Oxygen

Mimi39

My DH has COPD and as of yesterday is on oxygen. According to the the to the provider, they can supply oxygen to be delivered to the cruise ships and hotels when we travel. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm hoping for some words of encouragement! We don't sail until November.

My DH has COPD and as of yesterday is on oxygen. According to the the to the provider, they can supply oxygen to be delivered to the cruise ships and hotels when we travel. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm hoping for some words of encouragement! We don't sail until November.

I have seen people with O2 on board . Actually talked to him . He used a Oxygen Concentrator at night and a tank during the day.

My husband is on oxygen 24/7. He travels with a battery powered Sequal which he uses to drive to the port, stay in hotels along the way and get onto the ship. Once on the ship he uses liquid. We rent a 100# canister from carevacations.com and the refillable portable units. They also provide a concentrator for overnight use (plugs in to the electricity). Contact them at least a month before sailing. The ballpark price in the USA for 10 days or so is just under $500. You will also have to contact your cruise line for specifics.

Technically, he could use the Sequal the entire time but the refillables are smaller and more portable. Also, if the Sequal failed during the cruise, I'm sure they'd put us off the ship. So we rent the liquid as a backup.

Feel free to email me (link below) if I can answer any specifics.

We've done this several times on Royal Caribbean or Princess. I don't know anything about flying with oxygen, we don't do it.

I'm in a little different situation. I had phrenic nerve damage during open heart surgery and only need oxygen when active (meaning anytime not sitting down). I have a Respironic Evergo because we fly a lot and I didn't want to worry about multiple oxygen devices. Since January 2011 we have traveled to Europe, 2 times to Hawaii, and a trip to Southern California with an Alaskan cruise starting the end of the month. I bought enough batteries to last 32 hours with worrying about recharging.

My DH is oxygen depedent as well. We have the Sequel Eclipse III which DH uses in the cabin and the Respironics Evergo (pulse setting) for daytime. The Sequel is continuous flow (there is a new Evergo that is continuous as well - we bought last year just before it came out).

We have extra batteries for all - which are kept fully charged too.

The Evergo is a carry unit (like a camcorder case). My DH loves the freedom of it.

Both units we have the car adaptor as well.

We do not fly - so we cannot give pointers for that.

With all the battery life we have, we probably are good for a minimum of 36 hours (more if he were to lower the setting a bit or use pulse only).

Part of what you can do is research what options are available to your DH for the flow he needs as well (without knowing, it is hard. My DH uses anywhere from 2.5 to 3 - or more on "bad" days).

We did our first cruise since "life with oxygen" in March and it was awesome. Can't wait for the upcoming ones.

Enjoy your cruise!!

I too have COPD and am oxygen dependent. I carry a Respironix Evergo

concentrator with an extra set of batteries. That gives me 16 hors of continued use. It is airline approved and I use it to fly with no problems.

I plug it in and recharge the batteries at night.

Get a letter from your doctor stating you require oxygen and are healthy enough to cruise with it.

Since you don't leave until November you also have time to call Princess and have a larger concentrator, or tanks, delivered to the ship. Every cruise line has certain providers they will accept oxygen from - your provider may or may not be approved so you should check with them first!

Our 8 and 9th cruise is coming up with oxygen - relax and enjoy!:):)

• 2 weeks later...

Each line has its own rules and requirements. In some cases, you will find the information on their websites, in others you have to contact the line specifically.

Some lines require different time documentation. Some airlines want the documentation signed within 10 days, others a month and others documentation is for a year. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE DOCUMENTATION with you. We have seen passengers denied boarding because they did not have the right papers.

Michael

Thanks everybody for all the great advice. I am also cruising in November, 15 day San Francisco to Hawaii on the Star Princess.

I have been on oxygen for almost 2 years now at a high flow--5 lpm. At home I use a concentrator & drag around 50ft of tubing. For out & about, I use an Evergo. However, it is not the best solution for me because it only does pulse. I must walk very, very slow. But I like the fact that I can charge in the car or from any available outlet. Because of my high flow rate, I only have 4 hrs of battery life on the 2 batteries in the machine.

My plan is the same as suggested by bjboothman--concentrator & liquid oxygen. With liquid oxygen, I may not have to rent a scooter to get around.

