking forward to your review!;) Feeling good and settled in.

I am also interested in Samba. Our group of friends are thinking of the dining package that includes Samba Grill. I think it is the $55 one.

Terpfan,

I forgot to ask you one more question, how does the tipping work in the specialty restaurants? Do they just bill your card that you have on file with them and is it a certain percentage or do you just put whatever you feel the deserve.

Thanks!

Are the daily compass posted under another link or are they not posted yet. I am attempting to catch up on your review. I have been out of town and wonder if I missed the orig. posting of the compass from your trip.:p

So this review is taking me a long time to finish! I don't mind though as it's letting me keep the memories going just a bit longer! Anyway I'm nearly through with the review after this post. >SNIP<

Wow ! Great Pics Terpfan. . . I am loving your pics and trip report, and and it makes me want to sail Allure of the Seas once again !

Thanks for taking the time to post your pics. . . It seems you two really had a great time !

Radio

;);)

Thank you for the wonderful review! I do have one more question. I am in the process of reserving my entertainment for the Sept cruise. I wonder if the Love and Marriage show is taped and played on the tv. Do you remember around what time L and M began? Would one need to be there 15 before the show begins to secure a good seat?

Thank you for the wonderful review! I do have one more question. I am in the process of reserving my entertainment for the Sept cruise. I wonder if the Love and Marriage show is taped and played on the tv. Do you remember around what time L and M began? Would one need to be there 15 before the show begins to secure a good seat?

Yes the Love and Marriage show will show on the tv. Not sure about the rest of your questions though. I would think that getting a seat would not be a problem, but not sure. I was on the Allure the first part of June. Have fun. Great ship.

Archived