Trish

on the California Central Coast

I have a question for those of you who own a "travel" concentrator like the Sequal (continuous-flow). Do you also own a regular-sized concentrator that you use for home?

Since I only need oxygen for sleeping, it seems like a lot of money since the travel unit would be out-of-pocket for me. Insurance allows me to purchase DME every 4(?) years, but I still have to satisfy my high deductible. Meanwhile my current home unit is about 5 years old.

We have considered purchasing a used travel unit without getting insurance reimbursement. That would be a smaller expense that would pay itself off (in avoiding rentals for cruise/air travel) in about 1.5-2 years. And it would also give us the convenience of a smaller unit for car trips. Just curious how others deal with this?

My husband is on oxygen 24/7 and uses a large concentrator at home - we also have a imogen g2 that we use to travel with as it has 16 hours of battery (2 batteries) this weighs about 10 lbs - we came across an air sep free style on craigs list - new- and a lot cheaper than the medical stores - which only weighs 3 lbs - we keep it in the car plugged into the cigarette lighter and if he has to get out of the car its easier to carry --

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to just have the liquid oxygen delivered to the cabin and fill "travel tanks" for out of cabin use. Is the liquid oxygen able to be used from the large tank with a continuous flow regulator? Does anyone know how many liquid oxygen tanks can be delivered to the ship and how many tanks would it take for a 7 day cruise. DH is on 24/7 oxygen set at 3 and continuous flow while sleeping, but pulse while awake.

We are all new to this and would just like info before we try to book another cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Please be aware that the numbers on portable oxygen concentrators just tell you what is higher & what is lower and DO NOT correspond to anything more. A 2 on one unit is NOT similar or the same as a 2 on another unit.

I have COPD -- emphysema from no known cause. I need supplemental oxygen for flights and altitudes of 3500+ feet. I am very pleased that there are options now for those of us using supplemental oxygen. I love the mobility we can have from both liquid oxygen and portable oxygen concentrators. I use the portable oxygen concentrator with LOTS of extra batteries to fly (I rarely use more than part of two batteries, but bring extra, "just in case.") I have used and very much like the lighter weight of liquid oxygen. As was said, you MUST contact the cruise line & be sure that your equipment is OK to bring aboard and which companies they prefer/approve. Whomever supplies your O2 in your hometown can also help you, especially for your hotel and perhaps for your cruise O2 as well.

I love the convenience of having my personal oxygen concentrator (POC), since I fly many times/year and don't always have a lot of advance notice. Prices vary considerably for the POCs, as do weight and output. I have had a Sequal Eclipse which weighs about 20 pounds but does have wheels. One of the good things about it is that it does provide continuous flow for folks who need that. I prefer the lighter weight of the Respironics EverGo, which I have used on dozens of flights now, as well as when we're at altitude and I don't arrange with a supplier to provide me supplemental O2 at my hotel (e.g. when we toured many national parks at elevation in 2010).

Whatever you're considering, please be sure it will meet all your anticipated O2 needs. If you need continuous flow, there are only a few POCs currently available that offer this. If you need a flow rate higher than 3 liters/minute continuous, you will need delivery other than POC. Try out whatever you're thinking of using BEFORE you book it for your vacation, so you know it will meet your needs & be something you can manage. There is no point in having a heavy, bulky device that is too heavy for you get manuver, especially if there are alternatives.

Liquid O2 is WONDERFUL, but the reservoirs are large and bulky. It also is an additional cost and CANNOT be used on aircraft. The canister you use to carry around is only about 3-5 pounds and can be worn on your waist or as a backpack. If you have more questions, you can call COPD Information Line 1-866-316-COPD (2673). Good luck!

Is it possible to just have the liquid oxygen delivered to the cabin and fill "travel tanks" for out of cabin use? Is the liquid oxygen able to be used from the large tank with a continuous flow regulator? Does anyone know how many liquid oxygen tanks can be delivered to the ship and how many tanks would it take for a 7 day cruise. DH is on 24/7 oxygen set at 3 and continuous flow while sleeping, but pulse while awake.

We are all new to this and would just like info before we try to book another cruise.

YES. YES. One large liquid oxygen tank (reservoir) and one "travel tank".

Archived